M151A2 starting after 5 years

1959 - 1978, M151, M151A1, M151A2, Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the M151.
m151dave
G-Private
G-Private

M151A2 starting after 5 years

Post by m151dave » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:31 am

I have just got back to working on my M151A2 after I retired and finally have time to take care of important things.

When I parked it 5 years ago it ran, but had a bad clutch. Since then I have replaced the clutch and relevant bits that go with it. It started right up and the clutch works great, however it is idling real rough and a little fast.

I wanted to bounce a few things off the guys in the group that have lots of experience with the bringing the Mutts back to life.
I figured I would pull the plugs and check them over, clean as needed and check the gap
I replace the fuel filter and also the flexible hose running from the hard line to the carb
Oil, water both check out great though I did have to trim the heater hose ends as they were weeping when the engine first fired up
I was going to check the adjustment on the throttle linkage, making sure that the adjustment on the link had not been jostled on that threaded rod
I was also planning to run some Sea Foam through the carb just to be sure the carb was cleaned out pretty good.

The gas when the Mutt was parked was treated with Stabil but I am pretty sure the product was never intended to protect the fuel for 5 years. The tank was full and when I pulled the fuel strainer out the mesh had turned blue and you could not see through the mesh. The filter in the tank has also just been replaced. The Mutt was stored with a full tank.

I have scrubbed out the tank, added some fuel and then cranked the engine, catching the fuel in a clear container so I could see if a lot of crap was showing up. Nothing was present but gas.

Perhaps this topic has been covered before, trust me I searched and did not find anything specific to the M151. I would appreciate any thoughts about anything helpful or things I might have missed. I have a Veteran's Appreciation Day parade on May 15th and I really want to have my baby running good so I can show it off.

Dave Brubaker
Disabled Vet
US Army 1974-77 1st Infantry
Sr. Network Engineer - Boeing Defense Retired (at last!)

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: M151A2 starting after 5 years

Post by Rickf » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:17 pm

Dave, you should try the Seafoam and see what happens. I am guessing you are probably going to have to rebuild the carb or have it rebuilt. The gas that was left in there would have evaporated and left gunk and deposits behind, Stabil or not. But if it seems like the accelerator pump is still working I would rung a gallon of Seafoam mix through there from a separate can so you can get the proper strength without having to mix a ton of it in the tank. If it feels like it is working then mix 10 gallons of mix in the tank and drive it around for a while. Maybe you will be lucky and not have to do anything at all.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m151dave
G-Private
G-Private

Post by m151dave » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:01 pm

Thank you! The Sea Foam I have is an aerosol can that you feed in through the carburetor mouth. I will try that first and then if I see improvement I will get the quantity you are talking about.

Fil Bonica
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Fil Bonica » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:46 pm

In addition to those things I would look at the valve train for proper movement.
These engines have a habit of getting sticking valves.

Good luck.

Fil Bonica

m151dave
G-Private
G-Private

Post by m151dave » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:47 am

Thanks! Will do.

Hypnogator
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Hypnogator » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:38 pm

If you determine your carb needs work, and don't have the expertise to fine-tune it yourself, I heartily recommend Brooks Engine Service in Clearwater Florida. You can reach them at 727-441-9891.
I'm afraid I've reached that stage in life where I prefer a pedantic evening at home to a bracing exchange of gunfire in the dark.

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant

Post by markrdje » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:54 pm

I tried them once, you don't get your original carburetor back, you get one on the shelf from somewhere else
change user name to mark

Return to “M151's Technical Knowledge Base”