MUTT hard to wake up in the morning

1959 - 1978, M151, M151A1, M151A2, Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the M151.
67N20
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant
MUTT hard to wake up in the morning

Post by 67N20 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:36 am

Good morning

First my engine runs sweet, nice smooth idle, no hesitations, runs strong, sounds healthy, starts right up with a touch of the starter......except first start of the day...Just won't start until I give a small shot of starting fluid. Then just a touch of starter button and fires right up, doesn't even crank a full revolution.

Where should i look first ?

Thank you

Clem

GPW1263
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: MUTT hard to wake up in the morning

Post by GPW1263 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:33 am

Fuel supply.

hambone

Post by hambone » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:57 am

Is the choke butterfly fully closing?

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:12 am

Full choke (out), crank and press on accelerator repeatedly (Pump) while cranking, when it sputters (firing) immediately push choke in to 1/4 allowing it to warm, then fully open choke and drive away.
Sometimes the MUTT had to crank a WHOLE lotta times before she would fire off.
Others, would flood the carb, then just flip the ignition off, crank two or three times without pushing Acc and rotate switch to "On" while cranking and she will catch (clears the cylinders)

Try a different technique before troubleshooting systems, it's MUCH cheaper, and every vehicle has it's own twist sometimes.
V/R W. Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:35 am

Pumping the gas pedal will not get you much even when cranking with a vacuum operated accelerator pump. I just pull the choke out full and crank it till it fires once then push the choke in a hair, give it a little gas and crank it again and it fires right up. The choke has to be set so it fully closes. Don't just look at it. Pull the choke cable all the way out and then push it in just a hair. Then go out and loosen the cable bracket holding the choke cable and pull the cable up until it stops. NOW you know the choke is close before the cable runs out of travel. Tighten the cable clamp. Go in and push the choke all the way in and verify that it is all the way open. If it is then you are set and I bet you will no longer have starting issues. Just pull the choke all the way out and crank it till it fires. this is usually around ten revolutions of the engine, they all very. Then push the choke in about halfway and give it a bit of gas and crank again. Every 151 starts differently so you will eventually find the best way to start yours. Remember, it is NOT a new fuel injected car. It is not going to start on it's own.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

67N20
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by 67N20 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:24 am

Good morning .....

First..... I got the mutt starting the way it suppose to.....Hambone and Rickf are correct !! I talked to Billy's carburetor, and that is the thing he mentioned first, So I tried again ( I thought I had it closed all the way,I did this on two other Mutts ). I adjusted as Bill told me to and now all is right in my world. When he rebuilds these He aways puts in a new choke plate.

Once again, thank you Forum !

Clem :)

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:36 am

Why in the world would he replace the choke plate? And where would he even find them? In the hundreds I have done I have never, ever seen a bad choke plate unless it was rusted badly and I think I may have only seen a couple of them and the carbs they were on were way beyond help. Maybe he is referring to removing the choke plate to replace the seals? Whatever, that is his deal.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

67N20
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by 67N20 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:10 am

Well maybe I misunderstood him, All I know is, his directions and this forum gave me the information that got my MUTT running :)

Next Question I did not find answer in -10 or -20. What is side slope limits on M151A1 ? Thought for sure it would be -10.

hambone

Post by hambone » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:15 am

Glad it was an easy fix.

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:07 am

If you need to be looking up side slope limits for an M151 then you are driving the wrong vehicle where you want to drive it!!! It is not the slope limit that will get you, it is when the high side tire rides over a small rock and pushes you over the edge or much more likely when the vehicle starts to slide sideways and the the rear tire catches on something. You will be over before you have a chance to think about it. You had better have a full ROPS in it, with belts ON! These are antique military vehicles, They were never meant to to be mountain goats even in the military. They were meant to traverse rough terrain but not crazy terrain. Basically if you have to think about how steep the side angle is then it is too steep.
I have put my CJ-7 on it's side a couple of times in very slow steep maneuvers and it is surprising just how far you can push it but that is a modern vehicle with solid axles and lockers, WITH a full roll cage and racing harnesses.

And something else to think about is IF it does go over on a sidehill that steep........... it will not stop going over until it gets to the bottom of the hill! The vehicle will be totaled, trust me. I have been in the racing and four wheeling hobby all my life and I have seen that many times. I will not mention the cost in human life.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

Return to “M151's Technical Knowledge Base”