MY FIRST JEEP RIDE

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: MY FIRST JEEP RIDE

Post by 70th Division » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:52 pm

Hello,

I remember my very first Jeep ride in a WW2 Jeep.
I was with my father and our family at an apple orchard in New Hampshire, I was 5 or 6 years old at the time. Mid 1970's.
They had 2 jeeps, an MB/GPW and a CJ2A, with farm wagons behind them that they used to shuttle people into the orchard for Autumn apple picking.
People loaded up on the wagons, and in the Jeeps.
They would drop people off in the beautiful orchard, with loaded apple trees, then pick people up later with their bushels of apples we picked.

It was a fascinating adventure for me, and when we flagged the MB/GPW down, my father and I rode in the jeep, back to the entrance of the orchard. I remember my father talking to the driver about his jeep experiences in France, and how he loved the army jeep.
We actually rode both ways in it.
It was painted brown in color, was well used, and dented up,
but I was in love and still am to this day :D :D :D
I see it as if it was just yesterday and I am still riding along in it !!
I wonder what happened to it, maybe I will see if it still around. I would restore that jeep more than any other one if I can find it :D :D :D
I got my first Jeep in 1980's, and have great memories of taking my father and a full jeep of his WW2 70th Division Veteran buddies riding around our place here in Florida, every time they visited, which was very often :D :D :D
My first Jeep is an August 1945 MB, and I still have it !!

Keep 'em Rolling for another 50 years, as a starter !!!!!

Preserve our history, because if we don't, nobody will !!!!

Best Regards,
Ray

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:08 am

50th anniversary was a few months ago. My wife and I had our Covid shots a couple days ago. Two or three weeks to go til the Jeeps get driven, the MB is now into its 50th year since I restored it. It still runs and feels like new (Good old Army PM is the secret), I feel like the "Frito Bandito" when I use the drive thru at the bank with my mask on. A few years ago I drove thru with the .50 BMG mounted and the teller was not impressed' . The .50 MG and M-31C have been temporarily retired, no need to rattle any cages as I am already eccentric enough.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Frank USMC
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Frank USMC » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:03 pm

Not a first ride, but the first time I sat in a jeep, was around 1966 at Fort Jackson, SC during armed forces day. They had a M38A1C sat up under a GP tent. I remember setting in the drivers seat of the jeep, but do not remember messing with the mounted 106 in the back, maybe I was to small?
I have a M38A1C in my collection now, I would have never dreamed I would have owned one when I was seven.
One of the few, Frank USMC

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”