Zeph's '42 Ford GPW

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
thidisbogus
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: Zeph's '42 Ford GPW - (Restoration Started)

Post by thidisbogus » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:43 pm

StirStik is a member here. That is his handle. His name is Howard Nash. He lives about ten minutes from me. If Ron does the transmissions and he is that close to you then that probably is your better source, especially if you don't have to pay for shipping. However, if you have to wind up paying shipping, then Howard would be the way to go.

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:46 pm

While I have been getting organized in preparation of completely dismantling my GPW, I collected some engine stands to make a tub rotisserie. I was inspired by G member "918jeeper" and his excellent restoration thread. That's a must read to get one pumped up for a Jeep restoration project... :)

I liked his idea of HF 1,000 lb. stands. I checked them out and they where $69.99. I think they're on sale right now for $59.99. However, being the tight wad that I am, I lifted a picture of the HF stand and placed an item wanted ad on Craigslist for that specific stand. I didn't want anyone calling with the wrong stand...hence the picture. I ran the ad asking if anyone had purchased one for a project and now just had it sitting around. I said I would pay $20 to $30. Low and behold, It took less than a week to score four stands. I actually received two calls on my way to pick up the forth and last stand. Gotta love that Craigslist!

Well, I picked up the four engine stands for a total of $75 bucks. I snagged a practically brand new one from one guy that asked what I was rebuilding. When I told him I was cutting them up for a rotisserie, he said: "you weld?" I said yes and I ended up welding a couple brackets on his boat trailer in trade for his engine stand on the way home from work one night... 8) How cool is that! Basically cost me nothing for that one. Plus the guy was very appreciative that I helped him out.

Anyway, I saved one for the engine and used the other three to cut up for the rotisserie. Once I get the tub off I will measure for the center connector. I can't thank 918jeeper enough for scoring this idea and sharing with the G! Thanks! Here is the almost finished product:

With the limited space in my garage, this rotisserie will come in real handy for moving the tub around and out of the way while I work on the chassis.

Thanks for looking,
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

918jeeper
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by 918jeeper » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:45 pm

Nice work on the rotisserie! I'm honored that I have inspired you for your restoration. I never thought in a million years that I would inspire anybody.

I don't know if you test fitted the tub on it yet but just a heads up. What ever end you put the front of the tub on you most likely will need to cut and angle it out enough to allow full rotation of the tub without contacting the support stand. Also I kept a small sledge hammer handy when rotating so I could hammer the rotating part in to align the holes for the locking pin. It's not a perfect setup and it sounds "Bubba" but it worked for me and it was cheap. Plus I was able to sell it on craigslist after I was done with it.

Good job and keep up the good work! 8)
1945 Willys MB

My Restoration Thread
viewtopic.php?f=96&t=132906" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:41 pm

918jeeper wrote:Nice work on the rotisserie! I'm honored that I have inspired you for your restoration. I never thought in a million years that I would inspire anybody.

I don't know if you test fitted the tub on it yet but just a heads up. What ever end you put the front of the tub on you most likely will need to cut and angle it out enough to allow full rotation of the tub without contacting the support stand.
I think your restoration thread has inspired more than a few!

Thanks for the heads up on the rotisserie. I figured I may have to make some modifications, but I tried to angle the top in a little...but not as much as I initially thougth. I may use a spacer if needed. Hopefully, I will find out next weekend as I finally took the plunge and removed my tub today! :)

Thanks again,
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:28 pm

Whew, what a day! I finally have the motivation to get going on my '42 GPW restoration. I am going to dedicate this GPW to my shirt tail relative Kelly who was a B-17 pilot in the 91st Bomb Group, 322 Squadron. He was shot down over France and evaded with the aid of the French Underground. He is 89 years old, so I really need to get cracking. He recently had to put his wife into assisted living and was going through some paper work and found a picture of himself standing next to a Jeep at Bassingborn, England (home of the 91st BG) and gave me a copy.

That was when I decided to make this a tribute project and make my GPW up in the markings of the 91st BG. I would really like to get it done by the time our local Veterans day parade rolls around this next year. It's a tall order, but at least I have that motivation now to get off my butt and get on it! :) He really wanted me to enter my GPW in this year's Veterans parade, but I told him that my GPW was really not up to it. I did locate him a ride, however. He would think he was on top of the world if I am able to surprise him with a ride next year!

I posted the picture of Kelly and the GPW in the "Vintage Picture" section if anyone is interested.

With the above in mind, I finally spent a couple of hours and removed my tub today. I know it is probably old hat for most here on the G, but it was a nice accomplishment for me having never worked on a Jeep before. Very few bolts actually were removed without cutting, chiseling or basically snapping them off! I just kept plugging along, however. Here are some pictures from today:

My trusty assistant was totally bummed when I said I was going to take apart our perfectly operating Jeep :cry: :

Initial phases of the dismantling:

A couple hours in and we have lift off:

A little higher:

Just about there:

Touch down onto some saw horses:

Overall, it was a fun project and not too difficult for a beginner. I was a little apprehesive, but now I am pumped up for the next little project. Next up will be getting the tub attached to the rotisserie, so I can push it around easily. Not a great deal of room in my garage.

The floor panels look pretty rugged, so I'll take some before pictures of what are left of those the next time I can get some quality garage time.

Thanks for looking!
Zeph

918jeeper
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by 918jeeper » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:06 pm

Congratulations on completing your first step! I'm looking forward to following this thread. It's nice to sit back and watch for a change. :)
1945 Willys MB

My Restoration Thread
viewtopic.php?f=96&t=132906" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thidisbogus
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by thidisbogus » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:30 pm

Great work Zeph! Thanks for taking the time to take the pictures.

Cobra Doc
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Cobra Doc » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:11 pm

918jeeper wrote:Nice work on the rotisserie! I'm honored that I have inspired you for your restoration. I never thought in a million years that I would inspire anybody.

8)
Why do you think I keep moving your thread back up? When I get my G503 I will be using your thread as inspiration.

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:46 am

Cobra Doc wrote:

8)
Why do you think I keep moving your thread back up? When I get my G503 I will be using your thread as inspiration.
Exactly! Thanks, Cobra Doc...
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:51 am

918jeeper wrote:Congratulations on completing your first step! I'm looking forward to following this thread. It's nice to sit back and watch for a change. :)
I know that it must feel great to have your MB project behind you. As I read through your restoration thread, I always liked how the work just appeared to be magically completed for my reading pleasure. It's easy for one to forget how much hard work is completed behind (or between) the scenes, so to speak... :o

Thanks for the compliement.
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:53 am

thidisbogus wrote:Great work Zeph! Thanks for taking the time to take the pictures.
Thanks, Rodney. I hope to keep up with the picture taking. Only thing slowing me down now is my real job. :)

Regards,
Zeph

hell-fire
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by hell-fire » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:17 am

zephyr11 wrote,- Only thing slowing me down now is my real job.
You are spot on, mine was a bare chassis just before Easter & hopefully I should be driving it by Xmas.
John
Australia
Member VMVC #192
1942 Willys MB-BRT 135673 D.O.D. 4-16-42 Now 97% finished

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:49 pm

hell-fire wrote:
zephyr11 wrote,- Only thing slowing me down now is my real job.
You are spot on, mine was a bare chassis just before Easter & hopefully I should be driving it by Xmas.
Hi hell-fire, do you have a thread with pictures of your project?
Zeph

hell-fire
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by hell-fire » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:56 pm

zephyr11 wrote do you have a thread with pictures of your project?

Sure do it is on my clubs forum, come & say G'day.

http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=172207" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John
Australia
Member VMVC #192
1942 Willys MB-BRT 135673 D.O.D. 4-16-42 Now 97% finished

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:14 pm

I finished up the rotisserie today and was able to get the tub mounted. Thanks, 918jeeper, for the heads up on the front tub clearance issue. That saved me some time and frustration for sure. Man, the rotisserie is really handy. It rolls around with ease and it will be nice to be able to move the tub out of my way while I work on the chassis.

Here's the final product:

I was also able to to degrease the chassis and engine...etc, today. Can anyone confirm for me that the transmission and transfer case looks correct for my '42 GPW? Is there a casting number that I can locate that will help with identification? Everything appears to be stock from what I can determine. However, this is the first time I have ever laid eyes on one:

I thought I would take some pictures of the hat channels. Then I realized there aren't any... :lol: Here are some photos of what is left of the floor panels:

There is no doubt that new floor panels are in order! The floor panels should be a fun project... :? Tomorrow I am planning on removing the engine/trans and stripping the rest of the chassis. I want to get the frame ready for sand blasting as soon as I can. I called a local sand blasting place and they said $350 to $400 to sand blast the frame? Does that seem high? It seems kinda high to me... Anyone have a frame sand blasted recently that can provide a recent cost? For that kinda dough, I might just do it myself... :cry:

Thanks for looking!
Zeph

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”