MVPA Judging Standards

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
JAB
G-General
G-General

Re: MVPA Judging Standards

Post by JAB » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:42 am

Thankyou for the update! When things are finalized please post here on this thread as well as the usual places. Sometimes folks don't have time to browse and only read posts they get notifications for, resulting in missed opportunities.

Thanx!
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Thu May 06, 2021 6:12 am

I am sure the great work continues. How are things looking for announcing a publication date?
Thanks in advance
Oz

Feb 43 GPW 98532 USA 20206257
Oct 70 Land Rover Series 2a 25334079G NZ16GF36
http://gpw.castraponere.com/ (My Restoration Page)

Old Pal
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Old Pal » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:21 pm

ddoyle9570 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:38 pm
I can speak to this, to a certain extent.

Assuming that you are referring to the meticulously crafted volume put together by Mike Wright and his friends - that is the GPW Restoration Guide - work on this is progressing nicely.
We have three more licensing agreements/contracts to finalize. This very day I made some progress with one of these, who advised me that the formal agreement should be on my desk mid-March (processes that are always slow are made even slower due to first Covid, plus the current weather conditions). I expect the other two to be finalized well before then, at which time the process will move VERY quickly.
To a large extent, publishing a book is much like restoring a vehicle - there is a great deal of very meticulous work that must be done, work that the person observing the finished product will likely never notice and will be completely unaware of - and all of this takes a great deal of time, but once all the component are finished, final assembly moves rapidly.
While I've never restored a GPW (although I have restored other HMVs), I have had over 150 books published - and be assured this project is moving at a typical pace for such a broad, complex book with so many contributors.

Best wishes,
David Doyle
MVPA Publications Director
I gotta ask. How are things progressing?

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:33 am

Old Pal wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:21 pm
ddoyle9570 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:38 pm
I can speak to this, to a certain extent.

Assuming that you are referring to the meticulously crafted volume put together by Mike Wright and his friends - that is the GPW Restoration Guide - work on this is progressing nicely.
We have three more licensing agreements/contracts to finalize. This very day I made some progress with one of these, who advised me that the formal agreement should be on my desk mid-March (processes that are always slow are made even slower due to first Covid, plus the current weather conditions). I expect the other two to be finalized well before then, at which time the process will move VERY quickly.
To a large extent, publishing a book is much like restoring a vehicle - there is a great deal of very meticulous work that must be done, work that the person observing the finished product will likely never notice and will be completely unaware of - and all of this takes a great deal of time, but once all the component are finished, final assembly moves rapidly.
While I've never restored a GPW (although I have restored other HMVs), I have had over 150 books published - and be assured this project is moving at a typical pace for such a broad, complex book with so many contributors.

Best wishes,
David Doyle
MVPA Publications Director
I gotta ask. How are things progressing?
Any updates? Thanx!!!!!!!!
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

OldGPW
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by OldGPW » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:55 pm

Not to be the one to rock the boat when it's still on the beach :lol: but any update on this happening? Seems like something happened that made nothing happen yet? I've been out of the loop here since June until the other day when I logged back in, and was hoping to hear some updates.
Old GPW.

Mike Wright
US Army Major (Ret)
US Army Major (Ret)

Post by Mike Wright » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:32 pm

Hi folks!
Please be patient! IT's very frustrating for me and the "Brain Trust" as well!!! The MVPA is equally frustrated! As Michael O'Connell said we are "tweaking" it as we can until the MVPA says they can publish it. So far over 300 pages and close to 600 photos. Ozzie has been working on the body to frame chart and the Cowl "holes' which you can follow here on the "G". They will be in the Standards.
I wish I knew a timeline but I don't now :evil:
Thanks
Mike
Mike Wright
SEEKING MOTOR # GPW 2636
MVPA# 4341
GPW 2636, DOD 28 FEB 42, Reg# 2055811 (est)
GPW 104331 DOD 31 MAR 43, Reg# 20369321 (est)
MB-101008 DOD 27 NOV 41, Reg# W-2032462 (Original)
MB 438075, DOD 1 MAY 45, Reg# 20704591 (Original)
Converto ABN Dump 0886168
M2-HB gun trailer

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”