Folding down the windshield.

G503 General Discussion and Chat Board where users can discuss any topic about their jeeps. Jeep Use both On and Off Road, Handy & Safety Tips. Topics that don't belong on the Technical Boards, such as personal restoration progress etc. It functions as a Clubhouse.
Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: Folding down the windshield.

Post by Mark Jesic » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:22 am

Guys, the problem is now solved. The sheet metal on the windshield frame was bulging out very slightly, causing the rub. I tapped it back using a small block of wood and a hammer. Hey presto sorted, and finished off with a spray of O.D. Many thanks guys for all your help on this thread. :D

Ben Dover
Gee Addict

Post by Ben Dover » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:55 am

Having that "right" block of wood sure comes in handy. Great job! :wink:
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:52 am

Have you checked the WeeBee Webbing chart to see if your windshield is in fact bent back somewhat? It is worth checking because if it is bent back enough, your top will be too long at the rear and the rear top bow will sit forward of the "pocket" in the top it is supposed to ride in. It could also shorten up the rear panel and make the straps appear to be "too short" when compared to other jeeps. You want a good bit of canvas overhang at the rear to keep water running down the rear panel from getting into the rear of the jeep. It's bad enough that water will enter the front where you and a passenger are riding in a decent downpour! I keep a Vietnam War-era poncho under the rear seat for just those situations where you went from A to B in cloudy weather only to try to return to A from B in rain.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
GPW 108552 4/17/43 Louisville, KY. USA 20371278 (DOD est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3 4582 10/29/42 USA 0173499 (est.)

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:40 pm

Chuck, an interesting reply, my canvas top fits fine, with the overhang at the back. Good call though. :D I do avoid taking it out in the rain but hey, this is England, so be prepared. Good idea with the poncho, i will look out for one at our next military show.

Return to “G503 General Discussion Board”