jeep pet hates

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
42swing
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Re: jeep pet hates

Post by 42swing » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:18 am

Its not really a Jeep peeve per se, really more of an old car peeve - the guy that pulls up beside you to take the picture and proceeds to slowly drift into your lane.
Malvern, PA
1942 MB 180635
1943 Willys MBT
1940 Elgin male bicycle
1940 Columbia female bicycle
1943 M3A4 Hand Cart
1943 Harley Davidson WLA with side car

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:08 pm

Chuck W. wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:42 am
I get a lot of waves when I am poking down the road at 35 mph, but they only use one finger :lol:
:lol: :lol:
Sean

GPW 108175 viewtopic.php?t=267732
DOD 4/14/43 Louisville, KY USA20371070

MVPA
AOPA

YLG80
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by YLG80 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:17 am

And how about f-marks ? :D :D
Ford GPW 1943 - Louisville - DoD 12-7-43
serial 164794

Lee Bishop
G503 War Correspondent
G503 War Correspondent

Post by Lee Bishop » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:00 pm

42swing wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:18 am
Its not really a Jeep peeve per se, really more of an old car peeve - the guy that pulls up beside you to take the picture and proceeds to slowly drift into your lane.
Hasn't happened to me, but I almost watched a old Fairlane get pushed off a bridge by someone doing exactly that. The other driver realized at the last possible second. I bet the photo was classic, with the old car's driver screaming at them!
Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former US Army Captain and REMF :mrgreen:

DWesol
SGT/USMC
SGT/USMC

Post by DWesol » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:25 am

I like the hand wave? The thumbs up? :D
My daily driver is a 2006 Wrangler. I get a wave or a nod from other Jeep drivers all of the time. In the GPW, I get the wave too.

My pet peeve is the people who feel they must share with you their whole life history. To include complicated medical procedures, at a car or MV show. I would much rather talk about the vehicles. :?
1942 GPW 55791 DOD 8-12-42 USA # 20144366 (Original)
1943 Bantam T 3 21392 DOD 6-21-43 USA # 0270225 (Original)
Midwest Military Vehicle Association - www.MMVA.us
MVPA 28115
www.MVPA.org/Oshkosh

Lee Bishop
G503 War Correspondent
G503 War Correspondent

Post by Lee Bishop » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:24 am

dwesol wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:25 am
My pet peeve is the people who feel they must share with you their whole life history. To include complicated medical procedures, at a car or MV show. I would much rather talk about the vehicles. :?
Oh yes, I'd forgotten about that. At a car show or display, you're a captive audience to those who wanna talk about the unrelated things that I guess their family and former friends told them they were tired of hearing. Really, who cares about a random person's gall bladder surgery ten years ago?
I've had to tell folks that I'm there to discuss vehicles or WW2, in incidents like this in the past.
Same deal for folks for whom every discussion must be about politics (or sometimes religion). I've had to tell them that unless it's about FDRs 1940s politics, I'm not there for that. I live the old adage of never discussing religion or politics in public.
Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former US Army Captain and REMF :mrgreen:

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:21 am

Used to hook up with a friend of mine from Michigan at air shows. Jack had a Siers Barracuda he built, 200 MPH retract. Really nice airplane. We would be sitting next to it, watching the crowd pass by when some character would get up close, maybe looking into the cowling or even be down on the ground underneath, looking up into the wheel well, pointing something out to his buddy. That is when Jack would look at me and say, " I gotta go. You stick around if you want . " We both knew the next move was this guy was going to come crawling out and start asking dumb questions.
Same, Same for jeeps. These guys are everywhere !!
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

GI.
Sergeant Major [E-9]

Post by GI. » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:12 am

Sure a lot of jeep hates here, I kinda like everything about mine, I like being in parades, car shows, military shows, I like being ask question's about it, esp. from kid's, no matter how stupid they sound, I like people to blow their horn and give me a thumbs up [I think :shock: ], I like putting on my 50 cal, my coke bottle opener, and my musette bag's, the tow rope wrapped around the bumper, my ammo. box's, my Thompson, my trench gun, map's etc.
If I didn't enjoy all these things, I'd just buy a two tone yellow four door six cly. Chevrolet to show off in :wink:

Wonder how long a thread called jeep pet likes would go ? :lol:
67 M-151A1

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:52 am

I wouldn't ever be without a MB, M-38A1 or CJ-2A thru 60's CJ-5, they are my trademark.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:46 am

Yeh, GI. Sitting next to your vehicle, Jeep or airplane, and talking to folks is a lot of fun. Part of enjoying the fruit of your labor. But there are always some people who are looking for a problem when they walk up. After while, it is like a 6th sense. You can pick them out.
Some days you are in the mood for them, and some days not. On the "not" days, best to just vacate your AO.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

54WYLLYSJEEP
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by 54WYLLYSJEEP » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:41 pm

Wolfman wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:46 am
Yeh, GI. Sitting next to your vehicle, Jeep or airplane, and talking to folks is a lot of fun. Part of enjoying the fruit of your labor. But there are always some people who are looking for a problem when they walk up. After while, it is like a 6th sense. You can pick them out.
Some days you are in the mood for them, and some days not. On the "not" days, best to just vacate your AO.
I've talked to plenty of people while sitting at a traffic light. Many people ask about it and what i have done to it. This of course is in my 54 3B . I'm sure I'll get a lot more looks when I get my GPW done.

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:13 am

Took my GPW for a 2 mile drive to the beer store on Friday night and had one person talk to me in the parking lot, a state trooper stop what he was doing (likely giving someone a ticket on the side of the road) in order to strain his neck to give me a thumbs up and big smile on the way home, and had a women pull up beside me at a traffic light down from my house to tell me how cool my jeep was and how impressed she was with it. Was the most positive attention I've received in it within such a short distance - even made me so happy I forgot that it was running like crap after just starting it (was a cold evening and was the first run in well over a month - things fortunately smoothed out after she warmed up :) )
Sean

GPW 108175 viewtopic.php?t=267732
DOD 4/14/43 Louisville, KY USA20371070

MVPA
AOPA

Donovan
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Donovan » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:07 am

I try to take my GPA for a drive every weekend. What I enjoy is the strange look I get (like what the ?) as I get close to someone walking and the inevitable smile and occasional thumbs up as I pass by. On occasion I will take it to a car show to show people that such a vehicle existed and answer the innumerable questions about the vehicle. For me, it is educating the public about what our fathers and mothers were able to accomplish is such a short amount of time.
There is also the satisfaction that I was able to restore this vehicle back to its original state after 9 years (I won’t do that again!) and that I probably have one of the most unique vehicles in the greater LA area. As one person said as I was stopped at a stop light, “you see Lamborghinis, Maseratis, Jauguars, McClarens, but you don’t see this every day!”
The only pet peeve is when I hear someone talk about the vehicle to someone else and provide the wrong information. While, I wouldn’t call myself an expert on the vehicle, I am no novice!
Each time I drive the vehicle I am astounded by what engineers were able to do back in WWII and the ingenuity in developing the vehicle and making things work as they did.
FWIW,
Donovan
GPA 11374

jkillelea
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by jkillelea » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:28 pm

Some of the worst I get is: "What do you want for it?"
Duh. Moron. It's not for sale, but for you... I'll take 50k
I absolutely love talking about it when people want to know about it and who made it. I get people asking (the same) questions about Willys making it (It's a GPW).
Oh... Ford made it??? Is it a Willys then?
No... Ford
Oh....
What kind of engine does it have?
A Ford
Oh....
I thought Willys made jeeps?
Yes, and so did Ford
Oh.....

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:09 am

I have had one person come up to me at a show and asked " Er is that an army jeep " ? DUUHHH ! There are a few of them about, and i seem to attract them.

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”