MB42/GPW43 Frankenweenie

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
Klaas
G-Captain
G-Captain

Re: MB42/GPW43 Frankenweenie

Post by Klaas » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:16 pm

ww2DAD wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:24 pm

I like the fact that the drain ports on the tank sump are brass. They look like you can fit a radiator cap on them. Ill try it tomorrow.

Mike
Hi Mike, a rad cap will fit, but the correct caps are plain on top and have two ears. They are available as a repro part and sometimes, if you are lucky, as originals. I got mine some years back and they were still packed in their cardboard containers with the tin ends. The rear one I still have packed, has the following inscription on the tin lid: 2930-703-3345 CAP. FILLER 1EA. A 1/63 01-36-005-GS3-02202, so packed in 1963 and described as a filler cap :o
Unless you go fording, you only need to fit the front one to keep out debris thrown up from the front wheel.

Take care and good luck with the restoration!
Klaas
GPW17331 - April 21 1942 - Dallas, "J-dot"
BSA Airborne Bicycle R49171 - 1944

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:42 am

ww2DAD wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:24 pm
Adam,

I know what you mean about aggressive. What I'm using is very basic and the finish is very fine. I've used it to do gun parts before and was always able to replicate the US WW2 finish. If you look closely at the serial number picture in the previous post, you can basically see how fine it is. Also makes a great surface for primer to grip.

I have to make one correction. My compressor has a 20 gal tank and is showing its age. And I am definitely going down to the Rio Grande for sand. Work to shovel it but doesn't cost anything.

By the way when I lived in Tijeras up near Albuquerque, there was a sand blasting shop that had just opened down the street. I stopped in one day to ask what they would charge to blast a tub. They wanted $1500 plus the cost of the media. I didn't do it and now do it for 3 to 5 dollars a bag. Just takes time.

Here's a picture of the setup. Finished 3/4 of the bottom of the tub. I like the fact that the drain ports on the tank sump are brass. They look like you can fit a radiator cap on them. Ill try it tomorrow.

Mike
Hello,

Looking great Mike !!
I can see that your tinning is still there, that is a plus !!
Hopefully I will get to this level soon, of blasting the tub.
I am using a blast media called "Clean Bite" that is made from crushed glass bottles, the bag says it has no free silica which is the dangerous stuff, found in sand.
It is about the same price as sand, and available at Northern Tool and other vendors.
I also wear a P100 respirator when blasting.
For the frame, and the tub when I get to it, I used a gas power washer with an attachment for sand blasting, and it works great but uses a lot of material :D .
Also as you get an area done with the wet blasting, you want to stop, get it dry, then prime as you go to prevent flash rust.
The one area of our work that I really don't enjoy is blasting, but I like the results when done :D !

Keep up your great works !

Best Regards,
Ray

ww2DAD
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by ww2DAD » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:59 pm

Klaas,
Thanks for the information on the cap. My radiator cap fit but I know that that's not what it was made for. It had to be something different. Glad you had the answer. My drain ports are made of brass and I have included a picture here.

Ray,
Thats interesting that you are using a high pressure washer. Hadn't thought of that. Our Northen Tool is an hour away and I have been blasting with sand for years. I do wear a respirator and a hood that has air for over pressure. I sand blast outside which helps. Neighbor said he hadn't realized I was blasting because he saw no dust clouds. The sand leaves a very fine finish. Here is a shot of todays work. We had a pretty good wind today so it blew most of the sand away from me. Have to get some new sand tomorrow. Wind blowing helps (usually 20 to 30 mph around here). Have one wheel well to finish.

Mike
Attachments
a.jpg
Drain ports
21.jpg
One well left

Klaas
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Klaas » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:47 pm

Hi Mike, as regarding the caps for the fuel tank sump: Ron stocks them: https://www.rfjp.com/p-260-fuel-tank-su ... a6942.aspx
I believe most or all of the drain ports on the sump are brass.
Klaas

ww2DAD
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by ww2DAD » Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:59 pm

Klaas,

Thanks for the information. I hadn't thought to look for them yet but will check. My brass drain ports are also soldered and riveted on which I finally noticed the other day. I learn these things as I go.

Here's the bottom finally sand blast finished. I took about 4 days/3 hours each day to do (I can only do about 3 hours before I'm beat). I'm not in a hurry and with my set up, have to take my time. Took a break for a few days to finish fall cleaning in the yard.

Take care,
Mike
Attachments
c.jpg
Finished sand blasted bottom

Klaas
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Klaas » Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:04 am

Hi Mike,

The sandblasted body looks really good. Being in the western part of the US certainly helps to preserve the sheet metal.
I suppose you do as much as you can and there is a limit to how much your body will handle in a day. Take care and keep up the good work.
Klaas

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:32 pm

ww2DAD wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:59 pm
Klaas,

Thanks for the information. I hadn't thought to look for them yet but will check. My brass drain ports are also soldered and riveted on which I finally noticed the other day. I learn these things as I go.

Here's the bottom finally sand blast finished. I took about 4 days/3 hours each day to do (I can only do about 3 hours before I'm beat). I'm not in a hurry and with my set up, have to take my time. Took a break for a few days to finish fall cleaning in the yard.

Take care,
Mike
Hello,
Looks great Mike !!
Slow and easy, gets it done :D !
I like the desert and those great mountains in the distance, it will be fun driving your jeep out that way some day soon !!

I will now blast my MB frame, while waiting on some parts for the GPW transfer case project.

Best Regards,
Ray

ww2DAD
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by ww2DAD » Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:33 pm

Ray and Klaas,

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. Slow and easy is the ONLY way to do things around here. It's the 3rd week of October and we are still hitting the low 90s during the day.

Working on a new sandblasting hood air system. Should provide plenty of air during blasting. And I have been lazy in getting some new sand although it's not that far away. Maybe tomorrow. Tub has been turned over and just crying for the inside to be blasted.

Klaas your right. It's so dry out here where I live that the thing wouldn't rust for 20 years. I hope I am done before then.

Ray you are also right. Someday I will drive it up to those "hills" in the background.

Take care,
Mike

ww2DAD
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by ww2DAD » Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:43 pm

Had rain the past couple days (rare) so sand blasting on hold. Spent some time re-checkering a gun stock for a Winchester pre 64 Model 70. First time I've tackled this. I thought sand blasting was tedious but re-checkering did me in. Four panels to check took about 5 hours each. I'd rather sand blast. Should be able to pick up again this coming week.
Mike

ww2DAD
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by ww2DAD » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:54 pm

Back to sand blasting after a break. Weather stepped in for a while. Gave me a chance to rebuild my sand blasting hood. Had to make a new face shield because the other was completely fogged from blasting. After making a new plastic shield I got lucky. Our local Office Depot closed it's doors for good. I went in last week and the manager asked if there was anything I needed. I said I was looking for the old style clear plastic vue-graph sheets. He just happened to have 3 boxes left, 100 sheets in each box. Original price was $45 a box but I got them for $7 each. Just cut to size and tape over the face shield. I can get about 4 cuts per sheet. When fogged, just pull off and replace. There's enough there to do the hood and my cabinet. Get lucky every now and then. Will post new pictures soon.
Mike

ww2DAD
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by ww2DAD » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:32 pm

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Sorry for being remiss in not posting for a while but between Thanksgiving and Christmas it's been a rough month. Wife had pneumonia and the weather went up and down. Finally got of my dead duff and did do some sandblasting but not before watching Notre Dame beat Oregon State in the Sun Bowl on Friday. Dad was from South Bend Indiana, so my wife and I went to see the game in his honor. Vets from 1st Armored Division displayed a giant US flag on the field, 1st AD AH-64 Apaches from Ft Bliss provided an overflight, and a young warrant officer sang the National Anthem. Great support form Ft Bliss to the teams. I'm glad I went. Guys all around me were vets and we joked the whole time. At one point I stood up and yelled "Rudy" like in the Sean Astin movie and people began laughing around me and joining in. We keep doing it every now and then just to cheer the Notre Dame team on. Made the late night news. HA HA HA.

There was only one problem sandblasting today. My Air Force flight suit I use to sand blast in was a little tight around the mid-section. Don't know if it was from all the HO HO at Christmas or the extra clothing because it was a little cold. Time will tell.

Here's a picture of the front right inside blasted. I have also included two pictures from the football game. Good luck to everyone and look forward to hearing from you all and adding more pictures in the new year.

Mike
Attachments
45.jpg
Front right inside blasted
46.jpg
At the game for Notre Dame

ww2DAD
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by ww2DAD » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:07 pm

Today was good day for sand blasting. Weather and wind cooperated till about noon. I was able to sand blast the front left inside. The wind really kicked up then which helped me with dust/sand cleanup. I like how as you blast you come across where things were actually attached as you start seeing the impressions from where the item actually was. Couple of smaller areas that require cleanup. If the weather holds tomorrow, I will start on the back right inside.
Mike
Attachments
20240110_124343.jpg
Inside front blasted

ww2DAD
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by ww2DAD » Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:19 pm

Break in the up and down weather coming from the west coast gave me a chance to do some more blasting. Got the rear floorboard area finished. If weather holds out, will go to work on the inside side sides. Only time and weather will tell.
Break did give me a chance to build a better air system for my canvas blasting hood. Works great and didn't cost a fortune. Use about 20 feet of 1 1/4 inch washer drain hose connected to a small (new) shop vac at one end and a 1 1/4 inch plastic T intersection at the other. Glued to the T is a plastic water valve so I can regulate the air flow out of the hose and into a cap with a brass 1/2 inch nipple connected to about 10 feet of vinyl hose. The 1/2 inch hose from the nipple is then connected to the back of my blasting hood which has an air connection. I can regulate how much pressure goes into the hood and provide an overpressure in the hood to keep the dust out. Worked great today and no dust.
Mike
Attachments
Picture1.jpg
Rear floor board area

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:09 am

ww2DAD wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:19 pm
Break in the up and down weather coming from the west coast gave me a chance to do some more blasting. Got the rear floorboard area finished. If weather holds out, will go to work on the inside side sides. Only time and weather will tell.
Break did give me a chance to build a better air system for my canvas blasting hood. Works great and didn't cost a fortune. Use about 20 feet of 1 1/4 inch washer drain hose connected to a small (new) shop vac at one end and a 1 1/4 inch plastic T intersection at the other. Glued to the T is a plastic water valve so I can regulate the air flow out of the hose and into a cap with a brass 1/2 inch nipple connected to about 10 feet of vinyl hose. The 1/2 inch hose from the nipple is then connected to the back of my blasting hood which has an air connection. I can regulate how much pressure goes into the hood and provide an overpressure in the hood to keep the dust out. Worked great today and no dust.
Mike
Hello Mike,

Great to see progress !!
Looking good, and working between storm systems.

Keep us posted,

Ray

ww2DAD
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by ww2DAD » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:39 pm

Ray,
Thanks for the post. Here's a picture of today's efforts. The next couple of days should have good weather too and I will concentrate on finishing the inside. The new air system works great, and I have found a better way to blow sand removing a lot more material faster than before. Will post tomorrows picture(s) when done.
Take care.
Mike
Attachments
tub.jpg
Upper back inside/tool box areas

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”