Engine rebuild

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
eq00155
G-Private
G-Private

Engine rebuild

Post by eq00155 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:28 pm

Hello everyone, I'm new here and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for engine rebuilding place near Los Angeles. My engine is working and runs but I want to clean it up and get it set so it can last another 50 or so years.

Bart1015
G-Major
G-Major

Re: Engine rebuild

Post by Bart1015 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:25 am

Jimmy Strauss Jeeps in Diamond Springs. It would be a bit of a drive but you could send him your engine via Fastenall or any-the shipping company.

https://www.jimmystraussjeeps.com
1942 VEP GPW, J-2 winch, BC-659, 1919a4
1945 GPW, 1943 MBT
Sold - 1967 M151a1, 1943 MB, M416
www.ToThePointPolygraph.com

1942 Ford GPW 352nd
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:31 pm

Your query is excellent timing as I had just had my engine rebuilt by Jimmy Strauss. :D I am restoring a 42'GPW with my 15 year old son and plan (hopefully) to keep it in our family and for future generations. The project is going well and I wanted to have the engine rebuilt so that it can last a lifetime, provided that it is maintained properly. As it is a sizeable investment as part of the project and the "heartbeat" of the jeep, I had researched shops locally and other shops in a few other states.

Jimmy Strauss was recommended to me by a friend on the West Coast. Recognizing that Jimmy's place is located a few thousand miles from my home and that it would be another cost with shipping preparation (crating) and transportation, I wasn't sure if I wanted to deal with a shipping carrier. However, I felt that I had to inquire as he was highly A+++ recommended to me. After speaking to him by phone and also in learning that he gets his part through a reputable supplier (RFP :D ), I was convinced that I needed to have him rebuild my engine. His team is knowledgeable on MVs and has rebuilt numerous L134 engines. In fact, one of his workers - Norm is a veteran that had serviced MVs during WW2 and is on-site doing some of the work and helping others. You can see him and Jimmy on one of RFPs videos that Scott has produced by clicking on the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn2QwP1UR6M

During the rebuild process, Jimmy's group had noticed a few issues with my engine components that needed to be resolved. :evil: Not sure if someone else would've proactively examine the other engine components or also has the technical knowledge or professional network, but had they not discovered this, it would've resulted in me spending a fair amount of time troubleshooting and fixing these issues. He called me periodically, sent me photos the engine during the rebuilding process and even sent a video of the engine running when it was finished! He was always respectful and was always available by phone to address and alleviate any question that I had along the way. My only issue with the experience was with the shipping courier. However, Jimmy and Ron (RFP) had stepped in to get the shipping issue resolved and quickly! Of course.

It was comforting for me as although it was a sizeable investment, I am confident that I made the best decision to go with Jimmy Strauss Jeeps. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me if you have any questions as I would glad to share more about my experience!

I will be updating my restoration page soon, but you can see my past progress.
viewtopic.php?f=96&t=307978

Good Luck!

Todd

eq00155
G-Private
G-Private

Post by eq00155 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:49 am

Thank you very much gentlemen, it looks like it's a 7 hour drive one way for me and that's well worth it for this task. I appreciate your recommendations! Will be giving Jimmy a call.

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”