Wartime road signs in Tennessee?

Posters, Signs, Rationing, War Bonds, Japanese Relocation, Camp Shows or War Production
Lee Bishop
G503 War Correspondent
G503 War Correspondent

Wartime road signs in Tennessee?

Post by Lee Bishop » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:48 pm

I'm slowly desinging and will soon be building a model train layout (O scale narrow gauge) that takes place in TN in 1943.
One of things that has stumped me is what wartime road signs looked like in Tennessee. I have the license plates figured out, but I want to make scale authentic speed limit and direction/distance signs as well as the state highway signs of the era. Does anyone have a good reference for this by any chance?
Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former US Army Captain and REMF :mrgreen:

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Re: Wartime road signs in Tennessee?

Post by lt.luke » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:03 pm

Could be something in the book "Somewhere in TN with Second Army". I have a copy, but no idea where it is at the moment.

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:37 am

Lee,
Very curious, why Tennessee? And since I live in TN, if there is anything I can track down for you on this end let me know.
phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:04 am

pjones wrote:Lee,
Very curious, why Tennessee? And since I live in TN, if there is anything I can track down for you on this end let me know.
phil
HUGE maneuvers in TN during WWII, but more Middle and a bit of West.

Lee Bishop
G503 War Correspondent
G503 War Correspondent

Post by Lee Bishop » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:25 pm

pjones wrote:Very curious, why Tennessee?
I'll be modeling the East Tennessee & Western North Carloina RR: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Tenne ... a_Railroad
My parents grew up outside of Elizabethton, which is where the layout will take place (on a ficticious branchline up Stoney creek, if anyone is familiar with the area, right through where both my parents were born and raised). Most of my family lived there growing up and we went almost every year, either in the summer or over Christmas going up there from Florida where I grew up...
More on my concept here if anyone cares: http://www.freewebs.com/willysmb44/modeltrains.htm

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:29 pm

Did Burma Shave put up signs during WWII?
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:40 pm

Lee,
I am familiar with the area. I grew up in Johnson City which isn't more than 15 minutes from Elizabethton. Look forward to seeing your completed project.
Phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

Lee Bishop
G503 War Correspondent
G503 War Correspondent

Post by Lee Bishop » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:33 pm

Ben Dover wrote:Did Burma Shave put up signs during WWII?
Not down the highway I'm modeling. I asked my parents about little details like that, and they didn't see Burma Shave signs until after WW2. Keep in mind, this takes place way up a rural highway in the mountains (an area that had the depression long before '29 and prosperous times never really ever hit the region even after WW2) during the height of gas rationing.
pjones wrote:I am familiar with the area. I grew up in Johnson City which isn't more than 15 minutes from Elizabethton. Look forward to seeing your completed project.
You didn't happen to buy your GPW in the area, did you? My Dad had a 42 GPW which GrandPa sold out from under him when he was in the USAF in the late 50s. I don't have a serial # but I've long hoped some collector has it and is well caring for it today...
Also, did you know Tom Kirkland or Phil Bishop when you were in the tri-cities area? Just curious...

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:18 pm

Sounds like it may not be appropriate, but its almost too bad you can't integrate a "See Rock City" barn roof.

https://www.google.com/search?q=see+roc ... TW3tOVM%3A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Phil, bring back memories? I don't remember seeing any of these in the last couple years. :(

Lee Bishop
G503 War Correspondent
G503 War Correspondent

Post by Lee Bishop » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:25 pm

lt.luke wrote:Sounds like it may not be appropriate, but its almost too bad you can't integrate a "See Rock City" barn roof.
As I understand, there was at least one of those in the area at the time and I found a good image of a early one with a good 30s-looking typeface that I'll be re-creating on the roof of a barn (I have all the railroad equipment done, now I'm looking for strutures to build, mostly small houses, a couple of country stores, at least one church and some small barns).

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:43 pm

Lee Bishop wrote:
lt.luke wrote:Sounds like it may not be appropriate, but its almost too bad you can't integrate a "See Rock City" barn roof.
As I understand, there was at least one of those in the area at the time and I found a good image of a early one with a good 30s-looking typeface that I'll be re-creating on the roof of a barn (I have all the railroad equipment done, now I'm looking for strutures to build, mostly small houses, a couple of country stores, at least one church and some small barns).
That's cool. I just googled it. Those were in 19 states at one time, & they think most of the survivors are in TN. I remember looking for them on trips growing up, but the last couple times I've been home, I don't remember seeing any.

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:04 pm

Lt. Luke,
I have seen many a barn roof with that on it. Unfortunately, there are fewer and fewer and many of the old barns have aged and been knocked down. Also, they don't seem to advertise as much now a days. Still I believe there are some around Chattanooga and some in north Alabama. I agree Luke, hate to see the old stuff disappear. Guess thats why we are on this site.

Lee,
My GPWs came out of California. However, there is a 42 script GPW less than a mile from my house that I have been unable to get the owners to sale. It just sits in a barn and they pull it out on July 4th and then put it back.
phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:07 pm

Lee,
If you need a picture of anything around Elizabethton, scenery or buildings, I would be glad to take them for you.
phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Thu May 30, 2013 3:42 am

Sorry it is sideways.....but there are still a few around. Taken last fall, early winter in Tennessee. Lee if you need the original pic I can email it to you.
rockcity.JPG
rockcity.JPG (142.53 KiB) Viewed 6152 times
phil

Fixed the photo Phil

ADMIN
Attachments
rockcity.jpg
rockcity.jpg (95.79 KiB) Viewed 6136 times
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

Lee Bishop
G503 War Correspondent
G503 War Correspondent

Post by Lee Bishop » Thu May 30, 2013 2:39 pm

Thanks, Phil. Actually, my parents are at the house Dad grew up in on Stoney Creek right now for a few days (they go up there every now and then to keep an eye on the place).
I've found some good shots of "See Rock City" signs with more 40s-looking typefaces. I'm not looking forward to building the barn to paint it on, as nobody makes a accurate East-TN-style tobacco barn that isn't a 'board by board' kit that will take forever to build...

Return to “WWII Home Front”