Family heirloom GPW 112165

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
Wizit247
G-Private
G-Private

Family heirloom GPW 112165

Post by Wizit247 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:03 pm

This thread will follow the complete rebuild and restoration of my family's 42 GPW. My mother and her siblings we all born in the 50s and none of them can remember the Jeep coming into their family which has lead me to believe my grandpa most likely came to own it in the early 50s. It lived its life working his farm in southern California before retiring with him to the mountains of Kanab Utah where it spent its time hunting trophy Mule Deer.

When my grandpa passed away my family took the jeep on an entirely new set of adventures that saw just about every jeep trail in the southwest US including Glamis, Rubicon, Ocotillo wells, etc.

In 2001 when I was 11 years old we moved to North Idaho where the Jeep was my personal toy on our property. We eventually sold our property and the jeep was left to sit in our garage for a number of years. With a lack of maintenance and an 11 year old behind the wheel for 4 years the jeep had numerous issues that kept it from being used. My dad and I always talked about restoring it but unfortunately he was in a long term battle with cancer that kept it from becoming a reality. When my dad passed I decided I would begin the restoration regardless of how long it may take. I purchased many of the parts that I already knew it needed. Fast forward 11 years and after my own battle with cancer and now having a shop outfitted for such a restoration I am finally getting back to this old Jeep.

Its seems as though every family story I have heard somehow involves "The Willys" as we have all known it. My mother, her siblings, myself and my siblings all learned how to drive in the jeep and now that I have a son on the way I intend to continue that tradition.

I look forward to utilizing the amazing knowledge this place has to offer and sharing my story of this project.

To start off here is a pic of my dad, Mom, Brother, and Sister somewhere in the desert enjoying the jeep.

Klaas
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Re: Family heirloom GPW 112165

Post by Klaas » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:26 pm

Firstly, welcome to this community. As you will probably already know, there is a goldmine of information and help from fellow G503-ers available here.
Get and study all appropriate manuals and reference books and especially the new MPVA's GPW restoration standards by Mike Wright and other experts.
Also study JeepDraw (http://jeepdraw.com/PART_COLOURS.htm)
Get your parts from Ron Fitzpatrick, the man who makes this wonderful website possible.
Read all restoration threads on this site (and there are many) to get an idea what is involved and see how others before you have tackled their restoration and how to keep inspired.
I wish you all the best of luck and perseverance with your restoration and we all are looking forward to seeing more of your project.
Klaas
GPW17331 - April 21 1942 - Dallas
BSA Airborne Bicycle R49171

Wizit247
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Wizit247 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:32 am

Klaas wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:26 pm
Firstly, welcome to this community. As you will probably already know, there is a goldmine of information and help from fellow G503-ers available here.
Get and study all appropriate manuals and reference books and especially the new MPVA's GPW restoration standards by Mike Wright and other experts.
Also study JeepDraw (http://jeepdraw.com/PART_COLOURS.htm)
Get your parts from Ron Fitzpatrick, the man who makes this wonderful website possible.
Read all restoration threads on this site (and there are many) to get an idea what is involved and see how others before you have tackled their restoration and how to keep inspired.
I wish you all the best of luck and perseverance with your restoration and we all are looking forward to seeing more of your project.
Thank you for the welcome, Klaas. While I haven't really been actively working on the jeep I have been researching and studying on and off in preparation for the last few years. I have been a lurker here at the G for many years and read many of the main restoration threads. Much of my inspiration and encouragement has come from those threads! I currently have "The Military Jeep Complete, Willys Mb/Ford Gpw: All Three Original Tm's in Full" as my main hard copy source but will look into others as you have suggested.

Wizit247
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Wizit247 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:28 pm

This first set of pictures is from years ago when I first brought the jeep home from my moms house in 2013. I ordered a bunch of parts that i knew for sure it was going to need. from there I pulled the body and started to realize to do this right it needed to be a full restoration.

From there due to many circumstances the jeep went untouched(other than being moved into my new shop) until present day. I am fortunate enough to have access to industrial sandblasting at my place of work so I finished stripping the frame and had it blasted.

Wizit247
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Wizit247 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:03 am

I started on the rear end where there was plenty to be de-bubba'd. Lots of welds where they shouldn't be. Booger welded reinforcement plates everywhere trying to keep this poor frame together. I'm actually glad some of the reinforcements were there otherwise these cracks would have been much worse.

Drivers side is pretty good. Just a few small cracks starting that need addressed. The passenger side will need the shackle hanger removed to properly fix the cracks. I have a new rear crossmember and inner and outer pintle braces on the way from RFJP as well as solid rivets that I intend to turn down in the lathe to match the factory Ford head profile. Luckily the pintle brace is in surprisingly good shape.

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”