New member/owner from Cassville MO

1959 - 1978, M151, M151A1, M151A2, Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the M151.
Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: New member/owner from Cassville MO

Post by Rickf » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:03 am

Ok, That eliminates the filters, If any of them were clogged it would show up right away as low flow. They do not clog as you drive and them miraculously clear themselves. I am going to say at this point you need to check the ignition system. Keep a spare plug with you and leave one of the plug wires lightly hand tight at the plug so when it dies you can quickly change that wire to the spare plug and then lay that plug on the valve cover and try to start it. If no start is there also no spark? No spark then you have a bad coil or electronic control module. If it starts back up drive it a little ways on the three cylinders and see if it dies and immediately look at that plug for spark. Intermittent spark issues are very hard to catch without a DSO.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

RoaringRiverRanger
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by RoaringRiverRanger » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:12 am

Any chance it's too much fuel? Seemed like a lot. No extra plugs laying around....guess I'm back to ordering more stuff.
Steve
Cassville, MO
1960 M151
and a bunch of Corvairs...

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:24 am

I'm still going with filter or fuel tank clog.

I had a Mercedes I bought in Germany, it would fly at 130mph for an hour, then sputter to a stop on the side of the Autobahn....5 minutes later started fine, ran for months flying up and down everywhere I went.
Finally about the 4th time it stalled out on me I changed the filter and never had the issue again.
It all depends on the crap closing up the fuel draw as to when this will happen and the only solution is blowing out the lines and changing the filters.

Idle does not present the same fuel flow as varied throttle while driving down the road.
Take a wrench and container with you, drive it and when it stalls out immediately check your fuel flow, then you will know it's not related to that and say it's not a fuel flow issue.
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:45 am

Not going to be too much fuel, you would know it for sure since it would be belching huge clouds of black smoke. Have you ever had this carburetor apart? If so where is the float set? Even if it is low I am thinking if you have good flow then it would die within a minute if it was float related. Since it runs for a longer time I still think electronic. And all of these people that say it is a vacuum in the tank, you have to think just how much gas a 151 uses and how long that tiny bit of gas being pulled out of a 17 gallon tank is going to take to create a vacuum. Unless the tank was full right to the very top it will take hours. That pump will draw around 12" of vacuum bare minimum. And since he has an A2 with the vapor return line if it gets to the point where the pump can no long pull gas out of the tank then when the float opens to call for gas the vacuum in the tank is going to pull air from the carburetor bowl vent back through the needle and vapor return. The tank simply will not go into a large enough vacuum to stop fuel flow.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

RoaringRiverRanger
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by RoaringRiverRanger » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:56 am

And for the latest update: After letting it belch out fuel into the bottle, I let it set and idle for awhile and shut it down. Went out about 30 minutes ago, cranked it over and it fired right up. I let it sit for a bit idling while I messed with some stuff in the garage. Hopped in (with an armload of tools) and took off down the road. I put four miles on it, up and down the highway in front of the house and other than it sputtering shifting into third and it still not sounding like a perfect idle at the tailpipe, it DID NOT DIE. Parked it, shut it off and then fired it up again, then drove another mile with no dying. WTH....not complaining but...what was it? Also, now getting a "clunk" from the rear somewhere when I let out on the clutch and it grabs hold. IDK.... :roll:
Steve
Cassville, MO
1960 M151

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:12 am

Have you greased all 12 u-joints, four axle fittings and checked the differential bolts to see if they are tight?
I am guessing that like a lot of new owners you hot this thing and did an oil change and a few basic checks and started driving it. If you go to the g838.org site and look at the Technical section there is a thread there right at the top that says "Before you ask". It gives a list of most all of the things you need to do before asking for help since most of that stuff will solve any of the normal problems these vehicles have. Below is a link to that thread.

https://g838.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2395

I should make up another one pertaining to what you should do before you drive your new mutt for the first time. As much as I absolutely HATE to be one of those guys who say to read the f***** manual, there are two manuals you really do have to read with a mutt. The -10 operators manual if you were not a driver in the military and the lube order. Reading both of these will assure that you will be in a good position to be able to go out and enjoy your first ride without drama or vehicle failure.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

RoaringRiverRanger
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by RoaringRiverRanger » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:27 am

Yes I did Grease everything and tighten everything per the manual. I have both of those books, it's just been 40 years since I've driven one of these or worked on one. Hate to write off the fuel thing as a fluke but I'll take it. Appreciate all the help I'll probably be back asking more silly questions!
Steve
Cassville, MO
1960 M151

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:50 pm

There is no such thing as a silly or stupid question.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

Return to “M151's Technical Knowledge Base”