A B-17 Fortress, Two Jeeps and a Dodge - My Ongoing MV Journey

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Re: A B-17 Fortress, Two Jeeps and a Dodge - My Ongoing MV Journey

Post by armyairforce » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:39 pm

The Dodge was parked up next to the garage to check its height in preparation for the modifications to raise the doors. This will allow the Dodge to fit inside and give more clearance for the Jeep with the roof up. At present, Jessie's Follow Me sign would be too tall to fit through the door.

In the shot below, all three vehicles can be seen together, the first time since Bowes Railway in June 2019.

Steve Carr - Only dead fish swim with the stream
My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:42 pm

Durham Photoshoot Trip - March 30th

With the UK 'Stay at Home' rule ending on March 29th and today the 30th, being a nice sunny day, my daughter and I took the opportunity to go for a Jeep ride around the local area. It was only around 11 miles, but we stopped at several locations on the route to take some photos. The first couple of stops were quite close to home and for most of the route, we looked for country lanes to drive.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:44 pm

I took over 100 photos and have thinned them out to just a handful here. In most cases, there are two photos from each location. It was nice to be out with the Jeep, surrounded by countryside with some lovely views and lanes to drive.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:46 pm

"Jessie the Jeep" was in 100th Bomb Group Ordnance Depot markings for this outing. It was a lovely Spring day with real heat in the Sun. I went out with my fleece flying jacket but didn't need it. I'm counting this photoshoot trip as our first 'event' of 2021. I'm hoping there'll be several real events this year too. Several event organisers are planning to hold events this year unless circumstances change and dictate cancellation.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:54 am

GPW Test Drive - April 10th

After cleaning and gapping the plugs and points, I went for a short test drive in the GPW. Recently, I've suspected a failing cylinder head gasket having had the coolant level dropping, most being blown out of the overflow. It took a litre to top it up today, after the February house move drive. The engine has been a little lumpy sounding when first started, but cleared up once on the move.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:56 am

It was a lovely day to be out, though still a chill in the air.

When we got back, the coolant was down a little with more fresh spray over the front axle where the overflow pipe points at. I'm guessing the running engine was leaking passed the gasket, pressurising the coolant system, forcing it out of the overflow. So after parking up in the garage again, I drained the radiator and while it was empty, fitted a new drain cock, as the wings on the old one were damaged. I've ordered a new head gasket, so hopefully it will arrive soon and I can get it fitted in the next week or so.

Half an hour after getting home, the sky was thick with snow flakes the size of marbles. Half an hour after that, back to blue sky and sun. Don't you just love the English weather!!
My Websites

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:02 pm

Very nice, beautiful weather to enjoy it in. I think we got your rain, so no work on my '42 today :)

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:14 am

April 14/15th - Head Gasket and Pedal Spring Replacement

The first thing I did was drain the oil and coolant. I wanted to check the oil for coolant. With the radiator empty, I fitted a new drain cock as the wings on the old one were damaged. I've had the replacement drain cock for a while, but just waiting for an opportunity to swap it. Next job was to remove the oil filter and the radiator hose, then I could unbolt the cylinder head and take off the oil filter bracket and air filter pipe.

With the head off, I found coolant between cylinders three and four. I'd suspected a leak, but wasn't sure where.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:22 am

On the 15th, the gasket was fitted and head bolts torqued up. Before the first start, I turned the engine over on the starter for several seconds to pump some oil and coolant around the engine. It was run to temperature, cooled and re-torqued, then run again, cooled and re-torqued. I had a bit of a dash up and down the drive to put it under a bit more load and left it to cool down again for another re-torque. I planned a proper test drive on Friday 16th, once Lynne was around so I'd have recovery assistance.

While tinkering, I also fitted a new clutch pedal and brake pedal spring. The old ones didn't have much spring left in them, giving a very limp clutch pedal.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:31 am

Jeep Anniversary Drive - April 16th

On 16th April 2005, we drove to Scotland to collect "Jessie". On the same date in 2014, the insurance began for "Hope" allowing a first drive of the GPW. Now in 2021, it's sixteen years since we bought "Jessie" and seven years since "Hope" returned to the road. We decided an anniversary drive was in order for both Jeeps to celebrate their time with us. It also provided the opportunity to give "Hope" a test drive with the new cylinder head gasket. We waited until early evening as the sun was getting lower in the sky. The temperature was dropping, but it would give us better photo opportunities.

Like my other recent trips out, we didn't stray too far from home and found country lanes to drive and lay-bys for photos. At the first few stops, I popped the hood open on the GPW, checked for leaks and checked the radiator level.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:38 am

All was good with the engine over the first few stops, so we kept going. I took the lead as I'm now a little more familiar with the local lanes than Lynne is. Since looking for the new house, I'd spent some time on Google Earth planning Jeeping routes!

Initially, the daylight was still bright and the sky blue, but as the minutes passed, the light started to become a more golden yellow as the sun headed for the horizon.

Last edited by armyairforce on Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:41 am

The drive continued, passing the house once and heading through a couple of local villages from several different directions. We got a few waves and toots on car horns as we toured around, but generally, the roads were quiet.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:45 am

We'd already passed some nice looking trees down one lane and decided to head back there to wait for the sun to drop lower in the sky. That location would give the best backdrop for the sunset. This time, we approached the trees from the opposite direction, allowing the Jeeps to be photographed from the front with the sunset behind. The sun was quite low in the sky, but not right down to the horizon.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:48 am

It was going to be another half an hour before the sun reached the horizon, but as the temperature was dropping even further and my daughter was turning blue, we decided to head home. Once home and putting the Jeeps away, the sun was setting and while my last picture looks orange, it was actually bright crimson.

The following day, having put some miles on the new gasket, the GPW head bolts were checked again with the torque wrench, but this time they didn't tighten any further.
My Websites

MP45
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by MP45 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:37 am

Great pictures, thanks for sharing with us. I had been waiting for next update.

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”