Wartime road signs in Tennessee?

Posters, Signs, Rationing, War Bonds, Japanese Relocation, Camp Shows or War Production
Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: Wartime road signs in Tennessee?

Post by Chuck W. » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:38 am

Lee, are you modeling the ET&WNC by chance? Any photos of your models?

Lee Bishop
G503 War Correspondent
G503 War Correspondent

Post by Lee Bishop » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:08 pm

Chuck W. wrote:Lee, are you modeling the ET&WNC by chance?
I am, indeed! My parents grew up in the area so I've always had an interest in that RR.
Here are a few shots of some of the stuff I've put together:
ImageImageImageImage
I have three 4-6-0 locomotives (#11 and #12 already done, a third will be #9 but the paint work is pending), a small diesel switcher (for the fictional Army camp spur), 5 passenger coaches and over 20 freight cars (all based on existing cars on that RR in 1943) and a couple still need to be built along with a wood kit of the one caboose they had by this timeframe. The layout will be a "U" shape in a room 10X11 feet (but not going to the opposite wall). I'm still finalizing a track plan at this time. I have no shots of the locomotives as of yet, as I'm not done with minor details (trying to figure out how to re-create the odd covers they put over the tender back up headlights).
More details here if anyone is really interested: http://www.freewebs.com/willysmb44/modeltrains.htm
Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former US Army Captain and REMF :mrgreen:

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:24 pm

Interesting, I thought I remembered you were an Eatin' Taters & Wearing No Clothes fan. I have a few On30 pieces that I bought a while back, but decided to stick with my HO Shays. If you think you might be interested in the stuff, I'll dig it out and see what all I have.

Lee Bishop
G503 War Correspondent
G503 War Correspondent

Post by Lee Bishop » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:40 pm

Chuck W. wrote:Interesting, I thought I remembered you were an Eatin' Taters & Wearing No Clothes fan. I have a few On30 pieces that I bought a while back, but decided to stick with my HO Shays. If you think you might be interested in the stuff, I'll dig it out and see what all I have.
Yeah, if you're looking to make a deal offloading some On30 stuff, PM me.
I'm basically looking for rolling stock the ET&WNC had (no stock cars, tank cars, 'ventiallated' boxcars or any cabooses as none of the Bachmann stuff matches even close to any prototype stuff they had). I got into On30 only because they started making their ten-wheelers in that scale, and doing a good job of it, too. In fact, I just mailed out my G scale ET&WNC # 12 from an ebay sale the other day...
Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former US Army Captain and REMF :mrgreen:

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:22 am

I'll get back to you when I can breathe again, might have some 0n30 trucks and flats you can use. Working on my second open heart surgery in 6 months and this one's really bad.

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:34 pm

Saw a little handmade sign that said O Gauge Museum along Alternate 27 near Williston/Bronson Fl. on the way to Tallahassee Friday evening. I have been by there many times but probably because of this topic it stuck in my head for the first time.
Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross Psalm 55; 9-11

breven52
G-Major
G-Major

Post by breven52 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:28 pm

I'm from Kingsport, now in Murfreesboro for college. Let me know if I can help! I occasionally still see "see rock city" barns. Just not as often as I saw when I was growing up.
'42 Script GPW GPW6434
'41/2 Slat Grill Willys MB
'43 Bantam T-3 trailer
'62 Ford M151
MVPA#30758

Jim Eubanks
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Jim Eubanks » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:53 pm

Go to the Museum of Science and Industry at Oak Ridge TN, Lots of pics of war time.

Return to “WWII Home Front”