The rise of social media and the fall of the forums.

G503 General Discussion and Chat Board where users can discuss any topic about their jeeps. Jeep Use both On and Off Road, Handy & Safety Tips. Topics that don't belong on the Technical Boards, such as personal restoration progress etc. It functions as a Clubhouse.
Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Re: The rise of social media and the fall of the forums.

Post by Chuck Lutz » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:58 am

Yeah, and now the millennials don't like Facebook, either....too "old school" and "un cool" for them...
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

northcoastsailor
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by northcoastsailor » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:14 pm

It was a fun platform to keep up with friends, until mom, dad, aunts, uncles, 10 year old cousins started using it. In the last year or so of using it, I would scroll through ads, reposted memes, and shear crap. Nobody posted anything original anymore and the whole connect with friends aspect had been lost. I have been off of it for a few years and do not miss it.

I would bet more 40+ use it than millenials.
Not For Nothin' (A Jeep Salad consisting mostly of MB 432554)

JIMN
G-Major
G-Major

Post by JIMN » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:15 pm

Facebook is intentionally incredibly disorganized. They want to keep you on there as long as possible. They want you to scroll and scroll and scroll.
As mentioned, Facebook is full of old people, and politics. That turns off young people. It is on its way down, but it will be a very very slow death.
I have no trouble using my cell phone on the forums.
The problem with this forum is not the people who post odd things. It is the people that complain about it that takes a thread slightly disrupted and just make it worse, often with rebuttal complaining.
As I am not part of any “click” on g503 that seems to exist, something seemed to have happened and much of the trouble has been reduced.
For some reason I enjoy the reading about the hobby wherever I can find it, I will live with whatever way the wind blows it.....
Yep, took it apart too long ago, and now can’t remember everything.....
Bantam T3
Ford GP
Willys MB

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:51 am

JIMN....

Things have mellowed a bit on the gee, but I would like to point out that for the most part, the most bickering came from the most savvy jeep gurus.

So, the gee traded some of the most intelligent minds for less squabbling.....the "dumbing down" of G503, so to speak.

What many missed is that after pages of back and forth during which MANUALS, PART NUMBERS, PHOTOS, etc. were posted so that those watching from the sidelines could LEARN if there was DEFINITIVE EVIDENCE presented or if some OPINIONS were just that and no evidence could be posted to support that opinion/theory.

You had to sift through a lot of it to gather REAL intel and identify unsubstantiated "opinions".

Try that learning experience on facebook.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Return to “G503 General Discussion Board”