No start

1959 - 1978, M151, M151A1, M151A2, Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the M151.
chevpol
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Re: No start

Post by chevpol » Sun May 15, 2022 1:45 am

Not yet, if I could upload a video it eould show that I have spark and very slow cranking even with fully charged batteries!

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Sun May 15, 2022 4:49 am

Have you checked all of the connections at all of the battery cables? Where they meet the body, the batteries and the starter switch? Also keep in mind that these do not turn anywhere near as fast as modern cars. If you have spark, timing is correct and firing order is correct, then compression and fuel are all that is left. You can try taking out all the plugs and shooting a squirt of oil or two in each cylinder and then cranking it for a bit before putting the plugs back in. If you have a compression gauge then do a compression test. If it still does not fire then you have a carburetor issue. You are simply not getting gas if all other things are in order. You say you have had this carburetor apart many times, that is usually not a good thing. Gaskets do not hold up to repeated use like that and I doubt you have put many kits in it. I strongly suggest you try to find another carb.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Tech3140
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Tech3140 » Mon May 16, 2022 7:21 am

Sorry everyone, but this is really bothering me.
Besides me having my A2, I called another member of the MVCC here in California and asked his opinion.
After a hour of talking and a few emails, we’re both baffled by this.

So, here is one last shot at this.
If you press on the gas pedal, does the small throttle disk inside the carburetor open all the way? If no, FIX that first.

Next. If you pull the choke all the way out, on the Dashboard, does the large choke disk inside the carburetor closes ALL the way? If not, fix that.

Bolts not tighten? Fix that too.

Fuel/Petrol in tank? If not, fill tank.

Batteries charged? Not sure? Charge them.

Crack open your M151A2 operators manual and follow the Starting Procedure as out line in the manual.

If it still won’t start, return A2 to the guy you got it from.
Or haul it to a mechanic.

That’s it... it’s all I have left.

chevpol
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by chevpol » Mon May 16, 2022 9:55 am

All right, to answer some questions, the small butterfly disc in the carburettor opens and closes to its full extent, the choke butterfly likewise, petrol is pooled in the carburettor after attempt to start.

Batteries fully charged to 12.8v each but I have noticed that after the attempt to start, the one with all the cables on, nearest the passenger side in the box, is down to 11.8v

After attempt at jump start using a vehicle with the engine running faster than idle, it still turns the starter slowly, but not as slow as on batteries alone however, I have had the engine try to fire. Then the jump vehicle almost stops running.

Beginning to think I should have bought a landrover!!

I will persevere though. I will not be beaten!

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Mon May 16, 2022 10:08 am

Sounds like a dumb question, but then new owners are not used to 24V systems...
Are the batteries connected in series or parallel...?
Series is 24V total output...first grounded battery positive connected to the second battery negative post and you get 24V at second battery positive post.
Parallel (+ to +, - to -) will end up with 12V (a lot of available power, but not 24V the system requires)
W. Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

chevpol
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by chevpol » Mon May 16, 2022 12:21 pm

.yep, connected in series. Thinking now might pull the starter motor off to check for gummed up armatures etc.

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant

Post by markrdje » Mon May 16, 2022 12:45 pm

Put a voltmeter on the batteries so when you try to start it you'll see how low the voltage drops while starting.Hook an ammeter to the starter to see how many amps it draws.Could be bad connections?
change user name to mark

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Mon May 16, 2022 2:24 pm

If you have one battery that is dropping lower than the other battery then you have a battery problem. You had this before and I thought you replaced the batteries? 11.8 volts is a dead battery and you are not going to get spark from one 12 volt battery trying to turn a starter plus dragging a dead battery along for the ride. It seems you keep trying to shortcut things here. You NEED TWO NEW BATTERIES!!!!!!!!!
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Mon May 16, 2022 2:37 pm

This is from one of your other many threads on trying to get this thing started.
OK folks my A2 is now trying to start after I sorted the carb out.

I have 2 RP 44 , 12v, 44Ah 360A batteries on, after it turns over, it tries to catch, them returns to cranking over, when I check the voltage after, both batteries loose their charge, but after a few minutes, both are back up to 12.4v each.

I see that most folks use 12v 45Ah, would 1Ah (x2) make a difference?

On here you mention the batteries are equal after trying to start and they fully recover. This is different from what you are saying here and also in another thread somewhere in here you also mentioned the low battery issue and I said the same thing about needing two new and equal batteries. I thought with the good readings you had done that. With all of this crossed up information I am giving up on this since it appears that we are not being given the most accurate info on exactly what is going on. I have tried numerous times to tell you what you need in the way of batteries and carburetor work and other things and it just keeps working back around to the same problems with the same issues like the dead battery. You really need an onsite mechanic to be able to lay hands on this thing. Sorry, but I am not running around the circle again. What I will tell you, and I never, ever say this, is to get yourself the -10 and -20 manuals for that vehicle and read them. You will learn a lot about what you need to do to fix all of this on your own if you do not want someone else to do it for you.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

chevpol
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by chevpol » Mon May 16, 2022 4:04 pm

I understand the frustration, but when I started 4 weeks ago, these were 2 brand new and equal batteries, I understand I need to download the manuals. And I will do this, but I have said this before, I sm 8 hours infront of most of you, my frustration is waiting for ideas you all come up with, I thank you all for the ideas you have given ne. Fyk now on, I won't post anything until I sm successful

chevpol
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by chevpol » Mon May 16, 2022 4:06 pm

Ignoe Fyk, I meant from, fat finger syndrome!

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Mon May 16, 2022 5:36 pm

Here is the info for Ken, the Mutt guru. He is in London, quite close to you from what I am told. I have talked to him and he is willing to try to help you but I will tell you that he will not put up with a bunch of stuff like has been going on. Ken is one of the most knowledgeable people on the planet when it comes to M151's bar none. He has more data on the 151 than most governments ever had. Take advantage of his offer to help but respect what he says and asks you to do.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1541
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

chevpol
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by chevpol » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:46 am

OK folks

Good news, finally got the mutt running again Tuesday.

Really frustrating time, and I know I have been a right pain in the ass for most of you!

Right, after numerous attempts at sorting the carburettor out, cleaning the various earth points new engine to body earth strap, new fuel (old fiel looked like a pee sample!!) New plugs, new coil ( since put original one back) even another starter motor ( massive improvement over cranking speeds, still no joy.

Did notice though after putting in the replacement starter motor, it did try to catch.

Reading back posts in this forum , i found mention of the 2 finger rule for distributors check mine, it was 1 finger!!! Adjusted to roughly the 2 finger gap, and she fired straight away!

Checked with everything over after short run, batteries were holding a charge of 13.1v the temp was a bit high, but I will do a coolant change, and a slight oil leak on the engine behind the distributor, just new seal I am hoping.

What I can't understand is how it ran home with the distributor so far advanced? Or retarded? ( unsure which way advance and retard are) as I didn't even touch that bit, infact the bolt took a bit of force to move it!!

Anyway, thank you all for putting up with my multiple posts.

Regards

(A happy) Mark!

Libertyforge
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Libertyforge » Sun May 21, 2023 7:20 am

Hi Mark, I just picked up a M151A2, and my problems sound very similar to yours. Can you expand on the 2 finger rule. How do I adjust the Distributor? Vehicle gets spark, and fuel gets to the carb. I got the vehicle on Friday, put 15 miles on it on Saturday, parked it, came out 5 hours later and now it cranks but won’t start. Batteries are good. I just bought it from Armyjeepparts.com. Thanks for any advice. Gene
Gene Hodges
USMC 1983-2004
Prescott AZ

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Mon May 22, 2023 6:18 am

Gene, I answered your first post on the carb question. It is not good policy to post multiple times for the same problem. Give us a chance to get back to you on this stuff. It sounds like you have a fuel to carb issue and I can help you with that but read through what I posted in the other thread and let me know what you find. You want to do one thing at a time or else you will be chasing your tail fixing problems you create that were not there to begin with.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

Return to “M151's Technical Knowledge Base”