A B-17 Fortress, Two Jeeps and a Dodge - My Ongoing MV Journey

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
armyairforce
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Re: A B-17 Fortress, Two Jeeps and a Dodge - My Ongoing MV Journey

Post by armyairforce » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:21 am

This is the museum's Halifax reproduction/replica. This was a massive undertaking for a museum that was fairly young at the time they started. No complete Halifax bombers survived at the time, only the lake wreck at the RAF Museum. Using an original rear fuselage and a H.P. Hastings wing, the museum built the rest of the airframe from scratch.

The Mosquito was built by Tony Agar over several decades. It was built from pieces of several different aircraft. In recent years, it moved to the museum at East Kirkby and is now in taxiable condition.

Steve Carr - Only dead fish swim with the stream
My Websites

armyairforce
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by armyairforce » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:25 am

Another big event of 2014 was the Canadian Lancaster visit to the UK.

Mynarski Memorial Lancaster visits RAF Middleton St George, August 28th

On Wednesday August 27th, the Mynarski Memorial Lancaster landed at the former RAF Middleton St George, now Durham Tees Valley Airport. The Lancaster had flown the Atlantic from Canada, for a six week tour of the UK. One of only two airworthy Lancasters, it flew in for a big open day on the 28th. It is painted in the markings of the aircraft flown by Andrew Mynarski VC, which was based at RAF Middleton St George during WW2. I took a friend along with me and she snapped a shot of me, Jessie the Jeep and the Lanc on the airfield apron, seen below.

It was a lovely sunny day until the Lancaster taxied out for a display flight, then the sky went grey!

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by armyairforce » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:27 am

There were a number of RAF re-enactors there who were happy to pose for pictures.

The day after the event, the Lanc was on a local flight and suffered an engine failure, landing back at Teesside trailing smoke. A replacement engine was fitted over the next week, but it wasn't ready in time for the first of the "Three Lancs" events at East Kirkby September 2nd. Fortunately for me, I'd booked tickets for a friend, my dad and myself for the second "Three Lancs" event on September 7th.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by armyairforce » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:31 am

Three Lancs - East Kirkby Airfield - September 7th 2014

After a week of being grounded following the engine failure, the Canadian Lancaster rejoined the BBMF Lancaster for displays.

East Kirkby airfield is home to Lancaster "Just Jane". This aircraft is running and can be taxied, and is slowly being returned to airworthy condition. With the Canadian Lancaster in the UK, the opportunity to get two Lancs flying over head with a third running on the ground was too good to miss and East Kirkby arranged a date where all 5000 tickets sold out rapidly. They managed to get a second date, also limited to 5000 tickets, and I was lucky to get one.

"Just Jane" was to make three taxi runs across the day, the last being with the other two Lancasters. This gave plenty of time to look around the museum. There were several military vehicles on display outdoors and in the hangar, and the Dakota was also out in the sunshine, though the airfield was shrouded in mist until mid morning. Below is the museum barracks, briefing room, Hampden project and Wellington remains.

About 3:50pm, "Jane" was fired up and taxied out into the field ready for the other two Lancasters. Knowing they were coming down from Scotland, I had my eyes straining behind the crowd to the North, and about 4pm, saw two small black dots coming our way. For the next eight minutes, the two Lancasters buzzed the field while "Just Jane" was repositioned to the same orientation as the overflying Lancasters.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by armyairforce » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:32 am

It was a great atmosphere and fantastic weather for the display. I expect the buzz was the same in the USA when the two B-29's flew together for the first time.
My Websites

jonggd
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by jonggd » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:25 pm

Excellent pictures of the Lancasters, I was fortunate to see them myself in 2014, once during the Summer Airshow at Duxford and again while sitting in my back garden one Sunday afternoon. I live in mid Bedfordshire (England) and just a couple of miles from the Shuttleworth collection. It was an amazing moment sitting there in my garden, to see a Lancaster fly over my house at what felt like tree top level, only to see another following, the sound was amazing. It was a stirring moment and made me proud to be British. A fitting memorial to those brave young men. Regards John

armyairforce
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by armyairforce » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:58 am

The three Lancs was a magic sound. I had a compact camera set on video, fastened to the bottom of my DSLR, just to capture the sound while I was shooting stills.

We went to eighteen events in 2015. Highlights were taking the GPW to Thorpe Abbotts to recreate the wartime pictures ( seen earlier in this thread ) and also visitng Debach airfield and museum again.

RAF Church Fenton/Leeds East Airshow - September 2015

In September, I had a great day out at the airshow held at the former RAF Church Fenton. It was a three hour, 100 mile Jeep drive each way. This was shortly after the Shoreham Hawker Hunter crash and so there were very tight restrictions over how the vintage jets were displayed.

I seem to recall the RAF was stretched with committments at the time, so there were no modern jets. That didn't bother me as the whole show had a more retro, 1970's feel to it.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by armyairforce » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:02 am

I parked the Jeep up with the other MV's on show, but spent the day at the crowd line. It was a misty start to the day but gradually cleared to a blue sky, late Summer day. The layout of the site resulted in the Sun being behind me all day, giving great lighting for aircraft photos. I didn't get home until after dark.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by armyairforce » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:05 am

To finish 2015, I had a very local event, about 1/2 mile away.

The Head Mistress at my daughter's primary school found out about my collection ( I may not have been the most subtle in this area ), and asked if I would bring something along to the school for the Year 6 class who were learning WW2 history. So before work that morning, the school run was made with both Jeeps; Lynne driving 'Jessie' while I took 'Hope'. Lynne then went off to work while I was left to bring them both home on my own after the talk. Since we live only 4 minutes walk from the school, driving home and walking back wasn't a problem.

While the weather forecast had initially been ok, Monday morning turned out showery. I had planned to display some gear outside with the Jeeps, but this was less than practical. Instead, I started off taking the gear into the class room to talk about it, while the class also told me what they had already learned. It did stop raining after a little while, at which time we all went outside for pictures with the Jeeps.

Following a chat and look at the Jeeps, I then took 'Hope' onto the school field for a blast around. After a few circuits around the field, I pulled over, and gave their teacher a ride before then giving him the chance to have a drive himself.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by armyairforce » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:07 pm

2016 was quite busy, with fourteen, one and two day public events attended. All three vehicles made it to Croft Nostalgia and my daughter's school for the history lesson. We also had a few drives out just for fun.

"Frontline" at Sedgefield - June 11th
The weekend of June 11/12th saw two events taking place locally. I was interested in both, so opted to do a day at each. Saturday saw us taking both Jeeps to a new event called 'Frontline', located in Sedgefield. It was a multi-period event featuring re-enactors including WW2, American Civil War, Tudor, Roman and several other periods in history. The following day was the Steam Gala at Tanfield Railway.

Fishburn Airfield - July 1st
The day before the Fly-In, I took 'Jessie' down to Fishburn for the hope of a photoshoot along with the Harvard that was flying in late in the afternoon. It was around 16:00 hours when the Harvard finally arrived giving a small aerobatic display before landing. Soon after, I got the chance to take the Jeep out onto the live side, with this being just one of many pictures taken.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by armyairforce » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:18 pm

Croft Nostalgia - August 4th~8th
For the 2016 show, I decided to take all three vehicles on display. The activity began on Thursday, collecting the Dodge from storage and bringing it home. Because Lynne was working in Richmond, I was able to take the GPW to Croft on Thursday afternoon and be picked up on her way home. On Friday morning, we then drove the M201 and Dodge to Croft. It then took about three hours to set up the tents and the display of vehicles. It was nice to have all three vehicles on show together, along with the various display artifacts we had.

Beamish Museum "Dig for Victory" - September 3rd
The "Dig for Victory" event was in its second year at the Beamish Open Air Museum. The event was on for four days, 'though we could only attend one day that year. We took both Jeeps along and were joined by another half dozen MV's. After a morning briefing, we convoyed around the site road, through the 1913 town, past the entrance, and back to the show field. From then on, we were free to drive around the site at any time, allowing the public to see convoys moving and varying displays around the whole museum site.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by armyairforce » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:04 am

2017 was another busy year with seventeen events, one school visit and one trip out in the snow. The collection were only together for one local event at Bowes Railway.

Bowes Railway/Springwell Village 1940's weekend - July 1/2nd
Bowes Railway was part of the network of railways that took coal from the mines in the area to the local docks. The large number of hills in the area meant that a normal steam loco couldn't manage the gradients. As a result, parts of many local railways had a static steam engine at the top of the hills and used wire ropes to haul the wagons up the hills and lower them down the other side. Back in the early 1980's my dad and I were volunteers on the railway and manned a crossing on one of the hills.

The picture below shows a rake of six coal wagons, shortly after passing the crossing on Blackhams Hill. The building showing just above the wagons is the next static engine winding house to move the wagons over the next section of the line.

Today, the rope haulage section and crossing that I worked on is disused and overgrown. The wire rope settled into a metal groove in the middle of the road ( now filled in ) where the crossing was, but was supported on metal rollers between the track for the rest of the hill.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by armyairforce » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:08 am

For this event, both Springwell village and the railway were involved in the 1940's weekend. Being just 2.5 miles from home, it was an easy event to get to. On day one, there were only two vehicles turned up; my Jeep and a friend in his Kubelwagon. For day two, I told the organiser that if they could drive me home each time, I could bring three vehicle, which is what happened.

Each day, a local re-enactment group had a mock battle in the rail yard just behind where the vehicles were displayed. It took me straight back to the 1970's, where so many war films had fighting amongst wagons and tracks in a yard.

At the end of the second day, I parked them all together for a group photo - "The Class of 2017"

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by armyairforce » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:55 am

Wings & Wheels Festival, Eshott Airfield - August 19/20th
The Wings & Wheels Festival was a new show for 2017. There was some confusion amongst the organisers and a lack of space when Chris and I arrived at Eshott, having met up north of Newcastle and convoyed up the A1. A large amount of the site had also been given up to a fun fair. Eventually, those military vehicle owners who weren't camping were moved and we then had space to set up camp. Another friend arrived later on Friday afternoon, but we'd save him a spot. Amongst the military displays were a replica Spitfire and Bf109E.

NELSAM Remembrance & 607 Squadron Reunion - Nov 11th
This was my last event trip out for 2017 with the Ford having the day out. The drive there was very cold, despite being a bright sunny day, and slightly longer than normal, having to follow diversion signs due to a closed road. I parked up in my usual spot next to the memorial for the short ceremony.

My Websites

Ez8
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Ez8 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:16 am

Keep the posts coming. I'm really enjoying seeing all the pictures from your experiences. :D
MB# 215159 D.O.D 2-25-43
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=96&t=209632

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”