MB138134 The long road to resurrection

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
360seb
G-Civilian
MB138134 The long road to resurrection

Post by 360seb » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:05 pm

Hey!
This is my first post in this forum, I’m from Timmins Ontario,Canada.
I just acquired a 1942 Willys MB Serial number: MB138134, body #40087
She’s in rough shape but started to do a bit of research on her and want to do lots more before I do anything to her.
From the bit of digging I’ve done it appears to be a CDLV-505 contract, which is great as I’m Canadian! It’s got the rings still present on the rear crossmember, provisions for the electric wiper, signs of service manual tag above steering column, lockable glovebox and storage boxes, no jerry can holder or rifle holder signs, etc.
My favourite discovery is she has the remanence of the “axle light/stop light” switches and tag on the dash, convoy light mount and faint white paint on the rear diff. It also has holes over the passenger headlight where a bridge plate could of been.
All good signs she might of been in British convoys in Europe then came back to Canada?

The tub is in rough shape but repairable. The flat top grill is still present and hood has the deflector on it as seen on early slats.
The frame is surprisingly in great shape! It has painted multiple times throughout its life which helped save it. Typical front horns and bumper will need replacing but no heavy rust.

Engine is not the original one but that almost expected.

She will eventually be restored after I finish my CJ2A, hoping to start after Christmas.

Looking forward to the advice and information you all have on these machines.
Attachments
ACB659B4-A267-4089-9AAE-D293BE0D0BEF.jpeg
2FEDAF46-AB50-4678-B44A-B5DAC3780484.jpeg
0A53C882-8BD0-4F70-8890-5F50AE0D7515.jpeg
8786409F-0D7B-4EA1-B330-2AF3EC6D5BE7.jpeg
3D5488EB-BFD6-4BBE-86B6-DBE86D293B8A.jpeg

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: MB138134 The long road to resurrection

Post by 70th Division » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:26 pm

Hello 360 SEB,

Wow you have a great Jeep right there :D :D :D
A great save indeed !
Welcome to the G503 !!!
I think your jeep is a rare Willys script Jeep with a stamped grill !!
Very nice, and actually looks to be in good shape.
What a find !!!
Plus it being a Canadian Jeep is an excellent factor and a piece of Canadian WW2 History.

Keep us updated on your progress once you get your CJ2a finished.

When you start ....
Carefully hand scrape the paint from your hood to see if you can locate the original Canadian hood numbers, and any markings on the body sides, dash, and even windshield. There may be traces of unit crests
painted on the front of the windshield.
If you find them , you have found its history :D :D :D :D

Your front frame horns actually look pretty good and repairable !
Just carefully cut away the pipe bumper.
You can take a new gusset bracket for the bumper and cut it down to size to match
and weld it to the existing section of the bracket that is riveted to the frame rail.
If the triangle is cut away on the end of the rail where they welded the pipe on, a piece there can be welded in to repair the frame rail ends. It comes out pretty nice, and is fairly easy to do :D :D

I did that repair on my 1942 GPW, it looks perfect now :D :D

Best Regards,
Ray

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”