'42 GPW - '42 Peep's Motorpool!

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Re: '42 GPW - '42 Peep's Motorpool!

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:24 pm

70th Division wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:00 pm
Hello Peep,

You have a great post here ,
Very nice following along !!!

You are making great forward progress !!

Keep up your great works and we all look forward to your updates !!

Best Regards,
Ray
Hi Ray! Thank you for the kind words, much appreciated! I have had some set backs since my last update, but hope to get going again on some progress soon! :)

Nothing beats working on a G503! I was torn on whether to buy a wiring harness or build my own. A purchased one would be the most factory accurate I believe, and they are excellent quality at a fair price. Last month before I paused work, I started to make my own harness because I wanted to better understand the wiring. I figure the best way to know it inside and out, is to assemble it hands on! :lol: I already made the headlight harnesses, but have some finishing details to work out and add.

Hope to update more here soon! Thank you again for your interest!
"Peep" was the name used by the Armored Force for the 1/4 Ton truck early in WWII.

'42 Peep's Motorpool

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:34 pm

Hey everyone! :D

I've been pretty busy with a lot going on, but a found an old video I took at a reenactment back in 2009. It coincided with something I'd been thinking about (WWII vehicle fire extinguishers), and so I thought I'd release the video.

So basically when most of us see a nicely restored G503 (or any nicely restored WWII vehicle), the fire extinguisher is typically going to be an original that may or may not be empty anyway. And let me be clear, you do NOT want to attempt to use an original FE anyway, they are carcinogenic and toxic! A lot of people just have them for looks because it was a piece of the vehicle's equipment, but what if you take your G503 out and about (reenacting or not)? I think it's a good precaution to have a properly rated modern fire extinguisher with you, because you never know when you might need one! Things like this are rare, but serve as a reminder that not everything will go according to plan. In this case the reenactment was 'paused' and instead of 'fighting' each other, Allied & Axis reenactors came together to fight the fire. Hats off to those who extinguished it!

So once I'm done with the '42 project, it will have a modern fire extinguisher just in case, even if you don't need to use it someone else might.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T23SWuPdWQQ

Until next time friends! 8)
"Peep" was the name used by the Armored Force for the 1/4 Ton truck early in WWII.

'42 Peep's Motorpool

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:05 pm

Hey everyone! :D

No photos for this update, I've been super busy over the summer and fall. I made some good progress, but had to put the project on the back burner for a bit.

I did however make several small bits of progress, including painting one of the solid disk rims which while technically incorrect, came with it (when sold surplus at the end of the war), so back on it will go! 8) A little piece of it's history. I plan on ordering some new tires and tubes by spring (if not before the end of the year). So getting rims ready to go will save time later. :mrgreen:

6 months later I am still just as pleased with the JMP fuel tank as I was the day I opened it. :D I was thankful in that I did not have to replace my original sump, so I was very pleased with how well the tank fit.

Until next time my friends! :lol:

'42 Peep's Motorpool

70th Division
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:25 pm

Hello,

Nice update, and that you are making progress !

Good news, on most 42 GPWs , it has been reported that many of them had a least 1 solid rim on them. Maybe as a spare .

I have 1 that came on my 8-42 GPW, I have another GPW that has 1 as well. Both are unrestored jeeps, with USA numbers on the hoods.
There are several posts from a few years ago discussing this interesting thing about 1 solid rim found on many of the early Ford jeeps.

So , I would keep it , and use it as a spare, or anywhere.
I personally am convinced that they were issued 1 solid rim at the factory.

Best Regards,
Ray

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:36 pm

70th Division wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:25 pm
Hello,

Nice update, and that you are making progress !

Good news, on most 42 GPWs , it has been reported that many of them had a least 1 solid rim on them. Maybe as a spare .

I have 1 that came on my 8-42 GPW, I have another GPW that has 1 as well. Both are unrestored jeeps, with USA numbers on the hoods.
There are several posts from a few years ago discussing this interesting thing about 1 solid rim found on many of the early Ford jeeps.

So , I would keep it , and use it as a spare, or anywhere.
I personally am convinced that they were issued 1 solid rim at the factory.

Best Regards,
Ray
Hi Ray!

Thanks! I agree, it seems like there are an awful lot of early GPW's with the solid disk. I will definitely keep it with it, I like to keep as much history as I can.

Appreciate the thoughts! 8)

'42 Peep's Motorpool

Klaas
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Klaas » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:13 am

Was supplying one solid rim with early GPW's Henry's way of getting rid of surplus GP rims?
I can't imagine that Ford would keep a supply of two different wheels going unless there was stock sitting on the factory floor.
Klaas
GPW17331 - April 21 1942 - Dallas
BSA Airborne Bicycle R45105
BSA Airborne Bicycle R49171

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:58 pm

Klaas wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:13 am
Was supplying one solid rim with early GPW's Henry's way of getting rid of surplus GP rims?
I can't imagine that Ford would keep a supply of two different wheels going unless there was stock sitting on the factory floor.
Hi Klaas!

That's a good question, many might say no, but I think the only sure answer will be if documentation is found from the Ford assembly plants. It seems plausible that Ford having the rims on hand, would try asking the QM Corps for a contract modification that allowed them to substitute the spare rim to use up old stock. If that happened there is probably a document in an archive someplace, but just because we can't rule out such a paper exists or not, doesn't mean it couldn't have happened in my opinion. :)

'42 Peep's Motorpool

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”