A B-17 Fortress, Two Jeeps and a Dodge - My Ongoing MV Journey

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
armyairforce
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: A B-17 Fortress, Two Jeeps and a Dodge - My Ongoing MV Journey

Post by armyairforce » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:03 am

April 20th - New Ignition Parts Fitted

After our anniversary drive on the 16th, the following day I gave both Jeeps a good washdown to remove any traces of winter road salt.

Once dry, Jessie wouldn't start. There was no water in the dizzy and it's electronic ignition anyway. I'd noticed for some time that starting was getting harder, with the engine spinning over longer before firing. I was also getting shocks when touching the insulation on the HT leads anywhere from the dizzy to the plug cap. I checked the ballast resistor, which was ok and then changed the coil for a spare. I got the Jeep started, but it still wasn't convinced the coil was the only issue, so I ordered a replacement dizzy cap, rotor arm and HT leads. They arrived and were fitted on the morning of the 20th.

This is the old dizzy cap and rotor arm. They have been on the Jeep for around 11 years and 6,300 miles. There's a little sign of wear/arcing on each of the terminals of the dizzy cap but the rotor arm looks ok. Both were replaced with the new parts but will be tested again and kept as spares.

Steve Carr - Only dead fish swim with the stream
My Websites

armyairforce

Post by armyairforce » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:06 am

Here's the new dizzy cap and leads fitted and a video of a test start. The engine was idling around 700rpm. The engine started immediately when I hit the starter. A short test drive during the evening seemed ok. I still want to try and refit the old coil and try the new ignition components with that. I'm not sure if the old coil and HT leads have been failing at the same time, so want to try the new leads with the old coil and see if the starting and running is normal. If not, I know the old coil is suspect as well as the leads. The new leads have shown no signs of giving me shocks like the old set did.

Start and idle RPM check video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdRHpRCirHM
My Websites

armyairforce

Post by armyairforce » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:30 pm

Broomhouse Farm for Coffee - April 25th

I was going to give the Jeep a service today, but too much decorating and washing paint rollers recently, has caused recurring skin problems on my hands. I decided it was best to give the oily stuff a miss and went for a drive instead.

Durham station viaduct.
My Websites

armyairforce

Post by armyairforce » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:32 pm

After the recent fit of new ignition parts to "Jessie", I swapped back to the old coil to check it out against the new leads and dizzy cap. It started immediately again and all was well on the 20+ mile round trip to Broomhouse Farm. The HT leads seem to have been the cause of my issues, but they are still in the back locker as spares just in case. I'll probably put two in the GPW as spares, as the Jeep did still run with them fitted. It was good to know the original coil was ok, so the virtually new one could go back in the locker as a spare.

At the farm.

Last edited by armyairforce on Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Websites

armyairforce

Post by armyairforce » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:34 pm

It was sunny during the trip there and back and moderately warm while there having coffee. By late afternoon, we started to loose the heat from the sun, so it got a bit finger numbing on the way home. The tail gunner took most of the pictures on the trip.

Heading home again, with Durham Catheral just visible in the right side screen.
My Websites

Frank USMC
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Frank USMC » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:52 am

Been following your posts from the beginning. When I start my computer in the morning, my first check is to see if you had posted anything.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

YLG80
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by YLG80 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:30 am

Hi Steve,
Could you give details on how you have arranged the safety belt on the back seat for your “tail gunner” :D
Photos?
Where did you find a safety belt like that? Sports cars?
Thanks for sharing your nice photos.
Yves
Ford GPW 164794 1/4T 12-7-43 - Frame# GPW*239762*
ACM I body#198443
Restored as 1st Army 759th LT B21
ON6YD(ex YB1AUH) MVPA38444

armyairforce

Post by armyairforce » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:00 am

Frank USMC wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:52 am
Been following your posts from the beginning.....
Thanks Frank. Pleased you are still enjoying the adventure!
YLG80 wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:30 am
Hi Steve,
Could you give details on how you have arranged the safety belt on the back seat for your “tail gunner” :D
Photos?....
Yves
The belt is a 2 inch wide, quick release, four point racing harness bought from Ebay. The two shoulder straps go over the seat back and are bolted to the pintle hook bolts. A separate piece of webbing has been added looping around both straps, to stop them from moving apart and slipping down off the shoulders. The two waist straps pass around the side of the rear seat frame uprights and are bolted to each other and through the rear panel to hold them in place. I'm under no illusion that in the event of an accident, my daughter or us will walk away without injuries, but it keeps her in place during cornering, hard braking and even when she's fallen asleep in the back.
My Websites

YLG80
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by YLG80 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:48 pm

Thank you Steve.
That’s an interesting solution.
I’m not driving my jeep fast especially when I have other people on board.
My grandchildren are usually looking everywhere and they don’t pay attention to what I’m doing.
Your solution is good to keep them from tipping forward when I brake.
It happened twice without any injuries.
Thanks for the information.
Yves
Ford GPW 164794 1/4T 12-7-43 - Frame# GPW*239762*
ACM I body#198443
Restored as 1st Army 759th LT B21
ON6YD(ex YB1AUH) MVPA38444

armyairforce

Post by armyairforce » Mon May 03, 2021 11:39 am

May 2nd/3rd - Oil and Filter change

On May 2nd, I had some spare time to do a little servicing on Jessie. I'd start with the oil and filter change. I already had fresh oil and a new filter in stock, so expected it to be a fairly quick job, hopefully followed by some greasing. I was mindful of the rain forecast for the afternoon. The engine was run for a while to warm up the oil to aid its draining.

A simple oil change then ended up being a two day operation. I had a leak on the filter housing lid that just wouldn't go away. At first, it appeared that the rubber grommets in the top and bottom of the filter were far thicker than in the old filter. They added about 1/4 inch to the overall height of the filter. This appeared to the stopping the lid from fitting correctly. I didn't notice whether they were the same on the filter I fitted to the GPW recently, both being bought at the same time.

After I swapped them for the ones in the old filter element, I still had a leak. The large 'O' ring was also about 1mm thinner than on the old filter. Since the 'O' ring was thinner, it was also more flexible and I suspected that it was squeezing out of place as the lid was tightened on. I normally use Wellseal liquid gasket sealant to hold the 'O' rings in, but it hadn't helped on this occasion. I did it once more, but this time left it to cure much longer to get to the tacky stage before fitting the 'O' ring into the lid, in the hope it would keep it in place. The lid was fitted, the bolt turned finger tight until the lid was down on the housing lip and then just a slight nip with a spanner. I didn't want to risk squeezing it out of place.

The oil was topped up back to the full mark and a cloth wrapped around the filter to catch any more leaks. The whole engine bay needs a jetwash regardless! I'd started working outside this morning, but by lunch, had retreated to the garage as the Pacific Ocean descended on Durham. At least it would help to wash away the oil spill! The engine was turned over on the starter for several revolutions and all seemed well. I then fired it up and left it running at idle and still no sign of leaks. I then walked away for the day and plan to leave it a couple of days for the Wellseal to harden further before putting it under load. It's not something I've had to do in the past but I also want to give the 'O' ring time to see if it squeezes out again or stays in place. I'll run it in the garden for a while, watching it closely, before I venture back out on the road.

I don't know how many times I've changed filters on the two Jeeps and the Dodge and I've done it exactly the same way every time. I've never had so many problems as on this one, so I'm hoping it was all down to the odd sized rubber grommets and 'O' ring that came with this filter. I'll be paying more attention to their sizes the next time I'm tinkering with filters.

My Websites

MP45
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by MP45 » Mon May 03, 2021 1:27 pm

Glad to hear that it ended well. Sometimes the simplest of jobs turn into a nightmare.

armyairforce

Post by armyairforce » Wed May 05, 2021 4:02 am

I gave the Jeep another run in the garage last night, up to temperature and various RPM and all seemed well. No signs of any leaks. I'll still give it some more runs in the garden before I go for a drive, just to be sure, as pushing it three feet back into the garage is far less effort than pushing it three miles back home!!

I did order a spare rubber seal, so if I have any more trouble, I'll give up on the old one and put the replacement in.
My Websites

armyairforce

Post by armyairforce » Thu May 06, 2021 3:07 pm

GPW Date of Delivery Anniversary - May 6th

May 6th was the 78th anniversary for the date of delivery of my Ford GPW. It also happened to be the 21st anniversary of my wife and I getting married. A few weeks ago, we booked a table at the hotel where we had our wedding reception. However, the weather for the evening wasn't looking great. The day had started with bright sun, then by late afternoon, we had hailstones the size of peas. I checked the Jeep over in the garage, but wasn't getting it out in hail! By around 5pm, the hail had passed and the sun was back out. Out came the Jeep and off we went.

We recreated one of our wedding pictures with the Jeep, 21 years on in near enough the same spot. Obviously my phone couldn't compare to the wedding photographer's camera and my daughter wasn't quite as tall as the professional, but considering the weather we'd had earlier in the day, we were just pleased we managed to get out at all. Due to covid restrictions, all meals were served outside, so we were lucky the weather lasted for us. Two minutes after getting home and putting the Jeep away, the heavy rain came. The timing of the evening worked out perfectly.

My Websites

Ed Roberts
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Ed Roberts » Thu May 06, 2021 5:09 pm

Congratulations to a couple I've never met, but would certainly like to. I admire your commitment to family, history, matters of detail and having fun doing all of it. Bless you and wishes for many many more years together.

Sincerely, Eddie
V/r Eddie
1942 GPW #5739 "Sentimental Reasons"
MVPA & MVCC

armyairforce

Post by armyairforce » Fri May 07, 2021 1:17 am

Ed Roberts wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:09 pm
Congratulations to a couple I've never met.....

Sincerely, Eddie
Thanks for your kind words Eddie. We've had a lot of fun in life in general and with the Jeeps over the years.
My Websites

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”