Zeph's '42 Ford GPW

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
KellyHeros
G-Private
G-Private

Re: Zeph's '42 Ford GPW

Post by KellyHeros » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:54 am

Hi Zeph

Lovely to meet you and happy to be the proud new owner of Iris. Gordon has done a great job looking after her.

Looking at my original post, it appears the picture I uploaded into the file is in fact visible (picture of my tea cup and Iris).
I'm still reading this complete thread to gain a full understanding of your restoration and indeed, trying to find away to extract the history into a paper file / binder.

I can confirm Iris will be taking part in a Band of Brothers tour in Sept and later during the same month will be on display at Goodwood Revival

https://www.goodwood.com/motorsport/goo ... D2EALw_wcB

James

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:30 am

KellyHeros wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:54 am
Hi Zeph

Lovely to meet you and happy to be the proud new owner of Iris. Gordon has done a great job looking after her.

Looking at my original post, it appears the picture I uploaded into the file is in fact visible (picture of my tea cup and Iris).
I'm still reading this complete thread to gain a full understanding of your restoration and indeed, trying to find away to extract the history into a paper file / binder.

I can confirm Iris will be taking part in a Band of Brothers tour in Sept and later during the same month will be on display at Goodwood Revival

https://www.goodwood.com/motorsport/goo ... D2EALw_wcB

James
Hi James,

That sounds great. My wife and I participated in the Band of Brother tour in 2019. We started at Toccoa, Georgia and followed their path all the way to England and then to the continent. Finished the tour in Austria. Trip of a lifetime and happy we were able to participate. Next we want to participate in the Battle of Britain tour when COVID is rained in over there.

Gordon mentioned that you are the new caretaker of Iris, and it sounds like you and your family are a perfect fit!

And don't feel compelled to keep the markings or Iris's name on the windscreen on my behalf. I have a couple other WWII vehicles that I have marked in honor of Kelley (91st BG) and Iris's husband Bill who was in the 101st AB, 502nd PIR. But I think if you do, please keep us updated on this thread ad I'm sure a lot of folks, including me, would appreciate keeping this thread alive.

Enjoy!
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

KellyHeros
G-Private
G-Private

Post by KellyHeros » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:24 am

Hi Zeph

I will be sure to keep the thread open and keep you all updated.
I equally served and spent some time at Fort Brag with the SF and members of the 82nd Airborne. I was tempted to go for the UK airborne look, but like you, really want to keep Iris as close to her original build / use as possible. The fact you found the original number seems only appropriate that it remains.
I find myself now looking through WWII photo's in the off chance i'll spot the bonnet (hood) number :D

This weekend i need to tinker with the handbrake, so looking forward to a bit of spannering

James

thunderbird
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by thunderbird » Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:32 pm

Hello Zeph my compliments 👏🏻 for your very original restoration 🎖️💪🏻

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:43 pm

thunderbird wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:32 pm
Hello Zeph my compliments 👏🏻 for your very original restoration 🎖️💪🏻
Just saw this. Thank you very much. I appreciate it!
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:24 pm

Sad news to report out this week. My cousin Iris passed away on November 28th. She was 97 and a half. I had breakfast with her and another women I know whose husband was a Pearl Harbor Survivor that morning. She was good all the way till the end and didn't suffer which was nice. I was stunned when the assisted living facility called to let me know she was having trouble. I've made all her arrangements, and I've scheduled her services for this coming Wednesday.

She was the inspiration for my GPW restoration documented here. She was a gem and will be missed:

Zeph

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:39 pm

I'm sorry to hear this Zeph. They're all going, too fast. I wasn't fortunate enough to have completed my GPW prior to the passing of the person that inspired me, so at least you have that memory and good feeling to associate with your jeep. May she rest in peace and her memory live on with her name painted on your jeep.
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:41 pm

JAB wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:39 pm
I'm sorry to hear this Zeph. They're all going, too fast. I wasn't fortunate enough to have completed my GPW prior to the passing of the person that inspired me, so at least you have that memory and good feeling to associate with your jeep. May she rest in peace and her memory live on with her name painted on your jeep.
Thank you Jeff. I appreciate your kind comments.

Z
Zeph

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:11 am

zepher11 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:24 pm
Sad news to report out this week. My cousin Iris passed away on November 28th. She was 97 and a half. I had breakfast with her and another women I know whose husband was a Pearl Harbor Survivor that morning. She was good all the way till the end and didn't suffer which was nice. I was stunned when the assisted living facility called to let me know she was having trouble. I've made all her arrangements, and I've scheduled her services for this coming Wednesday.

She was the inspiration for my GPW restoration documented here. She was a gem and will be missed:

Hello Zeph,

That is sad news to hear, she led a long life, and was part of the Greatest Generation.
I am sure she is having a reunion in Heaven with her family and friends, and all will be well.

God Bless her and all your Family.

Best Regards,
Ray

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:44 am

70th Division wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:11 am
Hello Zeph,

That is sad news to hear, she led a long life, and was part of the Greatest Generation.
I am sure she is having a reunion in Heaven with her family and friends, and all will be well.

Best Regards,
Ray
Thank you Ray. Yes, Iris is reunited with her husband, Bill. He passed away in 1982. Can't believe it's been that long. He was a 101st AB vet and went through the whole deal. Here's a photo of him in Germany after the bulge. My GPW is marked with his unit number in this photo:

Zeph

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:59 am

zepher11 wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:44 am
70th Division wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:11 am
Hello Zeph,

Best Regards,
Ray
Thank you Ray. Yes, Iris is reunited with her husband, Bill. He passed away in 1982. Can't believe it's been that long. He was a 101st AB vet and went through the whole deal. Here's a photo of him in Germany after the bulge. My GPW is marked with his unit number in this photo:

Hello Zeph,

Wow what a great picture of her husband, I am sure they are back together now, 1982 was way too young to pass on, but Iris carried on with life, and will be remembered.
God Bless Iris and Bill, together again.

Best Regards,
Ray

thunderbird
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by thunderbird » Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:45 am

zepher11 wrote:

May God welcome her in his glory 🙏🏻
Condolences Zep

Capricekid
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Capricekid » Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:46 pm

zepher11 wrote:

Zeph

I am very sorry to hear about your cousin Iris. My Grandma came from the same era and I had many great memories with her and loved spending time with her. Very much the Greatest Generation.

Also, that picture of her husband is fantastic. Thanks for sharing. Do you have any others?

Joe

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:41 pm

Capricekid wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:46 pm
Zeph

I am very sorry to hear about your cousin Iris. My Grandma came from the same era and I had many great memories with her and loved spending time with her. Very much the Greatest Generation.

Also, that picture of her husband is fantastic. Thanks for sharing. Do you have any others?

Joe
Thank you Joe and everyone.

I also have this photo of Bill in Germany. He wrote on the back of the photo to Iris:

"April 1945, Dusseldorf, Germany." "This is not so good. Developed it myself and messed it up. The hole in back of me was my home. Pardon the hat, it is silly. The holster is the luger."

I have the holster and the luger Bill had in the photo. The holster is the standard leather US holster:

Zeph

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”