Zeph's '42 Ford GPW

G503 General Discussion and Chat Board where users can discuss any topic about their jeeps. Jeep Use both On and Off Road, Handy & Safety Tips. Topics that don't belong on the Technical Boards, such as personal restoration progress etc. It functions as a Clubhouse.
OldGPW
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Zepher's new(to me) '42 Ford GPW

Post by OldGPW » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:15 am

zepher11 wrote:Rodney,

I'm not sure what a motorpool rebuild is,
Basically when people restore their GPW/MB's they will say they intend on doing a "motorpool" or "factory" class restoration. Which are two categories that a vehicle is judged by at shows.

There are posts which have more specifics but it pretty much breaks down like this:

Motorpool class. everything is either MB or GPW parts from 1942-1945 and doesn't have to be numbers matching, but no postwar or incorrect parts.

Factory class, every thing is correct to the way it was delivered from the factory, no markings or hood stars except the blue drab registration numbers. All GPW parts on a GPW and all MB parts on an MB.
Old GPW.

zepher11
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:48 am

tractor12 wrote:Trust me your tub is not that bad. I am fixing my MZ tub up that is in far worse shape. You need to get a plasma cutter, a mig welder, and a grinder with sanding pads and you can patch anything that is flat. John at Midwest sell new floors and hat channels and those can be welded in real easily if you don't have a brake to make the parts. I have a friend not on here that found a second frame and welded sections of 2 to make 1 and it came out great so frames can be saved if sections are really bad taht they need replaced. Have fun and see you at Tower. Everything is possible with time and practice. Mark
Thanks, Mark.

That's funny, Eastwood just had a sale on their plasma cutter for $599. I couldn't resist and ordered one last Friday. I have a mig and my wife gave me a Harbor Freight bead blaster cabinet yesterday. What a gal... I hooked it up and I was surprised how well it works. This will come in handy for small items. I also have an industrial sand blaster that I haven't used in over 12 years. Hopefully, it still works. I know I will be replacing the entire floor at a minimum, so I'm gearing up for that job! See you at Tower.
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

Tom Wolboldt
G-General
G-General

Post by Tom Wolboldt » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:05 am

Motorpool class. everything is either MB or GPW parts from 1942-1945 and doesn't have to be numbers matching, but no postwar or incorrect parts.
This definition only holds true if the era an owner is portraying the vehicle in is WW2. A Motorpool Class restoration can be done to any era that a like vehicle has been found in over these many years.

To myself there can be at least two motorpool restorations. Big "M" Motorpool class restoration for judging / displaying. Or little "m" motorpool / civilian restoration for anything goes that the owner is happy with to make the vehicle operational.

zepher11
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:39 am

OldGPW wrote:
zepher11 wrote:Rodney,

I'm not sure what a motorpool rebuild is,
Basically when people restore their GPW/MB's they will say they intend on doing a "motorpool" or "factory" class restoration. Which are two categories that a vehicle is judged by at shows.

There are posts which have more specifics but it pretty much breaks down like this:

Factory class, every thing is correct to the way it was delivered from the factory, no markings or hood stars except the blue drab registration numbers. All GPW parts on a GPW and all MB parts on an MB.
Thank OldGPW,

That makes sense to me. I don't know if I can make it into one of the above classes, but I would supect if I did it would be the MP class. I just hafta have a hood star! :lol: Thank you for the information!
Zeph

OldGPW
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by OldGPW » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:00 am

Tom Wolboldt wrote:
This definition only holds true if the era an owner is portraying the vehicle in is WW2. A Motorpool Class restoration can be done to any era that a like vehicle has been found in over these many years.

To myself there can be at least two motorpool restorations. Big "M" Motorpool class restoration for judging / displaying. Or little "m" motorpool / civilian restoration for anything goes that the owner is happy with to make the vehicle operational.

I agree 100% Tom, just posted the basics though.
Old GPW.

zepher11
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:29 pm

OldGPW wrote:I agree 100% Tom, just posted the basics though.
It's all great information for me. Thank you...
Zeph

OldGPW
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by OldGPW » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:32 pm

zepher11 wrote:
OldGPW wrote:I agree 100% Tom, just posted the basics though.
It's all great information for me. Thank you...

You're welcome Zeph 8)
Old GPW.

zepher11
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:23 pm

Hello,

Finally had a day where I could drive my GPW to kinda get the feel of it before I start a restoration. Wow, the engine runs well! The guy I bought it from said he had reset the speedo when the engine was rebuilt and it is now on 694 miles... It did seem to get a little warm and leak a little radiator fluid near the cap on top of the tank. The tempeture ran just under 200 and was rising slowly as I returned home. I probably drove it about 15 minutes. of course it's about 105 degrees right now.

I think I will not rebuild the engine since it runs so well. That will be nice... :D However, I can't say as well for the transmission. It shifts okay, but it grinds as I shift into both second and third. It does not pop out of gear which is good. The brakes do not work at all...which was a little tricky, and the GPW is really squirlley going down the road. I think the steering is a little sloppy and the tires aren't the best.

Anyway, I was hoping someone could help answer a couple of questions that I had:

1. Is there a thermostat on the GPW engine? When I pop the radiator cap it doesn't appear the water is flowing...unless it is really slow...I was thinking it may be stuck?

2. What is the typical operating water tempeture should one expect on a GPW. is it common for them to run hotter when it is like about 105 degrees? For summer this is pretty cool. A lot of times it is over 110 degrees.

3. I'm thinking about running some Mobile One 10/30 synthetic oil in the engine before I remove it. I don't know a lot about these engines, is that a fairly good idea? Or not a good idea? Any comments appreciated.

Overall, it was really fun to drive! Now I am pumped-up for beginning the restoration. I have been going through some of the rebuild threads on here for inspiration, and I hope to go to the event in Lodi in a couple of weeks to get a lot of pictures and ask questions before I start.

Regards,
Zeph

thidisbogus
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by thidisbogus » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Hi Zeph,

I had a similar experience with the steering and transmission. It turned out the Lord was watching out for me on my drives before I began the restoration. What I mean by that is when StirStik took apart the steering box, the box itself was worn so bad that it wouldn't have taken much at all for the pitman arm to have completely jumped off the gear and I could have been seriously injured or killed. He has since rebuilt the steering box. The pitman arm was also very worn like an egg as well as the Bellcrank. You will want to look at both of these too. I also had to rebuild the drag link that connects them.

The transmission was grinding like yours and not jumping out. Fortunately StirStik said the interior was in great shape. I forgot what he said it was that was physically doing the grinding, but it was something the PO had done wrong on the inside and had it backwards or something whatever it was.

I was blessed too that the engine ran really good. It was until I turned it off and it has not been started for about a year now. It also was supposed to be a recent rebuild. I would not put Mobile 1 in that engine. I have done some reading on that on this board and there are particular type motor oils you are supposed to use in those engines. I think one with zinc content is what you need to look for.

The GPW/MB does have a thermostat. I think it is like 160 or something like that. I am certain one of the more experienced guys will follow up with the exact degrees, but I think it is around 160 or 168 or something like that.

Something else you will want to follow up on is make sure you have either an open PCV system or a closed one, not a hybrid like I had. Bubba didn't know what he was doing and had it half open and half closed. It needs to be one or the other or you will have problems. Mine was spraying oil everywhere.

zepher11
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:22 am

Thanks for the response, Rodney. Thanks for the insight on the steering as well. When I jumped out of the GPW and had the hood open, I turned the steering wheel back and forth and the whole steering box bowed as though it was about to come apart. That's a bit concerning. It's extremely sloppy down there. Hopefully, I will start my restoration shortly, so I don't think I'll be driving it around any longer.

On the oil. Hmmm...synthenic not good? I will have to do a little more research on this topic. I don't know a lot about this engine. All I know is that I am an oil changing maniac. The oil in the engine is black which makes my skin crawl. All of my vehicles have oil that looks like it just came out of the oil can. I just like to have it clean in there. Seems to work for me. My main daily driver has 205,000 miles on it and still runs awesome. It may be oil change overkill, but it gives me a false sense of security... :lol:

After I read your thread I found a diagram of the thermostat for the GPW. It did say that if one heads to the parts store to get one, they will most likely provide a 180 degree thermostat. The article said to get the 160 degree one if one lives in a warm climate...which would be the one for me here. I will have to examing the PVC system. I haven't even thought about that yet.

I think the transmission will need some work. I hope that is something that I can work on, but I have never performed surgery on a transmission and may need to contact an expert. I would imagine there are a couple out there.

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it!
Zeph

thidisbogus
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by thidisbogus » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:25 pm

Zeph,

If you wind up needing to outsource the transmission, I cannot recommend StirStik enough. He is amazingly thorough and you will not find anyone better.

thidisbogus
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: Zeph's '42 Ford GPW - (Restoration Started)

Post by thidisbogus » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:41 pm

Zeph,

Take a look at this thread for grease and oil recommendations:

http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=183224" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check out this thread for converting your oil bath air cleaner to a traditional element:

http://www.1945mb.com/c-80-G503_WWII_Je ... ilter.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best spark plugs for your GPW:

http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=171963" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Locally available oil filter element along with the zinc content I was writing about:

http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=173049" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zepher11
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:18 pm

RESTORATION BEGINS!:: Like many before me, I am going to attempt to document the restoration of my 1942 GPW. I thought I would keep it in this section of the G and use the knowledge base section for specific questions that I will have...likely very often! This will take me a long time to complete (probably years), but I am committed and ready to go! Even with the understanding that I know very little about these vehicles.

Well, I thought I would pick this historic day (9-11-11) to officially start my restoration. I finally found myself with a little time on my hands, so I thought I would try to remove the 3/8" plate that Bubba welded over the r and the d of the ford script. This was for a trailer hitch. I think I posted pictures of this atrocity previously.

Here is a look at where the plate covers the letters in the script:

Here is a picture after removing the bolts for the piece of angle iron with the trailer ball on it:

I removed the Jerry can bracket and spare tire to get better access. Looks like the tire carrier is authentic:

Here is a picture of the Jerry can plate Bubba added. It doesn't look too bad actually. I don't know what the conventional wisdom is regarding the addition of a Jerry can holder, but I'm leaning toward keeping it:

I used my die grinder and after an hour and a half, and three abrasive wheel replacements, this is what I had:

A better look of the now exposed r and d. One only knows how long they had been covered:

Although I was happy to get it removed, there was some sad news:

There appears to be a little section of frame missing... :( :

Looks like some work will be required on both the tub and frame after they part their separate ways. The back panel is pretty rugged and I'm not too sure I can fix it, but I think I will give it a try. Stay tuned... :)
Last edited by zepher11 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeph

zepher11
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:24 pm

thidisbogus wrote:Zeph,

If you wind up needing to outsource the transmission, I cannot recommend StirStik enough. He is amazingly thorough and you will not find anyone better.
Is StirStik a member here? Where is he located? I think I saw that Ron F. possibly handles this type of work as well. I hope to go down to the Lodi MV meet in a week of so and meet him. Grants Pass, OR is only about a two hour drive north for me, so if I need some transmission work, that may come in handy...very handy...
Zeph

zepher11
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:27 pm

thidisbogus wrote:Zeph, Take a look at this thread for grease and oil recommendations:
Excellent! I want to get on changing the oil a few times before I remove the engine. These will come in handy...
Zeph

Return to “G503 General Discussion Board”