User agency branding on tires

1959 - 1978, M151, M151A1, M151A2, Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the M151.
BCA
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

User agency branding on tires

Post by BCA » Fri May 06, 2022 4:23 pm

In the late 1980’s I saw a batch of TOW missile M151A2 jeeps at the Fort Drum NY DRMO. Some with launch pedestal, some ammo carriers. All of the tires had a white rubber patch about 3”x5” vulcanized onto the tire sidewall. It read “50 AD MATES”. Can anyone decipher this identification? Was it common to identify tires with similar markings?

amb24
G-Private
G-Private
Re: User agency branding on tires

Post by amb24 » Fri May 06, 2022 5:35 pm

MATES stands for Maneuver Area Training Equipment Site. I have a Trailer that once belonged to the National Guard that has MATES marked on it. A friend told me that it was a pool of equipment that they could pull from for training. Here is what I came up with when I did a internet search. “ a. Support activities store and maintain section or platoon sets of equipment at or near training sites for use by units conducting training or units ordered to Federal or State active duty. Support activities provide consolidated maintenance support to the Modified Table of Organization and Equipment (MTOE) and Table of Distribution and Allowances (TDA) contributing units within their respective geographic vicinity. Units shall position equipment at the support activity closest to their primary training area. Support activities reduce over-the-road transport requirements for oversized, tracked, or other equipment restricted by local highway movement regulations and perform field and sustainment tasks (repair and return to user). Overriding training requirements or geographical considerations may dictate placing equipment at a support activity not located at the unit's primary training site.” Several state MATES sites came up.

BCA
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Re: User agency branding on tires

Post by BCA » Sat May 07, 2022 4:43 am

Thank you for the input. I’ll do some more digging. It was interesting that all 5 tires on every M151A2 has the logo so I thought it might be related to the tires... Brian

Return to “M151's Technical Knowledge Base”