Zeph's '42 Ford GPW

G503 General Discussion and Chat Board where users can discuss any topic about their jeeps. Jeep Use both On and Off Road, Handy & Safety Tips. Topics that don't belong on the Technical Boards, such as personal restoration progress etc. It functions as a Clubhouse.
zepher11
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: Zeph's '42 Ford GPW

Post by zepher11 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:45 pm

JAB wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:49 am
You did what I'm trying to do, white over the blue registration numbers. Yes, the stencil bled too. My hood circle and vesicant were brush painted so I tried to copy that look. I got Kindergarten art project hood instead! Too embarrassed to even take a picture!
Oh man, I think we have all been there. I can recall a few instances where I didn't post a photo of a disaster. I did pick up one of these rollers for the paint mask stencils to if it would help with the bleed through. It's already come in handy for a few little projects:
CC 1267.JPG
Roller....
CC 1267.JPG (51.6 KiB) Viewed 618 times
Also, put the top on for the first time. Fits and looks pretty nice:

Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

JAB
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by JAB » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:45 am

I’ve got one of those. I’ll give it a try. Yesterday I sanded what needed to be “corrected” but left most of the brush marks, taped off the star and circle with pinstripe tape and sprayed several light coats of the same paint that I tried to brush on. The results were much better. The brush strokes still show through giving the effect I was looking for. Today I hope to do the white registration numbers and tomorrow the vesiccant color.
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

JAB
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by JAB » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:41 am

The roller worked so well on the side stars that the star stencil ripped the corner as I tried to remove it for use on the other side.

Zeph, aren't your bumperettes up-side-down?

"WET PAINT"
Attempting to mimic what remained under about 1/8" and three layers of green, black, and orange paint.
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

zepher11
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:55 am

JAB wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:41 am
The roller worked so well on the side stars that the star stencil ripped the corner as I tried to remove it for use on the other side.

Zeph, aren't your bumperettes up-side-down?

"WET PAINT"
Attempting to mimic what remained under about 1/8" and three layers of green, black, and orange paint.
Looks pretty good.

Yes, the bumperettes are upside down. It came that way as that was the way it was marked and outfitted on the PO's father's Jeep during WWII. He has a photo with the bumperettes upside down. I made a metal note to flip them right side up before I stenciled, and then totally zoned it until after I was completed! Oh well, eventually I'll order another set for the bumperettes. I had to make the B-3 stencil with a X-acto knife which wasn't too hard, but too much work on the driver's side stencil for me.
Zeph

JAB
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by JAB » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:44 pm

Yup, I made some of my stencils too, to try to mimic what was there, flaws and all. Did a quick test drive after the hood was fairly dry only to have the master cylinder fail. Luckily I only hit some bushes in the back yard. I installed it 20 years ago so we'll see what actually failed. Meanwhile my Wednesday night deadline looms!
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

zepher11
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:57 pm

JAB wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:44 pm
Yup, I made some of my stencils too, to try to mimic what was there, flaws and all. Did a quick test drive after the hood was fairly dry only to have the master cylinder fail. Luckily I only hit some bushes in the back yard. I installed it 20 years ago so we'll see what actually failed. Meanwhile my Wednesday night deadline looms!
Darn! Sorry to hear about the master cylinder failure. Wishing you the best to get everything completed!
Zeph

The Fireman
U.S.M.C. Veteran
U.S.M.C. Veteran

Post by The Fireman » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:24 pm

Zeph,

The rear bumperettes were reversed to help protect the rear spring shackles and it also makes it easier to step on the bumperette that has one continuous surface to contact your shoe, boot or whatever. I will send you some photos of jeeps with the bumperettes "reversed" when I find them again.

Frank
The Fireman
NRG

zepher11
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:22 pm

The Fireman wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:24 pm
Zeph,

The rear bumperettes were reversed to help protect the rear spring shackles and it also makes it easier to step on the bumperette that has one continuous surface to contact your shoe, boot or whatever. I will send you some photos of jeeps with the bumperettes "reversed" when I find them again.

Frank
Hi Frank. Yes, I had a relative in the 91st Bomb Group during the war and he told me they were flipped upside down to make it easier to stand on. Here's a 91st photo I have had for some time:
91st BG 01.jpg
91st Bomb Group
91st BG 01.jpg (81.49 KiB) Viewed 546 times
I was shooting for my cousin's husband's Jeep in WWII. His bumperettes were upright as delivered. I meant to flip them like this, but totally zoned it:
Bill 03.JPG
Bill in Germany 1945 1
Bill 03.JPG (48.78 KiB) Viewed 546 times
Bill 02.JPG
Bill in Germany 1945 2
Bill 02.JPG (75.45 KiB) Viewed 546 times
Zeph

JAB
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by JAB » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:46 pm

Success! Repaired the master cylinder and made it to the event. Approximately 400 3rd and 4th grade students from the very special Golda Meir School in Milwaukee enjoyed a Service Day field trip at the War Memorial Museum on Milwaukee's lakefront where some of our local members displayed their vehicles. The children were well prepared, well mannered, and very enthusiastic about the vehicles. We really enjoyed interacting with them and I think we made a great impression. It's kind of what the hobby is all about, building and displaying our vehicles for others to appreciate.
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

zepher11
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by zepher11 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:57 pm

JAB wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:46 pm
Success! Repaired the master cylinder and made it to the event. Approximately 400 3rd and 4th grade students from the very special Golda Meir School in Milwaukee enjoyed a Service Day field trip at the War Memorial Museum on Milwaukee's lakefront where some of our local members displayed their vehicles. The children were well prepared, well mannered, and very enthusiastic about the vehicles. We really enjoyed interacting with them and I think we made a great impression. It's kind of what the hobby is all about, building and displaying our vehicles for others to appreciate.
Good to hear you got 'er done for the event. You're right, it's good to get the MV's out for others to learn about them. Good job!
Zeph

Return to “G503 General Discussion Board”