Replacing Pivot Arm inside Transmission

1959 - 1978, M151, M151A1, M151A2, Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the M151.
bartman762
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
Replacing Pivot Arm inside Transmission

Post by bartman762 » Thu May 31, 2018 3:58 am

Hello all,
First post after seven years.....of lurking.
After winter, I noticed Jeep was not dripping as much oil on the floor as usual so I decided to check fluid levels without checking out the Forum First.
Well I did it too......Removed the pivot arm bolt and dropped the shifter to the bottom of the Transmission.

After searching forum, I put the Transmission in Neutral,removed the top cover,found the shifter,and placed the shifter arm back on. Now the Top Cover goes back on but will not align perfectly with the Transmission bolt holes.

Currently, the shifter arm is on the pivot bolt ,but it is very sloppy preventing the top of the shifter arm from fitting into the slot of the Reverse shifting rod in the Top Cover.
I’m thinking I do not have the Bottom of shifter arm positioned correctly to engage the reverse idler gear, ..
I read earlier that I may need to drain oil to see how to position bottom of shifter arm into the reverse idler gear.
I have pictures and can take additional photos if necessary.....
Thanks all,
Bartman

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Replacing Pivot Arm inside Transmission

Post by Rickf » Thu May 31, 2018 5:08 am

You pretty much have all the right ideas, not much more I can offer. It sounds like you have the bottom off of the idler like you say. You can try fishing around with the fork and try to feel it. you should be able to get an idea which side of the idler you are on right now and then pull the shaft and just lift up and hove it a little bit in that direction and try to feel it slide over the idler and put the shaft back in. I would give it one try and if you don't get it then drain it and look in there with a small inspection mirror and see where you need to be.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

bartman762
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by bartman762 » Thu May 31, 2018 6:06 am

Rick,
Thanks for your response.
As long as I know that the bottom needs to snap in place, I can monkey with it a bit.
So, I’m guessing that once the bottom snaps in place, and the pivot bolt is installed through Transmission case, the shift lever should firm up & top cover should pop back on and all bolt holes will align?
Hope to be back by Friday to give it a try.
Thanks again,
Bartman762

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Thu May 31, 2018 7:47 am

Assuming the reverse gear is set to neutral then yes. Everyone makes a big deal about the transmission "having" to be in neutral or the world will come to an end and you will NEVER get it back together, Horsesh*t! If the shift forks on top are not all lined up in a row you just take a big assed screwdriver and pry the one that is out into the correct position, gently. You are doing the same thing that the shifter is doing. NOW, That being said, If you have two gears engaged at the same time before you put the cover on then you are not going to be able to get things together and will have to get all the gears in neutral first. That is rare that it happens that way. Usually people forget to take it out of gear before taking it apart. No big deal. You just can't have two gears engaged at the same time. So in your case make sure 1-2 and 3-4 are in neutral before playing with reverse.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

bartman762
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
Re:FIXED!!!! Replacing Pivot Arm inside Transmission

Post by bartman762 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:27 am

Hey Rick,
Thank you sir for all of your help........
I was able to get the Shifter Arm back in and the Shifter's Bottom Hook to slide into the Reverse Idler Gear.
Note to the next Guy that does this:
The Reverse Idler Gear has two slots, use the Slot towards the Front of the Jeep. Once hooked the Pivot Bolt went in easy and the
Top Transmission Cover Slipped right on, with all Bolt Holes aligned.
It also helped that I drained the Old Transmission Oil out, so i could see the Front Slot of the Reverse Idler Gear.
Also found straight 90 wt Gear Oil labeled GL4 at a local "Car Quest" for $14.99 per gallon.

Was trying to post a few pictures, but i am not sure how or if i need permission..
I found some sort of switch dangling near the Outside of the Transmission / Transfer Case. Would like to figure out where it goes or what it does before i button everything up.
I will start a separate post for that issue.

Bartman

steveperryman
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by steveperryman » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:35 pm

HI all, this thread was invaluable to me, especially about moving the shifter into neutral... Want you all to know this info helps people far and wide..

Thanks

-Steve

Return to “M151's Technical Knowledge Base”