JOIN THE MVPA

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

JOIN THE MVPA

Post by Joe Gopan » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:11 am

Support the hobby, share MV knowlege Join the MVPA today.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Michael O.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: JOIN THE MVPA

Post by Michael O. » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:13 pm

I second Joel’s sentiments! I’ve been a member since I was 19 years old and attended my first Convention in Kansas City in 1993.
Michael O’Connell

Too many jeeps…and a Dodge.

MVPA 13861

Kevin Lockwood
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Kevin Lockwood » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:40 am

I thank you for the thread!
I joined in the early 90s and have been glad I did.
With the current and past efforts by federal and state agencies to decline registration and/or plates to surplussed MVs it is vitally important that we continue to recruit members. The MVPA works hard every day to keep our interest alive and viable. The more members we have the more likely it will be that we have the resources and individuals in place to plan events and defend our operating privileges.
History in Motion
42 Ford GPW
42 Oshkosh AAF Snowblower
41 White M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M2A1 was M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M3-75 halftrack
42 White M4A1 was M4 halftrack
43 Diamond T M3A1 halftrack
43 White M16 was M13 halftrack
44 LVT-3 Landing Vehicle Tracked

rondo
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by rondo » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:10 am

I'm a little annoyed with the MVPA. In that the last few years I've been jobs in our state 'affiliate' ie newsletter editor, secretary, and president. we never hear from the MVPA. We share the newsletters each month and send them biographical data, get the insurance, but we don't hear from THEM.
For example there is supposedly a 'best newsletter' competition, for which we submitted them, but then nothing is ever heard, and never even an acknowledgement that it was received. so we gave that up.
I think the MVPA should take advantage of the fact that they have the attention of 1-2 maybe many more? clubs (affiliates) in each state and around the world, and use that influence to maybe send out a blast from someone, such as a short note from the leadership. I know that if we ever heard from a MVPA leader, and we put it in our newsletter, it might motivate more members to join.
Communication is a free resource that is not utilized
42 GPW; 41WC6
"moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men"

Michael O.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Michael O. » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:26 am

Rondo, hopefully Kevin Lockwood can offer some assistance here? I don’t understand why MVPA HQ hasn’t responded to you. Kevin...is there an issue with the full time secretary at HQ?
Michael O’Connell

MVPA 13861

Kevin Lockwood
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Kevin Lockwood » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:11 am

Micheal O. - Thanks for the positive feedback and your years of dedication to the historic military vehicle cause. Regarding your request to assist Rondo with answers I will do my best. To your second question regarding HQ staff. HQ staff continues to respond to members and assist them by any means necessary. The requests that they are unable to handle themselves are typically forwarded the same day out to a committee member who may be better prepared to assist the member or affiliate in resolving the issue.
Rondo - Thank You sir for your participation in your regional affiliate. Y'all are truly the boots on the ground and I agree our National will always benefit from the information and support we can get from the affiliates. Sorry to hear that we may have dropped the ball on your concerns.
I must clarify the newsletter issue. The newsletter by itself and its submission to national HQ is a requirement for all affiliates in order to become and to continue their affiliation with national.
The newsletter award is a totally separate function and is handled by a committee assigned by the President of the MVPA. I do apologize if that committee has been hard to communicate with. Many of the directors sit on multiple committees and have day jobs so I am sure there are things that drop through the cracks.
I wish I could say that we could begin a system of reaching out to our affiliates on a quarterly schedule. I will look into the feasibility of this. I would humbly suggest that all of our members realize that HQ can and will attempt to assist any affiliate and/or member when they call or email. In every publication and on the website the directors have contact info posted. Please exercise that privilege and reach out to the directors.
I hope this helps and please email or call me with concerns. I guarantee I will not be able to solve everything but I certainly will work to make it better.
Kevin Lockwood - Vice President MVPA
42 Ford GPW
41 White M2 halftrack

Michael O.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Michael O. » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:11 am

Kevin, thank you for clarifying the process. I didn’t mean to insinuate that there was an “issue” with the secretary herself...I think that was conveyed in the wrong way for which I apologize.

It’s a positive thing when the MVPA works closely with the affiliates in an effort to increase membership and participation in the organization. New members, including young members, are the future of the organization. I was 19 years old when I joined 25 years ago and it’s a privilege to serve the organization in what little capacity I can. I fully intend, The Good Lord willing, to be around in the organization for another 25 years. It would be great to get some former members back on the rolls as well. Many participants here on these boards have left the MVPA for whatever reason and it would be nice to learn why so the organization (and some of it’s members to include myself) may improve...and in turn, perhaps earn their membership back again. I believe that the MVPA is the premier HMV organization.

Keep ‘Em Rolling!
Michael O’Connell

MVPA 13861

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:27 am

One way to look at the hobby is to "Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what can you do for the hobby?"
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES

Kevin Lockwood
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Kevin Lockwood » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:44 am

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I can certainly say that the MVPA is not all I want it to be. I am sure that "thinking" has effected others when they decide not to join or renew their membership. It is a normal fact of life. I wish the MVPA had 50,000 members, was more effective in all things relating to legislative decisions, liability coverage, outstanding trail rides, contacts with the movie industry, and of course had a Half-Trac on every magazine cover! Maybe even starred me as a where is Waldo cameo. I do however realize that the MVPA cannot be all that I want it to be.
The collection, restoration, and safe operation of historic military vehicles is an important part of each member's national history. Along with the cataloging, analysis, and archiving of data related to the design, production and use of these vehicles, we as a very small community, across the face of this planet have joined in a monumental task. Each of us with our own unique talents and network of connections can, and have, accomplished much. Some times without or in spite of an international organization such as the MVPA. I however would hope that we can acknowledge, as our mentors pass on, it is very important that the accomplishments of these pioneer MV historians have an organization that can be, not just an archive for their combined knowledge, but also an empowering group that can open doors and enable our members to learn even more.
WOW
Perhaps Ben Dover said it better without so many verbs and stuff.
JOIN THE MVPA
Thanks to all of you that let me serve this great group!
Kevin
42 Ford GPW
41 White M2 halftrack

Jeeps4Brains
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Jeeps4Brains » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:33 am

I run the local SC MHCC chapter and publish our newsletter. Whenever we have needed questions answered from the MVPA they have been really helpful. We are busy on a local level running our chapter and had not thought about getting a lot of downward communication. It’s just not been what I expected. I guess I feel like the MVPA is more of a grass roots organization instead of a top down type. But yes any downward communication would be great and would be included in our local newsletter.

Our organization has started a local museum that has attracted several new members to our local MHCC. The challenge has been to get them interested in the MVPA. Many of them like the museum but don’t have vehicles.

Rondo I am guessing you are a member of the MVCSC in Columbia SC. That group has a nice centralized shop and club area. There are regular meetings and work nights.

MHCC is spread out over a large area so we have a hard time getting our members together. Three years ago, we had an encampment for only our members and many came and had a good time. Last year we offered the same thing again and got very little interest, so it was canceled.

Then there is the Triple Tree event where we are only invited to show up and display. We make it an encampment but don’t get to do many activities as the aerodrome doesn’t want us driving around much due to safety of the planes flying in and out. The MVCSC was invited to the event one year and the response was great. We thought what you guys did was super. The event organizers decided the MV component had gotten too large and asked to have it scaled down. Since then we have had less participation each year and we comment that we wish the Columbia group was not gone.

I ran a survey in Jan to the MHCC members.

I asked how much time do you have to spend a month with the organization?
Top answer at 35% was 1 day or less.
Second at 32% was 2-3 days.

So there is not a lot of free time available to take on events or socialize without a larger effort.

I asked do you socialize with other members outside of events? (This could be chat on the phone, get a meal together, work on vehicles together… etc.)
54% said no they don’t socialize.

I asked if social events were held closer to where you are during your normal daily travels would you attend.

95% said that yes, they would attend.

So, this tells me that everyone has little time to attend events unless they are convenient for them to do so.

So, our organization has a challenge to get and keep our members engaged. I know they are working on their vehicles as I hear whispers and see photos from time to time. Some are helping out at the museum.

I would also like to know what other MVPA affiliates are doing and share that with my members. We have on the G503 the area - Military Vehicle Club Boards – but that is not always updated.

The Columbia SC chapter is only about 1 hour down the road so what’s keeping me from visiting them. The issue is having enough time and organizing. (I have visited their group, but it’s been 3 years ago.)

Sorry for rambling.
45' MB, ??' MBT, 47' CJ2A, 48' CJ2A,
51' M38 #1, 51' M38 #2, 51' M100,
52' M37, ??' M101A1 (1st Gulf War Vet),
53' M38A1, 53' M211, 65' M151A1, 67' M416,
MVPA #31724

rondo
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by rondo » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:20 am

hi Jeeps,
great post and not rambling at all.
I would love to see your museum!
having been the newsletter guy for the Utah group, the Idaho group (several offices) and now lowly newby member (a private E1) haha in the S Carolina MVCSC, it's been amazing to see what they all shared in common and what their differences are. I haven't been able to participate with MVCSC because I work so much primarily. but this group is amazing, have a great compound, and seem to socialize weekly. they also have the advantage of doing a lot more thru the year due to good weather.
in Idaho it's been a challenge to get folks to join the MVPA. each year we report percentage of our members. at one time the list was over 100 members, in different states, and even one in England! But it was a fraction of those in the MVPA. I put the MVPA application in each newsletter. our by laws say that to be an officer you have to be a MVPA member. So the leaders support it.
the few occasions I called the MVPA they were extremely nice, professional and helpful. but they never reached down to us ever. i'd like to hear from their leadership maybe. send out a paragraph each month, an email, from the top. they have to care as much or more than we do.
Would like to have guidance on the newsletter competition.
-maybe they should send out a survey like you did-clever!
And if they don't that is ok, this is just a thought you know!
42 GPW; 41WC6
"moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men"

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:01 am

There's strength in numbers. Membership pays off. Some of the MVPA Chapters are very helpful. I joined a chapter 500 miles from me, Sharing MV knowledge and friendship knows no distance. Been a member over 45 years.

Jeep enthusiasts and restorers existed long before the MVPA, I was restoring surplus jeeps starting in the 50's.
The arrival of the MVPA (MVCC) made the hobby blossom to a world wide reality.

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:27 pm

Born in 1941, right?
"restoring surplus jeeps in the 1950's"?

Really polishing up the old resume a bit there I think...
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:51 pm

Chuck, welcome to the real world and while you are at it, join the MVPA, it's been a while.

Thunderbird712
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Thunderbird712 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:00 am

Proud member here! Though is this the same organization that the judges know nothing about factory Jeeps and let mistakes get by?
TJ Zackman
1945 Willys MB, 430923, 3/28/45
Scored 98.375% at 2019 MVPA Convention York, PA

1953 M38A1, 69248, 12/53, 20999713
MVPA# 37298

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”