trailer to transport jeep

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
Andy K
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
trailer to transport jeep

Post by Andy K » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:38 am

Hi all, first time posting so be gentle :wink:
I'm about to purchase my for jeep, hopefully a GPW that we plan to roam the UK with towing behind our motorhome taking in 40's events etc.
Any thoughts on fitting an A-Frame or using a trailer?
I seen the A-Frame thing done and i'm thinking about it but for the cost i'm wondering about going a bit more and getting a trailer to avoid any possible issues with drivetrain.
If you've used an A-frame or a trailer, any recommendations or what to avoid.
Thanks

eclipse
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant
Re: trailer to transport jeep

Post by eclipse » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:49 am

Not a fan of tow bars. Too hard on 5.38 gears. This may seem a bit overkill but I recommend a 2 axle trailer. A tire failure on a dual axle trailer is much less dramatic. And you can use it for other duties as needed.
1951 M38
1953 M37
1962 Navy DJ3a
1969 M274 A5
Member of:
AMVCC & AHMTA

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:28 am

Never been a big fan of tow-bars myself. Something about dragging a vehicle with a steerable front end, behind another vehicle, up to speed, makes me nervous.
But, a lot of people do it.
If you go this way,
For short distances, have the transfer case in neutral. Takes the transmission out of the picture.
For longer trips, more anti-wear measures are used.
Remove the drive shafts. Front and rear. What a pain.
You can install lock outs. If you have a military jeep, that won't be correct, if you are concerned about correct. There are front lock outs available and I have heard of rear lock outs, but those require different axle shafts. Some modification required and expensive.
A trailer is much more simple. Same as eclipse, I like tandem axle trailers for hauling vehicles.
Drive the vehicle on and when you get where you are going, drive it off. More time to have fun !
If you want to go a step farther. A covered trailer. Keeps the jeep dry on the rainy days and a secure place to store your jeep and any extra stuff, you might want to take along.
Oh, Welcome to the "G".
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

JIMN
G-Major
G-Major

Post by JIMN » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:34 am

Trailer is much better.
Only drawback is more space and more weight. If those aren’t an issue spend the extra money on the trailer.
Maybe an aluminum car trailer, but they cost more than a regular steel trailer.
1941 Ford GP, 1944 Willys MB, 1943 Bantam T3

Andy K
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Andy K » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:43 am

Thanks guys, i think i'm heading towards the trailer option, laws in the UK seem to make A-Frame's illegal for anything but recovery, it's a little bit contentious with some and i have seen two GPW/MB's being towed this year on one. The smart thing for me to do is jump in deep and get a twin axle trailer.
Cheers,
Andy

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:10 am

Go for the trailer Andy, my opinion only, i think A frames on the front of a jeep just dont look right. And welcome to the "G". :D

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:43 am

Too many issues with an A frame, and if you break your jeep while you are out you are stuck. If it breaks on the road, well imagine what can happen. Do it safe and get a small trailer. Here no vehicle inspection on less than 3K# but pushing it on the weight. Over 3K# need inspection and all axles need brakes. Then if it rains your canvass seats get wet, windshields get bent or wind drag issues. I liked the covered, V nose trailer while i had it, but it was heavy. Now I use a toy hauler, however you have a powered motor home so if it was me a small 16 foot, OAL, covered trailer painted or graphics on it to match your motor home. The trailer mfgs will make what you want, a 16" dual axle, 2K #tare, low profile, V front, torson axles etc. Or just a plain aluminum lightweight 4K# GWV trailer

Adam

Scrumps
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Scrumps » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:20 am

Andy,

You can’t tow over 750kg without brakes.

Legally you need to rig up a system where the Jeeps brakes operate on over run if you tow on an A-frame.

I’d go down the trailer route, you can get some Ifor Williams or Bateson’s for sensible money.

Scrumps
Dec '42 Willys MB
Aug ‘44 Willys MB
2021 New Defender 90 D250 HSE
2005 Landrover 90 CSW
2024 Range Rover Sport
1967 MGB
Royal Navy Weapons Engineer 1979-2007.

Andy K
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Andy K » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:45 pm

Just bought a nice little trailer off a gent in South Wales :D to go with the GPW i'm going to buy, should be here next week - woohoooo! finally taken the plunge :-)

Andy K
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Andy K » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:22 pm

Scrumps wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:20 am
Andy,

You can’t tow over 750kg without brakes.

Legally you need to rig up a system where the Jeeps brakes operate on over run if you tow on an A-frame.

I’d go down the trailer route, you can get some Ifor Williams or Bateson’s for sensible money.

Scrumps
Cheers Scrumps, having seen a couple being towed i thought it was possible in the UK but having spent the day reading all sorts on posts on the net i got to the same conclusion, don't know what the guys were doing that i saw and that's their business but i'm off down the trailer route now, cheers.

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”