Battery life.

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: Battery life.

Post by Mark Jesic » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:42 am

Good point Lew, and thanks for the response. :D

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:57 am

Well after firing the jeep up, with a sluggish battery, i have succumbed, and got out the new battery and poured the acid into it, 1/4 inch above the cells. Its now charging up nicely. On the downside ,i left the kitchen door open, and my better half is not impressed with the smell (the battery acid, not me). :roll:

YLG80
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by YLG80 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:21 am

Don't smoke near the battery while it's charging!
Your wife would think that you are making too much noise when the hydrogen generated would explode. :mrgreen:
Yves
Ford GPW 1943 - Louisville - DoD 12-7-43
serial 164794

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:42 am

Battery life also depends on using Distilled Water when doing PM, hard water is not so easy on the battery.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:37 am

Point taken Yves, im still alive. Also good advice Joel. I wait till the good lady defrosts the fridge, and take the ice and water. Over here our water can be heavily chlorinated in certain areas, which is BAD for any battery.

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:10 am

Distilled water should be available in any decent grocery store, (we have it by the gallon) if not pharmaceutical suppliers (drug store here)would have it.
Rain water would be an alternative unless your down wind from a volcano or industrial complex :D
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:19 am

Wingett, no volcanoes in England ,thankfully, although we were slightly affected by the one in Iceland a few years ago.

raymond
G-General
G-General

Post by raymond » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:49 pm

De-ionized water will work just as well as distilled water.

Raymond
"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:20 am

New battery is now fully charged, although it did take 36 hours trickle charge to get it that way. Maybe by charger isnt what it used to be, at 30 odd years old maybe its time for a new one. Can you still get 6v chargers in the U.K. ?

raymond
G-General
G-General

Post by raymond » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:28 am

Using a slow (trickle) charger is the best way to charge a battery, especially one that is very low. It is about the only way to safely bring back a severely discharged battery and still get some useful life out of it.

Raymond
"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:01 am

Well, the jeep has stood for three weeks, after some minor surgery on it, i fired it up with the new battery on today. Fired up first time, and she had a good 8 mile run. She ran beautifully, and got some admiring glances and thumbs up from other motorists. Got her home, and checked the battery and it was bubbling nicely. A really good morning, and the good lady came and enjoyed it, AND it didnt rain. :D :D :D :D

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:21 pm

The Caterpiller Battery in my MB started to fail today.Normally I get 7 years out of the Caterpillar Battery My NOKO Genius 3500 Smart Charger added 3 Years, 3 Months to this battery. I have had 4 or 5 Cat Batteries in my MB. Used to use Exide. Going on 10 Years on the US 2 HN's in my M-38A1, up from 5 years. Smart Chargers do work.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:44 pm

Joe Gopan wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:21 pm
My NOKO Genius 3500 Smart Charger added 3 Years, 3 Months to this battery.
So the real question is the cost of the smart charger offsetting the cost of the device plus electricity for 820 days (19,680 hours) of electricity paid into it?
Not assuming the 7 years (61,320 hours) it was hooked up in addition to the above 3 years.....

81,000 hours of juice went in to gain 3 years life?

I agree it will extend the life, but at what cost VS buying a new one at 7 years.
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

raymond
G-General
G-General

Post by raymond » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:57 am

Not really germane to the subject of the economics of using a battery maintainer, but I installed an onboard 2 bank battery charger/maintainer/conditioner in my boat. This is the one I currently use. (I used to use a portable one and alternate which battery it was hooked to every couple of days)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CB ... UTF8&psc=1

It is a 18.5 foot Four Winns with a 150 horse 4 stroke Yamaha. I boat on the Mississippi River. That is no place to get ready to start your boat and hear "click" from a dead battery, especially if there is noone around to jump or tow you, and especially if a barge is baring down on you. That is why I have 2 batteries, a battery switch, and the above referenced charger. I run on battery 1 on Saturdays, and battery 2 on Sundays. Here is the switch I use.

https://www.amazon.com/Perko-8501DP-Mar ... -1-catcorr

Which brings me to my point; I would suspect a lot of people use a battery charger/maintainer/conditioner in their military vehicle because it sits unused a great deal of time, and they don't want to hear that "click" when they want to go for a ride.

Raymond

wreckless
Gee Addict

Post by wreckless » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:38 am

That is correct, Raymond. A vehicle is no use to you if it can't run.
Rob
Jersey Wrecking Crew
1943 Ford GPW G503

“In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a Congress.“ John Adams

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”