The rise of social media and the fall of the forums.

G503 General Discussion and Chat Board where users can discuss any topic about their jeeps. Jeep Use both On and Off Road, Handy & Safety Tips. Topics that don't belong on the Technical Boards, such as personal restoration progress etc. It functions as a Clubhouse.
donk_316
G-Captain
G-Captain

Re: The rise of social media and the fall of the forums.

Post by donk_316 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:17 am

Well after a few months on Facebook it only confirmed what I already believed.
Constant incorrect information being shared freely. The corrected information is then buried 4-5 responses deep... but then the thread is lost 24 hrs later and then someone else posts a similar question and the cycle repeats itself.

Tom is run ragged relying to people who don’t know how to google “where was my GPW built” or “where did my Jeep serve in ww2”... holy crap folks.

The last one that got me was “what markings are correct for my Jeep”... then 1000 incorrect answers.

Seriously FB, beyond the sharing of events or pictures is a totally worthless platform for this sort of hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GPW 112092
DoD 04-30-43
USA 20372531 (orig)
MVPA 35963

GPW 120771 frame for sale
GPW 120743 engine for sale
GPW October 1943 ACM1 tub and hood (with #) for sale
April 1942 GPW tub and frame for sale
**will trade for wartime 1/4T trailer**

raymond
G-General
G-General

Post by raymond » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:14 am

facebook mines the he!! out of your data, location, photos, etc. to sell to advertisers.

With facebook, you are the product, not the customer.

Raymond
General Pinochet's Helicopter Tours

Free Rides for ANTIFA

USAFpj
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by USAFpj » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:19 am

You bring up lots of good points, but try convincing half the world (literally) to think and act the same way! I honestly think the two worst things that have happened in the last 15 years are Facebook/social media and the creation of the smart phone. Life seemed so much more enjoyable before both existed...
Amen. I've tried to have an open mind, but even at the younger age of 45, I sound like an 'old man'.

The speed at which we are demanding instant knowledge is astounding. And like some have said, the amount that is incorrect as well.

That phone is an addictive source, and all you have to do is take a look at your family's use of it to see it to be true.

northcoastsailor
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by northcoastsailor » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:19 am

On either platform, independent research and verification is lost amongst users. Why verify things when I can take them at face value? Why try to look things up in a manual or a simple google search when I can clog the forum / BookFace with more posts that have been covered? Laziness, lack of critical thinking skills, desire to be spoon fed information, who knows...
Not For Nothin' (A Jeep Salad consisting mostly of MB 432554)

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:41 am

Still trying to understand why I need the "social media" flavor of the week. If you spend enough time on the gee, you know that the easy questions are easily answered and you might get a poke in the ribs to "buy the books". Of course those demanding Instant Gratification don't want to bother with LOOKING UP info, they want others to do that.

The gee is "Old School" and FB and the others are the NEW WAY to ask questions. So be it, but my sources who are long time gee members who have actually built jeeps and won awards with them tell me that even correct answers get lost when the next week someone askes the SAME question and gets a DIFFERENT answer! At least on the gee new threads with the SAME questions often result in a link to a long running debate that actually settles the correct answer.

I think FB got going so you could post pics of your new baby, the dog/cat or the countless pics of the food served at restaurants for everyone in your party.

The gee has it's limitation on file size and the search function is a bit dodgy, but it's still the place where the most informed guys are found and who are there for the new guys or the restorers 24/7.

If you noticed lately, FB/Zuckerberg has been catching flak and has at least temporarily lost advertising revenue due to it's policy of how it handles outright falsehoods, racist posts, etc. It remains to be seen if it is more important to monitor their own content honestly or to just try boost revenue.

Since nobody has explained to me why I NEED it, here is my vote:
No FB.jpg
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

clintm20
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by clintm20 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:56 pm

In my opinion FB is really only good for reaching buyers and sellers. Much like the early days of the internet when all we had was a cool old bulletin board called the 'Mil-Veh list' or 'MV-List', and the first few years of ebay you can find some crazy good deals on parts and vehicles from people with stuff who need to sell it and are not necessarily experts on identifying parts and vehicles. As far as technical advice and other questions its a joke and people steal threads like its a badge of honor.

I'm using it and it's worth the bs for now. If you really like looking for stuff, buying and selling parts it is an asset, or can be. Social media in general is horrible and I agree life was better before the cell phone and the web. But you know that genie is out of the bottle and it ain't going back in.
Green Trucks and High Tides Forever

Ez8
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Ez8 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:23 pm

I like Facebook because I like knowing that I'm helping to create a third party surveillance apparatus.
MB# 215159 D.O.D 2-25-43
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=96&t=209632

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:28 am

What a waste.
Cell phone Zombies.
Can't carry on a conversation without being interrupted by the person I am talking to having their cellphone go off and they pounce.
Some good stuff but it is buried in to much crap.
Example. I need intel on a Yamaha ATV stator. Found a face book video. 23 minutes long. Some guy doing a selfie about what I wanted to know.
TILT !!
Never did get the intel. The guy wondered off through his back yard about half way through the selfie video to show everyone the Paper Wasp nest under his garage roof eve. That is when I bailed out.
Don't own a cellphone. Don't do Facebook and don't plan to.
???
People that really want to get in touch with me do.
The Draft Board found me 50 years ago and we didn't have cell phones or personal computers back then.
Amazing !!
:mrgreen:
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 46 yrs)
EAA ( 46 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

Thunderbird712
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Thunderbird712 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:21 am

Man you guys and the hatred of FaceBook. Have any of you seen the drama that has gone on here through the years! FB has a search function on the individual pages so you can look up old posts or look to see if a topic has been discussed before. I use it all the time! A post for the most part will always stay at the top of a page as people comment on it. Just like here.

Is there drama on FB. Yes of course! Again this forum is no stranger to ridiculousness! Is there incorrect information on FB yes! You can find plenty of incorrect information on here as well. Both venues have their pros and cons. A lot of people on FB use this forum as well. A lot of the most knowledge folks in the Jeep world are on FB. Can't contact Tom on here any more. You can find him in multiple places on FB. So if you don't want to use FB that is fine. However you can use both venues to your advantage!
TJ Zackman
1945 Willys MB, 430923, 3/28/45
Scored 98.375% at 2019 MVPA Convention York, PA

1953 M38A1, 69248, 12/53, 20999713
MVPA# 37298

donk_316
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by donk_316 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:34 am

I live in both worlds. Facebook wouldn’t even be an issue if all the minds were allowed to be here.
And now I can’t go back and correct my old posts, edit for sale adds, or delete my double posts...
It’s like this forum shot off its foot and then cut off a hand instead of just putting on a bandaid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GPW 112092
DoD 04-30-43
USA 20372531 (orig)
MVPA 35963

GPW 120771 frame for sale
GPW 120743 engine for sale
GPW October 1943 ACM1 tub and hood (with #) for sale
April 1942 GPW tub and frame for sale
**will trade for wartime 1/4T trailer**

rondo
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by rondo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:47 am

i prefer the forums as info is easily laid out and a google search that starts with g503 almost always pulls great info

the drama here was part of the entrance fee, stupid, entertaining and annoying but that's how people are in real life.

dont' really care for FB and i wish they would all come here instead. We need to bring back the delete function for posts because not being able to edit things is really annoying!
42 GPW; 41WC6
"moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men"

Joe Friday
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Joe Friday » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:15 pm

Can't contact Tom on here anymore? Don't need to. He was just here a few days ago to make a delivery and explain how to decipher some Jeep records.

I don't care about FB. I don't use it.
I do have an IPHONE, but I have to for my job.

I have a minimum of apps, location services off, SIRI updates off, and yet at 3 PM yesterday I got 3 "important notifications about Black Transexual rights bills" that were circulating.

I have a good friend that is a Detective in a large city that teaches how to mine personal data from Cell phones and personal media.
Facebook is dangerous.

It also annoys me when I take the time to research a question, and the original poster never comes back to see the answer...
2018 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #419

jnissen
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by jnissen » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:16 pm

This Forum uses a plugin called Tap-a-Talk. Allows you to view and follow individual forum posts or the entire site easily on your phone. Download Tapatalk and it’s good for numerous different forums as well. That way you use one app to keep up with dozens of different forums if you want to.

Downside is not all forums use the tapatalk plugin. The good ones however do like this site. Certainly an alternative to simplifying your life.
Jim Nissen
1955 M38A1
Patent Plate MD74784
Engine Plate MD85578
BS Hood Number 20974784

Tapper02
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Tapper02 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:01 pm

I for one love the G and the wealth of knowledge that is archived here from years of input....even if some of it is from members who either have parted ways with the forum voluntarily or are no longer "welcomed" here, for whatever reason. I can certainly look past most of the snarky comments and arguments, although some of them get pretty old sometimes when they rear up over and over...haven't seen much of it recently though.

One of the perks to the forum is the way it is organized. Even if the search option is broken, you can still search anything through Google and just add site: g503.com and it will come up.
ndnile wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:43 pm
Most every day I wander on to this site and look at most of the new content posted that day. I'm not going to "follow" a zillion posts so I can flood my mailbox to skip over the old content. Consequently I click on the last page of postings and manually scan the page as I scroll so I can manually find the new content. Again this is cleanly handled by other hosting SW solutions.
And I can log on and quickly get an update on new posts...just click on "Quick Links" in the upper left, then select "New Posts" and voila! No need to troll down the list of boards for new content....

Only recently did I cave and join Facebook....but only to gain access to a select few groups (halftracks, canvas, radios, ben hurs, etc). My wife doesn't even know I have an account...it's not for the sake of social media, not so I can keep up with friends, not so my family can stalk me...it's so I can connect in another way with fellow MV enthusiasts, partly driven by the fact that every social event that we have has been (and will be for the foreseeable future) cancelled due to the Wuhan Flu. Heck, I even follow the European MV forum. I only wish there was a way to get the word out about the G....there are likely hundreds if not thousands of owners out there living in a cave who don't know about the forum, or the FB groups, or either.

-Tom
1944 Autocar M3A1 halftrack
1944 Schelm Bros. M10 Ammunition Trailer

MVPA # 30507

autonoob
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by autonoob » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:34 pm

The millennials have arrived in full force and they don't like our aging platforms.

Return to “G503 General Discussion Board”