A B-17 Fortress, Two Jeeps and a Dodge - My Ongoing MV Journey

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Re: A B-17 Fortress, Two Jeeps and a Dodge - My Ongoing MV Journey

Post by armyairforce » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:26 pm

In addition to a number of vehicles at the show, there were several dioramas from various groups and a field kitchen providing food. The main events field was located between the Marley Hill yard and Andrews House station. The military vehicles and the dioramas were located in this field.

The Seatones singing group were based at Andrews House station while swing bands played in the carriage shed and another singer performed at the other end of the line at East Tanfield station.

Steve Carr - Only dead fish swim with the stream
My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:27 pm

At around 2pm, a seven vehicle convoy set off from the show field along the main road, which runs more or less parallel to the railway, down to East Tanfield station. That station is quite a bit lower than Andrews House and being sheltered in a bowl surrounded by trees; was much warmer!

We stayed there long enough for a coffee & cake stop before returning to the Marley Hill show field. It gave the public at both stations the chance to see the vehicles on the move, rather than just parked up for the day.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:29 pm

Sunday's show followed the same format with another convoy mid afternoon. Some of the vehicles present on Saturday were only there for one day, but several different vehicles turned up on Sunday, so the overall vehicle count was about the same.

At times, it was a chilly weekend, thanks to a stiff Northerly wind on Saturday, but thankfully the wind dropped for Sunday and was a little warmer from the West. That was the last 1940s event in our calendar for this year, but we're still likely to be having a few more rides out before the year is over. There's the possibly of a trip out collecting for the Royal British Legion before Remembrance Sunday in November and I'm sure we'll still manage a few more rides out before the year is over too.

More pictures and a short video of the locos here - https://www.sacarr.co.uk/mymvs/events/2022/tanfield.htm
My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:34 am

September 27th - GPW Reassembly and Testing

I think I'm back up to three green vehicles on the road again, following the work done today. The new exhaust gasket arrived over the weekend and was fitted today, then I started reconnecting the fuel system. After getting the pipe work back together, I added five gallons of fresh E5 fuel.

A test prime with the pump showed fuel weeping from the end of the pump union. One of the brass unions on the fuel pump had slight damage through to the threads on the inside. The damage has been there since 2014, but has just started leaking. I ordered two replacements, but soldered the hole so I could carry on testing today.

I gave the engine a test run which appeared ok for a short time, then I started getting fuel pouring out of the carburetor cover plate. I pulled the carb to bits, checking various gaskets and screws for potential leak sources. It went together and came apart a few times, with test runs between and the leak continued.

The fact that it only happened after a little while running suggested the float chamber was filling up and then overflowing out of the metering needle hole in the top. I stripped it all again and adjusted the float, which simply involved bending a tab on the brass float, so it wouldn't fill the float chamber as much.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:37 am

Each time the carb came off and apart, the fuel line had to be disturbed at the carb and pump unions; leading to additional small leaks when reconnected. Probably a good job I'm going to replace them.

Anyway, I think I got there in the end, as after the float adjustment, the engine fired straight away. It idled ok, picked up smoothly from idle both slowly and with a quick rev, without the burbling and hesitation it had previously shown at the Beamish 2021 show. Now I just need to take it out for a test drive. This evening however, the rain was pounding down like carpet bombing.

Engine test run video below. One run while the fender was still removed in case I needed to strip things down again. The second run was after the fender was bolted back in place, the light wiring reconnected and the horn refitted.

https://youtu.be/A_7hAMWsgcA
My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:04 am

September 30th - Ford GPW Test Drive

The last small job this morning, was fitting two new brass fuel pipe unions to the fuel pump and carburetor. Despite very light rain starting, I took the GPW out for a local test drive. "Jessie" had to be brought out of the garage first, to get "Hope" out from the middle of the garage.

The whole drive was only two and a half miles around the village lanes, stopping at a couple of places to check for fuel leaks at the new unions and to take a few pictures.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:04 am

I called in to the local church yard before heading home, as it has a nice view over the fields.

From there, I returned through the village and back home, getting "Hope" and "Jessie" back in the garage before the heavy rain came. I still need a longer test drive while Lynne is around, in case I need recovery, but initial signs are all is well again.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:40 am

Vehicle Wash and Photoshoot - October 1st

With the recent maintenance on both Jeeps requiring one fender to be removed, there was a certain amount of paint chipping happened around the bolt heads. I wanted to touch up those areas with fresh paint. At some point, I also want to carry on the painting of the Dodge, such as under the fenders and rear wheel arches.

Before I did any painting, I wanted the areas cleaned of the dust and dirt that has built up over the season. The Ford also hadn't been out of the garage for over a year and was rather dusty. Jessie needed to be brought out of the garage first, in order to clear the doorway for Hope, parked in the middle.

Both Jeeps were jetwashed, starting with Jessie. With both of them clean, the Dodge was backed out of the garage and turned around. This was the first time all three vehicles had been outdoors together since Faith was repainted into olive drab. It was an opportunity not to miss, so the three vehicles were lined up for some group photographs before the Dodge got wet.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:42 am

Both Jeeps were blown dry by the wind and a bit of warmth in the sun, so were dry for the pictures.

With a selection of photos taken, it was time to wash the Dodge. It was left to dry off a while, then they were all put back in the garage.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:05 pm

October 2nd - M201 Starter Motor Overhaul

For a while now, the Hotchkiss Jeep has had an intermittent starter motor problem. When the starter button is pressed, the starter spins, but the Bendix gear isn't thrown forwards to mesh with the flywheel. It's something that happens every couple of years as a result of use and wear. The starter is at the bottom of the engine bay, so the rear battery, dizzy cap, and coil had to ome out to get access to the mounting bolts. Once out, it was taken to the workshop to strip down.

The end cap and main body were removed first to access the commutator. As I've found before, it was filthy.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:06 pm

The surface was cleaned up with some fine wet and dry paper, wrapped around a small wooden block. The surface has some pitting, but I'm not sure the shaft will fit in my small hobby lathe to true up the surface. So for the time being, I just clean up the surface.

After the wet and dry, the gaps between the contacts cleaned out with meths and a cotton bud. The Bendix gear was removed next and washed down to remove grease and dirt building up in various locations.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:07 pm

When the Jeep was upgraded in 1966 to the NATO 24 volt standard, the Hotchkiss starter motor also had a starter solenoid fitted. This takes the starter current rather than the switch and also mechanically throws the Bendix gear out and pulls it back via a spring. That was all cleaned too. I had hoped to replace one of the copper threaded contacts on the solenoid, as the end of the threads were slightly stripped. Despite my best efforts, it wouldn't move, so I left it alone for fear of shearing it and making the solenoid useless.

Putting the starter back together in the past was a challenge.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:09 pm

The brushes need to be held out of the way of the commutator to put the end cap on. However, the wires aren't long enough to leave a gap big enough to get fingers or any tools in to hold the brushes.

I solved this many years ago by drilling two tiny holes in the end cap and inserting two small metal pins to hold the brush springs back. Once the end cap is in place, the pins can be withdrawn, allowing the brushes to spring towards the commutator.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:10 pm

The starter motor was bolted back in place and all the other engine components refitted. One last small job was to repair the cylinder head temperature wire. At some point before I got the Jeep, the insulation had fractured and it had been taped up. The insulation was quite hard and the wire was starting to break at the point where the insulation failed and also at the spade terminal joint. I cut the wire and soldered some new silicone wire in place, using some heat shrink tube to form a strain relief across the soldered joints.

I gave the Jeep several test starts and the starter motor behaved for each one ( see the video below ). On the last start of the session, I left the engine running for a while to heat up to check the cylinder head temperature gauge was receiving a signal from the sensor.

Video link - https://youtu.be/_5qi0bo2qZY
My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:43 am

Ford GPW Test Drive and Two Jeep Fuel Stop - October 16th

I took the Ford GPW out for another test drive today, following the work on the carb and tank drain. Jessie came along for moral support! We took them both to fill the tanks for the winter. It had been sunny all day, but clouded over shortly after getting both Jeeps out of the garage.

The trip almost didn't happen, as I'm recovering from Covid. This was my first ever bout of covid, was more mild than many winter colds I've had, but it has left me very tired. It took until mid afternoon to raise the energy to go out. As a result, the original longer planned drive was cut short to a fuel stop and return via our usual photo-stop lane.

My Websites

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”