Starting question.

1959 - 1978, M151, M151A1, M151A2, Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the M151.
chevpol
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Starting question.

Post by chevpol » Tue May 10, 2022 12:38 pm

Guys

I seem to have sorted the carburettor problem out, now when I try to start, I get the occasional bang, as if firing, then the starter motor disengages, I try again, a few more loud bangs, then popping through the exhaust.

Am I right in thinking I now have a possible distributor problem? It has electronic ignition.

Mark

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Starting question.

Post by Rickf » Tue May 10, 2022 1:17 pm

I would pull the plugs and see if they are gasoline fouled. This is assuming you know your firing order is correct and your timing is spot on the money. And that you are firing on number one TDC and not Number 3 TDC. Gasoline fouled plugs are about impossible to clean. You need a dedicated spark plug cleaner to do it right. That alone is very good incentive to learn how to start it without flooding it if that is in fact what you find. With spark plugs at 30.00 each and up, if you can even find them!
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

chevpol
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by chevpol » Tue May 10, 2022 10:28 pm

OK thanks, apart from changing the plugs and ckeaning slightly the rota in the distributor, I havnt touched anything else in that area. Was running fine 4 weeks ago then I had the carburettor problems.

Would a faulty coil cause the symptoms oli mentioned?

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Wed May 11, 2022 4:18 am

A bad coil will sound like that as it is failing going down the road but if it is bad just sitting then it is not going to do anything at all. No spark. If you have good spark then it is not the coil. Check the most obvious problem first, do not keep trying to make up new problems, You are just creating more work for yourself and spending money you do not need to spend. And keep in mind one big thing here, most of the parts you will buy nowadays are aftermarket, made in China garbage. So it is very common for an electronic part to be bad right out of the box. You do NOT want to be replacing things unless you absolutely know they are bad. This all started with a carb issue so you need to stay focused on the carb and related parts. I am going to assume you do not have a spark plug cleaner so take them out and clean them very well with carb cleaner followed with brake cleaner and then try them after checking the gap. Do NOT flood the engine! Pull the choke out and crank it but after three of four revolutions of the engine push it back in partially whether it has fired or not. When you stop cranking the accelerator pump will add a shot of gas to the intake tube. When you try to crank again do not use full choke, just partial choke. Gives you a newfound appreciation for computer controlled engine huh? just turn key and it starts, do not have to do anything at all.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Return to “M151's Technical Knowledge Base”