Alternator pulley alignment

1959 - 1978, M151, M151A1, M151A2, Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the M151.
CaptB
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Alternator pulley alignment

Post by CaptB » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:47 am

I have always had a bit of a noise from the belts on my engine and have finally got round to investigating the problem. First off I found that the belts are the wrong size, they are slightly too long so there is no more adjustment left to tighten them. Second, when I look at the alternator pulley it doesn't align correctly with the water pump pulley or crankshaft pulley. I placed a straight edge across the water pump and crankshaft pulleys and they are ok but the alternator sits back about 6mm from both of them. The alternator mounting lugs are in front of the mounting bracket as shown in the manual and I can't see what is causing this misalignment. Any ideas

CaptB
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Re: Alternator pulley alignment

Post by CaptB » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:10 am

Ok managed to solve the problem by slackening off the locking nut on the shaft and drawing the pulley out on the shaft slightly and re tightening the locking nut. Fitted new belts and tensioned now runs without any squealing.

Return to “M151's Technical Knowledge Base”