A B-17 Fortress, Two Jeeps and a Dodge - My Ongoing MV Journey

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
armyairforce
G-Major
G-Major

Re: A B-17 Fortress, Two Jeeps and a Dodge - My Ongoing MV Journey

Post by armyairforce » Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:20 am

We moved around a few more times across Saturday to different locations. Here we are back at the colliery.

Passing traffic at Coffee & Cake Corner.

At the end of the day, the museum was providing a meal in town for all those attending. We were going to take the vehicles until the rain set in for the evening and everything was covered up.

Sunday September 4th

The last group of four pictures from coffee corner were a selection of just a handful of pictures from Sunday. We did the convoy and morning coffee, then went back to the main show field for lunch and then to started packing up camp.

Five days on site under canvas was exhausting, both due to the fresh air, lack of sleep and the heavy steering on the Dodge giving me arms like Popeye! With the Jeep and the Dodge, Lynne and I managed to burn through around 19 gallons of petrol in four days of driving. However, it was still a cheap holiday and the highlight of our 1940s calendar.

Further pictures can be found on the following links.....

https://www.sacarr.co.uk/mymvs/events/2022/beamish2.htm

https://www.sacarr.co.uk/mymvs/events/2022/beamish3.htm
Steve Carr - Only dead fish swim with the stream
My Websites

sjalbert
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by sjalbert » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:40 am

Amazing Steve,

I love that you get your vehicles out and about and that it's a family activity.
Seth
1944 MB 349858, 20620361
1942 MBT 10968 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=149552
1942 MBT 15799, USA 0217497 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=225199
MVPA # 8587
Com / Inst. SMEL
CFII - ASEL
KI5LYB

Collecting Willys Engine Info. Please send me Engine #, Casting Date & Machining Date if known

armyairforce
G-Major
G-Major

Post by armyairforce » Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:29 am

sjalbert wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:40 am
.....I love that ......it's a family activity.
Back in the days of my flying R/C aircraft, the wives and girlfriends of the other team members all came along to work as ground crew. The rest of the show was a great social occasion. Lynne came out to the military events from the start, as again, there were other wives who came along too. Once I bought the Dodge, I got her driving the Jeep and she really loved it. I think I mentioned several posts ago, my daughter, who is almost 13, is now tall enough to drive the Jeep and had her first proper go in August after the Breighton Aerodrome event. She's been brought along to events since she was a baby and also has several friends around her age who also attend the 1940s scene. Everyone wins!
My Websites

armyairforce
G-Major
G-Major

Post by armyairforce » Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:05 am

Fishburn Airfield "Wings & Wheels" - September 17th

We took the Jeep to Fishburn yesterday, but didn't think we were going to get there. I got the Jeep started up and then warmed up outside the garage. When I tried to pull away, the engine sounded a bit lumpy and as we drove out of the village, it was intermittently mis-firing, particularly when accelerating. We only got a mile from home and I decided to turn around and go home.

By the time I got half way home, it was sounding better, so I pulled into the manor turning and alternated between idle and revving the engine. It seemed to be picking up ok again, so I turned around and set off for Fishburn again. For the rest of the trip there, it ran fine! Odd!! I'm wondering if the plugs oiled up with all the slow, low gear driving at Beamish.

A friend from the next village had arrived not long before me with his WC52.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Major
G-Major

Post by armyairforce » Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:06 am

The event was a mixture of classic cars, some military vehicles and dioramas, plus some displays from other periods of history too. There were several stalls of various things, plus live music and some kids entertainment.

There's a small aircraft museum at Fishburn, with this Meteor being the most recent arrival, moved from Tangmere.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Major
G-Major

Post by armyairforce » Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:08 am

Being on the top of a hill ( and an airfield ), it was of course cold and blowy. I'd seen the forecast before going and put the full door kit on the Jeep to stay warmer. In addition to the doors and checkered roof, I also fitted the light box, "Follow Me" sign and flag.

De Havilland Vampire.

I hadn't had the light box and sign on for a while, as the Jeep won't fit through the garage door with it fitted. Looking back at older event pictures, I surprised myself to find that it is actually three years since I've had the full flying control set up fitted to the Jeep; at Sandtoft airfield in 2019.

'The Spy Who Loved Me' - The Bond Lotus affectionally known as "Wet Nellie". OK, not the actual Lotus, but it impressed my daughter that a car could turn into a submarine!
My Websites

armyairforce
G-Major
G-Major

Post by armyairforce » Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:10 am

There were around a couple of dozen vintage and modified cars on show and this one caught my eye.

There were also a number of living history groups, not just from World War 2.

My friend with the Dodge had been having a problem with his plugs oiling up since the covid lockdown break, so we drove back in convoy for mutual support. The engine behaved on the way home, but I need to look over a few things before Tanfield next weekend.

More pictures can be found here - https://www.sacarr.co.uk/mymvs/events/2022/fishburn.htm
My Websites

armyairforce
G-Major
G-Major

Post by armyairforce » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:22 pm

September 19th - Rough Running Investigation

At the start of the trip to Fishburn Airfield on the 17th, the Jeep was mis-firing and wasn't picking up properly. It seemed to sort itself out after a couple of miles and the rest of the trip went without problems. Starting for the return trip took a few goes, but the drive home was fine too. It still warranted some investigation.

I wanted to check all the valves were moving as they should and also that their gaps were ok. So the first job to access them was to remove the fender to get better access to the valve cover. Due to the wiring harness being fastened to the fender, it couldn't be completely removed, so after all the bolts were removed, it was left hanging low, balanced on top of the wheel. This was enough to give better access under the carburettor and manifold.

I didn't want to remove the manifold in case I damaged the gasket, so left it in place and worked under it. It was difficult working around the exhaust, but with virtually no time to order replacement parts, I wanted to disturb as little as possible.

All the valves were moving ok, the springs were fine and I checked the gaps. Only the number four cylinder valves had gaps slighly less than I wanted, but they were still within tolerences. With those adjusted, the cover plate edge had Wellseal applied and after a short while to dry, it was refitted to the engine.

Before I re-fitted the fender, I was going to give the engine a short run in case I had an oil leak around the re-fitted valve cover. I went to prime the carburettor with the fuel pump manual lever and as I did so, noticed fuel leaking from the inlet pipe into the carb.

Had the engine been leaking fuel and sucking air in through this joint, messing up the mixture and hence causing the rough running?

The joint was dismantled, cleaned and then the copper washer was smoothed off with some fine wet and dry to clean up both of the mating faces. It was then reassembled and the bolt nipped up. Another prime test showed no signs of leaking so I went for an engine start. The engine started ok and was idling smoothly. A few blips of the throttle showed the engine picking up ok from idle and higher RPM checks also showed the engine running smoothly. It was time to take the test to the next step - under load.
My Websites

armyairforce
G-Major
G-Major

Post by armyairforce » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:23 pm

I grabbed a coat and my daughter and we went out for a test drive, to put some load on the engine and check it operating under normal driving conditions. We left the village and took one of the back lanes until I came across the first parking place; then pulled in.

There were no sign of any fuel leaks, but I also wanted to make sure there was no oil leaking from the valve cover. Everything seemed well and the engine was running well. We carried on a couple of miles further and pulled in again for another check. Once again, all was well, so after a couple of pictures, headed back home after a 5 mile round trip.

My Websites

MP45
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by MP45 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:13 am

Glad to hear that you got the problem sorted & ready for the next event.

armyairforce
G-Major
G-Major

Post by armyairforce » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:33 am

Cheers. One Jeep sorted but today, I looked at the other one.

September 20th 2022 - GPW Engine Pickup Investigation

I spent part of today looking over the Ford GPW, which hasn't been out since Beamish last year. It wasn't running well at the event, but we'd trailered it there, so getting home wasn't a concern. Since then, life has been really busy with the Dodge rework and all the work in the house and garden. I haven't had time to look at the GPW, other than turning the engine over every so often to keep oil splashed around the engine and exercising the brakes and clutch.

Like "Jessie" yesterday, I took the fender and the valve cover off and checked all the valve springs were ok. I also checked that the valves were moving and checked the gaps. All the valves but number eight were ok and even that was within tolerances, but the gap was opened up a fraction more to match the rest at 16 thou.

The PCV gasket on the valve cover plate was torn, so I made a replacement. I also gapped and fitted four new spark plugs.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Major
G-Major

Post by armyairforce » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:36 am

The fuel in the fuel pump had turned green. While it was E5 petrol which is allegedly 5% or lower ethanol content ( not the new E10 ), this eco fuel is useless. I don't know how old the fuel was at the time of Beamish last year, but it was well gone now.

I had disconnected the fuel feed from the pump to the carburettor to get the valve cover off. While it was disconnected, I hooked up a pipe and a container of fresh fuel directly to the carburettor and tried starting the engine. It started straight away, idled smoothly and picked up cleanly when I opened up the throttle. This is where it had shown signs of burbling and slow pickup before.

I had already disconnected the fuel feed on the bottom of the tank, but with only a couple of gallons in there, it was below the level of the fuel pickup pipe. I did two or three tests on fresh fuel, which also helped to pump out the fuel filter on the firewall and fuel pump of contaminated fuel. Draining some fuel from the tank showed that was also badly contaminated.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Major
G-Major

Post by armyairforce » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:38 am

As a result of investigating the fuel system, I drained the remaining two and a bit gallons from the fuel tank.

While I was working on the valve cover plate, I noticed the centre was sooty on the outside, suggesting the exhaust flange gasket was failing, so I pulled that apart and ordered a replacement. I've left the Jeep in bits until that arrives and will then put it all back together again and add some fresh fuel before further engine tests. Hopefully I'll be able to get it out and take it for a run around before the really cold and wet weather arrives. The long hot Summer already seems like a distant memory!

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Major
G-Major

Post by armyairforce » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:20 pm

Tanfield Railway 1940s Weekend - September 24th & 25th

This was the first Tanfield Railway 1940s event since 2019, our last show before Covid shut the world down. It's been a long time coming back and I think it was the first large event at the railway since covid restrictions ended. We took the Dodge and M201 to the show, arriving late on Friday afternoon. For the first time, we decided to camp there, living a little further away now and with high fuel prices. Lynne had also just bought a new modern plastic tent and wanted to try it out before the year ended.

She's not a huge fan of crawling around in canvas tents. The new tent was hidden under our large camo net in the corner of the field and for a modern tent, it blended quite well into the trees behind.

Two locomotives were running during the weekend - the 1943 Austerity class 0-6-0 saddle tank No.49 and recently restored 1904 Andrew Barclay built 0-6-0 saddle tank "Horden".

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Major
G-Major

Post by armyairforce » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:24 pm

We were expecting some of our friends the following day, members of our unofficial group "The Hedgehog Heroes". The name came from the Beamish show a few years ago, where a member of the public tried to steal a ration box from our display. Without realising Neil was in the back of his GMC, the offender came into the display, picking up the ration crate explaining to his accomplice that it would make a great hedgehog house. Some sharp words from Neil put him straight. I'd recently got some magnetic plastic patches made, copied from an original bomb group patch of a hedgehog. All our vehicles now carry this patch.

Not all the group were there this weekend, but we still had two Dodges, two Jeeps and a trailer on show. The other guys arrived on Saturday morning and stayed for Sunday.

My Websites

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”