My Bantam civvy almost done

For posting of Trailer, Towed Artillery and Hand Carts. As Found, Restored or Present Condition
Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Re: My Bantam civvy almost done

Post by Steve Webb » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:16 pm

Got my fitted top yesterday. Very pleased and I had an idea on how it should be attached but left it up to the canvas folks and they made it better I think, certainly less complicated than what I was going to do. I am going to round off my wood and put some weatherstripping or cushioning on top to avoid possible rubbing. Picked a little contrast in the shade from trailer and liking it a lot. Removable tailgate still number one feature for me but this is #2 best thing with trailer. Figured out how to lock up my box and will install it SECURELY to frame :wink: . Spare tire carrier underneath and she is done.

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross Psalm 55; 9-11

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Sun May 09, 2021 3:12 pm

Box is mounted with 2 through bolts/ double nutted and 4 self tapping screws so if it comes loose then probably way worse thing will be happening. It does add front weight which I don't mind hopefully with my spare mounted I can get in back if it is not attached to vehicle. I can move it by hand so not too bad.

Strap made and locked so lid can't be removed. In a hurry and messed up width so had to splice a piece in but oh well it works

Curb side partition I have a folding Sterno stove and Folding Esbit stove/fuel a Yugo mess kit a stainless cup some incidentals and canteens

Road side has jack, rags, gloves, ropes, some chain and lock, trailer hitch and probably have first aid kit also. I have my lug wrench inside and the middle partition will hold my 2 12 volt batteries for some camping stuff I am working on or if not a pretty big gear stash area. Spare tire mounting is next.

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Sun May 09, 2021 3:15 pm

Ooops I left out moving my markers to side for backing up. Can leave them now and use the tailgate

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Fri May 14, 2021 3:18 pm

Had a rain shower first time since top made. No leaks through so glad I listened to the guy about what was proper canvas to use for Florida. Hopefully get my spare tire carrier done tomorrow.

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:37 pm

Well test run worked out great. Camped 3 days sleeping in trailer with air mattress and sleeping bag. Trailer was stable and had room for my camp box that I have had for over 40 years and a Polish duffle bag for clothes. Put it under a 10x10 pop up canopy and caught some breeze. I also took a solar panel set up with batteries for lights and a small fan that I had on low to keep a little breeze for mosquitos right at turn in time. Had about an hour rain not real heavy but I was able to put cover on quickly and keep water off inside trailer just some drips from a few pin holes in canopy.

My tire mounting idea did not work as it is too low only 5-6" of clearance but having the tire under and forward of the axle provides the stability that I was looking for. Have heard you can take a undermount set up from a pickup to use and crank tire up so will head in that direction but still learned what i wanted to.

Too hot now and was pushing it end of May but had to try it out. I think I would take it down to about 50 degrees at night and be comfortable.

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:28 am

Well summer is hopefully over now. I had made some standoffs to keep from puddles on the top in the 4 areas between the framing. It worked splendidly and very easy to make with almost no cost and to remove also. Just a 8x8 plywood base, ripped some 2x4's and put a rebar cap on top so canvas would not get a tear or worn spot. I thought I may have to change them and run them on top of my center support kind of like a peak of tent but did not have to.

Have not tackled raising the spare tire yet.

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:06 am

Hello Steve,

Outstanding success with your camp trailer !!
It looks great, and it is very nice that you have started using in on camping expeditions !

A big 10-4 on the Florida summer heat breaking 😃😃😃😃

It is great out today, with a little cool breeze.
Perfect weather to work on projects and to go camping .

Have you made a camping trips to historic areas ?

Best Regards,
Ray

Return to “- PHOTO GALLERY - Towed Accessories”