GPW 268896

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
JAB
G-General
G-General

Re: GPW 268896

Post by JAB » Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:27 pm

Those are the symptoms of an air leak, probably at the fuel filter. It's also possible that you don't have enough gas in the tank to completely submerge the tank tube. When you manually prime the pump you can actually feel when the fuel gets there and again when it hits the needle and seat in the carb.
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

Nightstalker86
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Nightstalker86 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:58 pm

Yep I was also thinking along the same lines. I will put another gallon of fuel in. Somebody else suggested filling the filter up and priming again.
Don H
45 GPW
2012 Boss 302
2021 Mach E
Army Aviation Vet

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:46 am

Nightstalker86 wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:51 pm
Update, just buttoned up the fuel system.
New tank
New lines
New filter
New pump
I put a gallon of gas and primed the hell out of the pump. Cranked over but would not fire. Starts fine with starter fluid.
Checked the input line to the filter and no fuel.
How long does it take to get fuel up to the filter?I must have pumped the primer several hundred times and cranked the engine several dozen times. When I move the primer handle I can here suction and feel pressure.
Hello,

Sounds like an air leak somewhere along the lines as Jeff mentioned.
Check the flex hose connections for tightness near the generator area.

Also check the new or old brass fittings as sometimes they get cracked by over tightening, etc.

Check the seal on the fuel filter as well, and be sure the nut on the bottom up the canister is tightened down tight, as well as the top nut.

Did you have the carb rebuilt ?

Scout Pilot here on the G does outstanding rebuilds, and test them as well before being sent back.

Good luck !!
Keep us posted !

Here is a link to a similar situation , see the last page for the issue being resolved, a cracked brass fitting causing an air leak.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=277366&start=30

Best Regards,
Ray

Nightstalker86
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Nightstalker86 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:00 pm

Update,
Disconnected the inlet tube to the filter and was able to syphon fuel up the tube.
Reconnected line and filled the filter bowl with fuel. No leaks. Disconnected the inlet to the pump and was not able to syphon any fuel through the line.
Tomorrow I will disconnect the line from the filter outlet and plug it and see if I can pull vacuum to see if there is a leak in the flex line connections.
Never had an issue like this so it is a learning experience but also frustrating. I am sure it is something very simple.
Don H
45 GPW
2012 Boss 302
2021 Mach E
Army Aviation Vet

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:28 am

Nightstalker86 wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:00 pm
Update,
Disconnected the inlet tube to the filter and was able to syphon fuel up the tube.
Reconnected line and filled the filter bowl with fuel. No leaks. Disconnected the inlet to the pump and was not able to syphon any fuel through the line.
Tomorrow I will disconnect the line from the filter outlet and plug it and see if I can pull vacuum to see if there is a leak in the flex line connections.
Never had an issue like this so it is a learning experience but also frustrating. I am sure it is something very simple.
Hello Don,

Another thing to check, as I encountered this issue !
Check your brand new fuel pump, and make sure all the little screws are tightened down tight between the 2 halves !
I put a brand new JMP one on my GPW.
It ran great until in wouldn't start.
I found gasoline dripping out of it, at a good flow !
I tightened the screws down, all were loose !!
That fixed the issue.
The screws loosened up over time, but when installed, I didn't even check them as I assumed they would be set in tightly.
I will check these again in the future to be certain they have stayed tight .

Good luck,
Ray

Nightstalker86
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Nightstalker86 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:14 pm

Ray?
Yes I figured it wouldn’t hurt to check those and I was able to turn all slightly but didn’t seem loose enough to cause an issue.
I checked the line from the filter outlet to the pump inlet and it does not leak.
I am now able to get fuel up to the pump inlet.
I can’t syphon any fuel from the pump through the line to the carb.
Does the pump primer handle need to be in any specific position?
I tried up or down and same results.
I loosened the pump bowl and it looks like fuel is in the pump but not full. No fuel spilled out when I took the bowl off.
Back at it tomorrow.
Don H
45 GPW
2012 Boss 302
2021 Mach E
Army Aviation Vet

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:43 pm

It can make a difference, as far as the where the primer handle is, but I don't think it' supposed to.

It's new, huh? As far as you know, the pump never worked? I wonder if the valves were installed wrong or are not working due to being held open from debris in the line. You didn't use teflon tape on the fittings by any chance? It's a no-no, but people do all the time. As you tighten it a "string" can be cut off by the threads and travel down the line causing issues. That stuff should only be used on water and air lines. It might be time to disassemble the fuel pump and have a look inside. When you assemble it you're supposed to tighen the screws while the diaphragm is "stretched". In other words, the lever should be held in the tension position as you tighten the screws. Takes three hands!
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

Nightstalker86
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Nightstalker86 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:56 pm

Jeff,
Nope no Teflon tape.
Brand new pump. I do get suction when I put my finger on the end of the line. I do here air moving just no fuel. I am going to try some permatex thread sealant made for fuel lines.
I also noticed a slow leak on the drain plug for the filter I need to stop.
Don H
45 GPW
2012 Boss 302
2021 Mach E
Army Aviation Vet

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:17 pm

Nightstalker86 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:56 pm
Jeff,
Nope no Teflon tape.
Brand new pump. I do get suction when I put my finger on the end of the line. I do here air moving just no fuel. I am going to try some permatex thread sealant made for fuel lines.
I also noticed a slow leak on the drain plug for the filter I need to stop.
Hello Don,

Keep at it , you are making progress !

Get that leak fixed.
I can't figure how the hand primer isn't pumping gasoline when you hand pump it ?

Try disconnecting the line to the carb from the pump.
Then hand prime it to see if any gasoline is coming out of the pump.

Ray

Nightstalker86
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Nightstalker86 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:15 pm

Success!!!
Got her started but unfortunately I don’t know for sure what the issue was.
Yesterday I added 3 more gallons of gas thinking there was not enough pressure to push the fuel up to the filter.
No difference.
Today I took the new pump off and inspected, when hand pumping I had vacuum at the inlet and air coming out the outlet.
Reinstalled the pump primed the pump and Merry Fricken Christmas fuel made it to the carb.
Now I have a big leak at the inlet to the carb but hey it’s progress.
I can sleep well tonight and my wife can stop telling people I bought an old jeep that doesn’t run😁
Don H
45 GPW
2012 Boss 302
2021 Mach E
Army Aviation Vet

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:11 pm

Nightstalker86 wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:15 pm
Success!!!
Got her started but unfortunately I don’t know for sure what the issue was.
Yesterday I added 3 more gallons of gas thinking there was not enough pressure to push the fuel up to the filter.
No difference.
Today I took the new pump off and inspected, when hand pumping I had vacuum at the inlet and air coming out the outlet.
Reinstalled the pump primed the pump and Merry Fricken Christmas fuel made it to the carb.
Now I have a big leak at the inlet to the carb but hey it’s progress.
I can sleep well tonight and my wife can stop telling people I bought an old jeep that doesn’t run😁
Hello Don,

That is great news !!
Likely an issue with the pump, when you set in in the hole, it has to ride on the cam lobe,
so should be a little job getting it lined up, and the bolts into it !!
I am sure you are excited now to have it running, work on the inlet leak, and you will have the system up and running.

Pretty soon you can take your wife for a ride in your beautiful Jeep !!

Keep us posted ,

Best Regards,
Ray

Nightstalker86
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Nightstalker86 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:13 pm

Hello all,
OK so after trying to strap the new tank down I found out it didn’t quite fit back in the original package.
I installed the anti squeak pads and rock guards so pretty tight fit.
I had to swap the 2 small brackets and put the 2 piece bracket in the front otherwise I would have needed a 3” bolt.
I watched the G503 video and not even close to cinching those brackets together without a gap.
It looked like in the video the 2 small brackets were both 2 piece??
Either way I got it in. Not too pleased with the fit though.
In the picture I have not tightened them down all the way.
Attachments
DD540C6A-093D-49BF-8FC3-AC5C4BEAA297.jpeg
Don H
45 GPW
2012 Boss 302
2021 Mach E
Army Aviation Vet

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:49 pm

I've never been happy with the way mine fit either. I eventually got it in, but yeah, lots of effort to pull it all together with longer bolts, and then trying to swap them out for the right length. I assume the repair welds on the tub cause enough shrinkage and distortion to casue this, but that it goes unoticed until you try to get the tank back in.
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

Nightstalker86
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Nightstalker86 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:25 pm

Hello all,
I was priming my drivers seat frame and found these two #3 stamps. One on the left foot and the other on the top left. Anyone know why a 3?
Wow I just noticed I have been promoted to E-5. That hasn’t happened since 1985!
Attachments
28B977F8-6C0A-4C53-8A7E-7B1E0857340F.jpeg
1CE93B98-4A5F-4F23-92C3-EEB1E4748B6C.jpeg
Don H
45 GPW
2012 Boss 302
2021 Mach E
Army Aviation Vet

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:04 am

Nightstalker86 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:25 pm
Hello all,
I was priming my drivers seat frame and found these two #3 stamps. One on the left foot and the other on the top left. Anyone know why a 3?
Wow I just noticed I have been promoted to E-5. That hasn’t happened since 1985!

Hello Don,

I have never seen that before !!
You may be the first to discover it 😀, and make a post on it !

I will look closer at the GPW seats in the future, but the ones I have restored had a lot of rust on them, so the numbers if there, would have been pitted away from rust.

Nice discovery !!

When you get to your passenger seat, check and see if the screws for the footman loops under it have rounded heads on them, vs. flat.

I discovered that on the GPW they were rounded, and on the MB they are flat.

Best Regards,
Ray

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”