Lincoln square wave 200 TIG welder

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
Lew Ladwig
G-Major General
G-Major General

Lincoln square wave 200 TIG welder

Post by Lew Ladwig » Tue May 23, 2017 6:21 pm

Anyone have experience with the Lincoln square wave 200 TIG welder? This seems to look like a decent machine for the money.
I would be using it for welding some aluminum tubing, for welding DOM steel tubing for roll cages, and misc. I have a stick welder for heavy stuff and a mig welder for quick work.
Any input would be helpful,
Thanks,
Lew
Lew Ladwig
CMHG, 9th ID, Commander
BSA Crew 42 Advisor, 9th ID reenactors
CFFC, IFFC president
2-'47 cj2a's
1-'45 gpw in full resto mode

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Lincoln square wave 200 TIG welder

Post by Wolfman » Sun May 28, 2017 4:57 am

Don't claim to be the ultimate expert but I think that is an advertising thing.
As I recall, the square wave was suppose to be a more stabile arc. ???? Maybe.
Tig, in my opinion, is an electric version of gas welding. The arc supplies the heat to the base metal and a filler rod does the welding, which gives a much more stress free weld as opposed to the arc at the tip of the rod doing the heating and welding with stick and mig welders, which is much more prone to stress cracking under heavy loads.
Square wave is the type " Sine Wave " of the current flowing through the welding electrode.
Normally, the sign wave voltage increases over a certain time period to a peak voltage and then gradually returns to zero, then does the same thing in the opposite phase.
The square wave spikes to peak. Holds there for the length of the wave. Then drops to zero abruptly and then does the same thing in the opposite phase.
Need an oscilloscope to see this.
May have some benefit to weld stability if you are building a space ship but for normal applications, a regular tig will be just fine.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

Lew Ladwig
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Lew Ladwig » Sun May 28, 2017 5:09 pm

Thanks for the input. I have oxy/act, a big Lincoln tombstone stick welder, and a Hobart mig. I was looking to weld aluminum and stainless and do some top end DOM tubing welds for a roll cage. I know I can use my mig for a bunch of that but I was hoping to kick the fine quality up a notch.
Lew Ladwig
CMHG, 9th ID, Commander
CFFC, IFFC president
2-'47 cj2a's

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Mon May 29, 2017 5:00 am

Same here. I have a stick welder. An Oxy/acetylene set up and a mig. The mig uses gas for a shield, not flux core. Tried flux core at first and quickly went to gas. The flux core splattered really bad and made an ugly weld.
Supposedly, you can weld aluminum with a mig. I never tried it.
Did try to gas weld aluminum. Once ! :lol: Should have had a form for the blob that fell out to land in so the molten puddle could have at least been cast into something else.
I have been into experimental aircraft building for a long time. 4130 steel tube airframes are welded and old school was Oxy/acetylene. Now days most are welded with a Tig. Mig and stick welding on an airframe is a No-No. Leave stress fractures in the welds on the high carbon, thin walled steel tubing. Not good at 10,000 ft. and 160 MPH.
Tig welding is an art and requires a lot of attention to what you are doing. Getting a grip on the use of the heat control pedal takes some practice.
Gas welding is the same. Correct tip and flame. Controlling the puddle.
Guess I am rambling. You weld and know this.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

Old Pal
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Old Pal » Mon May 29, 2017 8:53 am

I have welded with several different brands of machines. I'm convinced to either go with Lincoln or Miller, especially with TIG. They tend to be more precise and consistent. I ended up going with a Miller Dynasty and love it but I don't think you'll go wrong with a Lincoln.

Lew Ladwig
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Lew Ladwig » Mon May 29, 2017 4:25 pm

Thanks guys. I see the Lincoln 200 is a new deal and has some features that are higher end. I am pretty good at oxy-act welding so I am hoping I can pick up on the TIG quickly.
Lew Ladwig
CMHG, 9th ID, Commander
CFFC, IFFC president
2-'47 cj2a's

jameshony7654
G-Civilian

Post by jameshony7654 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:06 am

Yeah! Lincoln square wave 200 is best ever TIG Welder. I am using it from past 4 years and facing no issue.

jameshony7654
G-Civilian

Post by jameshony7654 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:03 pm

By the way, there are some other updated TIG welder also available in market now with some wonderful features.

parker007
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by parker007 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:29 pm

I have a 205 lincoln square wave portable unit. it welds great but 200 is limited on aluminum to about 1/4 inch. aluminum requires lots juice. square wave makes much easier welds on aluminum. just remember dirty aluminum is like welding cast iron.

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”