Gas pump conversion

1959 - 1978, M151, M151A1, M151A2, Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the M151.
Gunbunny198
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Gas pump conversion

Post by Gunbunny198 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:29 am

Hello,

So I am buying a 151A1 and would like to know what else is need besides the mechanical pump to go from electric in tank to mechanical. And also besides getting the duel fuel/ vacuum pump how do you draw vacuum from the engine to keep the wipers going.

Tanks for any help in advance.

Gunbunny

GI.
Sergeant Major [E-9]

Re: Gas pump conversion

Post by GI. » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:57 am

Gunbunny,
This may not be the correct way to do it but it has been working for me 15 years now. I connected into my fuel tank supply line [to the left of voltage reg] ran that line to the new fuel pump and back to the carb. then disconnected the elect wire to the elect. fuel pump.
Bought all the fuel lines at auto-zone.
As far as the wipers go I think you can connect them to the intake manifold, ether of the two blocked plug's [square plug's].
To me wipers on a M151 are just for look's, I don't drive the jeep in the rain, if I get caught in the rain their is always the manual way to get you home. but if you must have them, follow the above. good luck.
67 M-151A1

Gunbunny198
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Gunbunny198 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:11 am

GI. wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:57 am
Gunbunny,
This may not be the correct way to do it but it has been working for me 15 years now. I connected into my fuel tank supply line [to the left of voltage reg] ran that line to the new fuel pump and back to the carb. then disconnected the elect wire to the elect. fuel pump.
Bought all the fuel lines at auto-zone.
As far as the wipers go I think you can connect them to the intake manifold, ether of the two blocked plug's [square plug's].
To me wipers on a M151 are just for look's, I don't drive the jeep in the rain, if I get caught in the rain their is always the manual way to get you home. but if you must have them, follow the above. good luck.
GI,

So the the fuel supply line still draws through the in tank pump once connected to the mechanical? As for the wipers, I agree with you fully. Just looking for the easy way to pass an inspection as my state requires one every two years.

Much thanks

GI.
Sergeant Major [E-9]

Post by GI. » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:30 am

Yes it does, at least it does on mine, I have not had a problem.
The wipers will work fine connected to one of the plug's on the intake manifold, I have not tried it on my jeep but my friend has his hooked up that way and they work ok. the only reason I do not have mine hooked up is the state of GA. does an emission test only.

Maybe some real expert's here can help out.
67 M-151A1

Gunbunny198
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Gunbunny198 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:40 am

GI. wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:30 am
Yes it does, at least it does on mine, I have not had a problem.
The wipers will work fine connected to one of the plug's on the intake manifold, I have not tried it on my jeep but my friend has his hooked up that way and they work ok. the only reason I do not have mine hooked up is the state of GA. does an emission test only.

Maybe some real expert's here can help out.
GI,

Again thanks. One last question, do you know what kind of an adaptor is needed to plug into the intake?

Gunbunny198

GI.
Sergeant Major [E-9]

Post by GI. » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:00 pm

I don't remember what type fitting he used but it was a pretty common fitting, prob. got it at a NAPA, or auto-zone, or a hard ware store, just take one of the plug's from the intake with you, should not be much of a prob.
67 M-151A1

Return to “M151's Technical Knowledge Base”