WWII Home Front posters and sign

Posters, Signs, Rationing, War Bonds, Japanese Relocation, Camp Shows or War Production
SteveG
USAF Cop (Ret)

WWII Home Front posters and sign

Post by SteveG » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:23 pm

Got these two original Home Front posters recently. The first one is a hand painted poster, so I would imagine it's one of a kind. I really like the graphics on the ship and tanks. No dates shown.

The second one, The Hull Compass poster, is an original advertising piece on heavy cardstock. I would imagine that not too many of these got made. This size piece looks like the ones that hung along the sides of the ceiling in a bus or trolley car. No dates shown.

The third photo is a sign I just got today. This sign is for the MP unit at Hammer Field in Fresno CA. Great piece! (Actually, my friend, AZ Jeff, made it for me. Real nice job, Jeff!) It's done on Masonite, like most wartime signs, as metal was tightly rationed for the war effort. I collect Hammer Field items as you may have guessed and was very happy to get this. Thanks!

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Re: WWII Home Front posters and sign

Post by Steve Webb » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:23 pm

Interesting tid bit about the masonite. Makes sense but I assumed the signs were metal.
Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross Psalm 55; 9-11

SteveG
USAF Cop (Ret)

Post by SteveG » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:32 pm

I have several WWII era signs that are Masonite, including Air Raid Warden signs, a War Speed 35 sign and more. With steel being so tightly rationed, we even saw the 1 ton Ben Hur style trailers and CCKW and WC Dodge beds go to using more wood to preserve steel for essential war production. Most of the commercial advertising signs, even Coca Cola signs from that time were either Masonite, paper or cardboard.

AZ Jeff
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by AZ Jeff » Fri May 03, 2013 10:36 am

And not just any Masonite... but gen-u-ine 1945 vintage board (ex-3 gallon decontaminator packing material). :D

Jeff Q.
AZ

SteveG
USAF Cop (Ret)

Post by SteveG » Fri May 03, 2013 10:40 am

Hey, only the best! Thanks again for a great sign! The attention to detail is always appreciated!

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Wed May 29, 2013 9:41 am

Very nice! I'd gladly pay $1950 for that ambulance. Is that from a magazine?
phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Wed May 29, 2013 11:40 am

Looks like a War Bond poster to me. I did an inflation calculator based on 1943. It would be 26,210 today.
Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross Psalm 55; 9-11

pdrj209
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by pdrj209 » Wed May 29, 2013 5:51 pm

Hey SteveG,

I'd love to see you post anything else you have from Hammer Field. Being a native Fresnan, I once considered collecting Hammer Field items as well. I did come across a guys footlocker from Fresno's Camp Pinedale a while back. Complete with most of his stuff. But there doesn't seem to be much Pinedale stuff out there. Its difficult to even find photos online.

Phil
1942 MB S/N 193532, Hood #20245660S, Body # 95018
1945 Converto Airborne Dump Trailer #0878180
RL-35 Handcart

SteveG
USAF Cop (Ret)

Post by SteveG » Wed May 29, 2013 7:34 pm

I do have original 8x10 photos from the war showing their CO with celebrities and one showing the mural in their HQ building, which I saw before they tore it down. A local guy has a wooden double door wall locker, probably from there, but I haven't seen much else. I remember many of the WWII era buildings and base housing that was still there in the 1960's. It's all gone now. I would really like to find something large that can be traced to Hammer Field to display in my shop.

You're right, Camp Pinedale stuff is even harder to find..

Return to “WWII Home Front”