Like many before me, I am going to attempt to document the restoration of my 1942 GPW. I thought I would keep it in this section of the G and use the knowledge base section for specific questions that I will have...likely very often! This will take me a long time to complete (probably years), but I am committed and ready to go! Even with the understanding that I know very little about these vehicles.
Well, I thought I would pick this historic day (9-11-11) to officially start my restoration. I finally found myself with a little time on my hands, so I thought I would try to remove the 3/8" plate that Bubba welded over the r and the d of the ford script. This was for a trailer hitch. I think I posted pictures of this atrocity previously.
Here is a look at where the plate covers the letters in the script:
Here is a picture after removing the bolts for the piece of angle iron with the trailer ball on it:
I removed the Jerry can bracket and spare tire to get better access. Looks like the tire carrier is authentic:
Here is a picture of the Jerry can plate Bubba added. It doesn't look too bad actually. I don't know what the conventional wisdom is regarding the addition of a Jerry can holder, but I'm leaning toward keeping it:
I used my die grinder and after an hour and a half, and three abrasive wheel replacements, this is what I had:
A better look of the now exposed r and d. One only knows how long they had been covered:
Although I was happy to get it removed, there was some sad news:
There appears to be a little section of frame missing...
Looks like some work will be required on both the tub and frame after they part their separate ways. The back panel is pretty rugged and I'm not too sure I can fix it, but I think I will give it a try. Stay tuned...