TOWING, TRAILERING YOUR G503 TRUCK

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

TOWING, TRAILERING YOUR G503 TRUCK

Post by Joe Gopan » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:25 am

Have you noticed those Korean War era photos of reinforced windshield frames on WWII Jeeps? have you ever noticed how your windshield flexes back and forth in synch with the flapping top at the location of the arms at speeds over 40mph?
Good reason to remove the top if you plan to tow bar or open trailer haul your jeep at highway speed. These windshields are 70+ years old, metal fatigue and stress corrosion can take a toll resulting in a broken windshield frame.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Marty, SoCal
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: TOWING, TRAILERING YOUR G503 TRUCK

Post by Marty, SoCal » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:02 am

Good advice when towing any military vehicle or civilian jeep.

Even better is to drop the windshield down and secure it on the hood. Cuts wind resistance for the tow vehicle, too. A tarp securely tied over the tub will keep your gear inside it dry and prevent it from blowing out. Also, might be an idea to limit your towing speed to the rated speed of the vehicle if you are flat towing it without removing the driveshafts.

I've found while driving my GPW at freeway speeds that if you open the glass out about 3-4 " at the bottom, it greatly relieves the stress on the frame and helps with the buffeting. I don't drive it at high speeds with the top up, either. My top is on its last legs, anyways!
43 Ford GPW 92098
53 Dunbar Kapple M100
Sold: 61 CJ-5, 41 T207 WC-1 Dodge closed cab pickup
MVPA #8266
USMC Tanker (1811, 1812), 85-93
ASE Automotive Master tech, former Chrysler-Jeep Level 4 Mastertech, CA state EA smog license

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”