Flying Tigers ?

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
GI.
Sergeant Major [E-9]

Flying Tigers ?

Post by GI. » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:34 am

Thought I would make a few change's to my jeep. at parades and military show's you don't see a lot of WW-2 jeep's from the CBI theater, most are painted up for the Normandy Invasion and other battles in Europe, so I removed the star on the hood, changed the bumper marking's to the 14th AF 23rd/FG which kept the name of the AVG flying Tigers after the AAF took it over.
I guess as large as the war in Europe their were many more pic's of jeep's then their were of pic's of jeep's taken in China [CBI] esp. a small group like the Flying Tigers, Not a lot of pic's I can find. but that was a very interesting part of WW-2.
I also left the infamous bottle opener on the dash as I'm sure the men of the Flying Tigers enjoyed a cold beer after shooting down zero's all day. :wink:
67 M-151A1

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: Flying Tigers ?

Post by Mark Jesic » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:58 am

G.I. its different, but really nice, could you possibly post a close up of the flying tigers badge.?

GI.
Sergeant Major [E-9]

Post by GI. » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:03 pm

Mark,
Not sure which one you are talking about, Here,s a few.
Here's my old flight jacket, it's about as wore out as the jeep, the patches on the front are real, the one on the back is fake.
I guess you could say that I changed the jeep to match the jacket. I'll prob. get tired of the flying tiger scheme in a year or two, and change to something else. :wink:

PS: I'm going to change those two cross point screw's on the bottle open'er for the right one's when I can think of it.
67 M-151A1

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:20 am

Many thanks for that G.I. The one i was really interested in is the one on your dashboard. The A2 flying jacket looks cool though. Dont mention bottle openers though, remember the last debate i started on that subject. :D

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:50 am

G.I. As an afterthought, they have, or did have a flying Tigers Museum in Florida. When i was over there i was going to visit, but was over ruled by the Mrs and kids wanting to go to Disneyworld. Holiday ruined, or what ??? :(

GI.
Sergeant Major [E-9]

Post by GI. » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:48 pm

Mark,
It only took me one day to miss the star and Army marking', :( ..., so this morning I went back with the star and number's only this time i went with the 101AB/506th which a friend of mine was in, he went through Normandy and Germany, he passed away a few years ago, he use to come to our club meetings and was always ready to talk about his old unit, a great since of humor and still looked great in his uniform.
Any way... here's a few pic's to let you see how it came out. and of course the infamous bottle opener will remain place. :wink:
Last edited by GI. on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
67 M-151A1

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:16 am

I see your point G.I. I have just put a star on mine, upside down due to it being a Canadian contract. Remember whatever you put on a jeep it still looks good, as yours does. Sorry but i did not know Carl Beck.

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:04 am

Short lived, but I liked the Flying Tigers look of your jeep! Of course the star on the hood also looks great :wink: It's been almost two years since I painted my GPW and I still haven't been able to decide on the unit markings...It's great knowing someone who's unit can be referenced!
Sean

GPW 108175 viewtopic.php?t=267732
DOD 4/14/43 Louisville, KY USA20371070

MVPA
AOPA

GI.
Sergeant Major [E-9]

Post by GI. » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:16 am

twinflyer17 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:04 am
Short lived, but I liked the Flying Tigers look of your jeep! Of course the star on the hood also looks great :wink: It's been almost two years since I painted my GPW and I still haven't been able to decide on the unit markings...It's great knowing someone who's unit can be referenced!
Thank's,
I liked the Flying Tiger marking's also, but most people now days know little about them or the CBI, every one know's about the Normandy invasion [well, most].
I wore my flight jacket [pic's above] which had a blood chit on the back to a motor cycle show last year and while walking around looking at the new model's some dumb ass said , [ I guess your proud of that flag from China on your back, huh.] in a smart ass tone of voice, from the look's of him if you ask him how many stars are on the American flag, he could not tell you.
Just a lot of people out there who know little about the history of our Military if it goes back more then two years.
Any way... I went back to the Normandy era marking's, both very important part's of our History plus I had a friend at Normandy with the 506th and a father who was in the CBI in China.
I may change and go back to the Flying Tiger marking's, depend's on how long this winter last, it only takes a few hour's. :wink:
67 M-151A1

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:05 pm

I wore my flight jacket [pic's above] which had a blood chit on the back to a motor cycle show last year and while walking around looking at the new model's some dumb ass said , [ I guess your proud of that flag from China on your back, huh.] in a smart ass tone of voice, from the look's of him if you ask him how many stars are on the American flag, he could not tell you.
I can't honestly say I'm surprised you got that type of reaction for your jacket. It's a darn shame. People are so quick to judge without trying to educate themselves first! It's definitely cool that you have a connection to the Normandy invasion, too. It seems that everyone wants to put those markings on their jeep just because they are the most recognizable. Not in your case, though. Either way you have a beautiful jeep, regardless of the markings!
Sean

GPW 108175 viewtopic.php?t=267732
DOD 4/14/43 Louisville, KY USA20371070

MVPA
AOPA

Warren Duchesne
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Warren Duchesne » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:50 am

The flying tigers was a great choice . Here in Monroe, La we have the Chennault Aviation and Military Museum . It's main focus is about General Chennault and the Flying Tigers . We have a great staff and any information or WW2 photos that they have that would be helpful I am sure they would share to help . Thanks

jeepfinger
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by jeepfinger » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:58 am

Hi GI,

I for one liked the look of the jeep in the Flying Tigers markings. I like how you have done it in the memory of your friend Carl, but over here in the Uk,
nearly every jeep that you see is a 101AB/506PR, and they all arn't WW2 jeeps either :o
They used to be a member on the forum, with the username AVG, but I haven't seen him on for a while.
Like other people have said, it's your jeep, mark it up as you want.

Dave
Last edited by jeepfinger on Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Boocock
GPW 41158 June 19 1942
Bantam T3 9555 1/11/1943 USA 0258448
BSA WDM20 Sept 1940 C4343114

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:48 pm

Warren, is the Flying Tigers museum in Florida still in existence ?

Warren Duchesne
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Warren Duchesne » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:15 pm

Not sure , I know it's not affiliated with the one in Monroe.

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:11 am

OK, thanks Warren.

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”