M151A1?

1959 - 1978, M151, M151A1, M151A2, Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the M151.
Jimmyjack68
G-Corporal
G-Corporal
M151A1?

Post by Jimmyjack68 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:24 pm

Good afternoon,

New member here. I am buying a MUTT in the coming weeks, but I do not know too much about what I am getting just yet, so don't be too harsh.

The person I am buying from is very knowledgable about military vehicles, but doesn't know much about the 151 specifically.

The data plate shows it's a Ford M151A1. Delivered in 6-1966. I showed some photos of the MUTT I am buying to a knowledgable buddy of mine, who noticed the front fender, lights and windshield are that of an A2 (single piece windshield, large NATO turn lamps, indents in the fender for turn lamps).

My question to the community... Could the data plate be incorrect, and attached to an A2? Would someone put an A1 plate on an A2?

Engine is an AMG with orange sticker on top. How do I determine year, since the Data plate is most likely wrong?

I am having difficulties attaching photos to this post, so maybe I could send them directly. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you much

-Ehren
Last edited by Jimmyjack68 on Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

redcoat54th
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Re: M151A1?

Post by redcoat54th » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:56 pm

Welcome to the world of Military vehicles. I am relatively new here myself but have found everyone to be very helpful. Life gets fun when you fine someone local to share the hobby with. I recommend joining the MVPA - they have great monthly publications that will help you source your parts etc.
I have the manuals for the M151 series in digital form: I can send you if you PM me your email.You can look through the manuals to see what you have and how it all works. Once again welcome, Bob
British Army (Royal Signals). US Army 1st Air Cav (UH1H pilot)
Prime mover 1965 M151A1
Trailer M416
MVPA #37617

Jimmyjack68
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Jimmyjack68 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:19 pm

Thanks, Bob. I shot you an email.

Jimmyjack68
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Jimmyjack68 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:21 pm

I think I have determined the M151 is an A2. At some point, somebody affixed a 1966 Ford A1 Data plate to the dash. The engine is an AMG motor with the orange emission sticker on top. Now I have to try to determine the actual year of the vehicle.

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:44 am

The orange emission sticker should have a "meets standards for the year of" type statement, or a little number code in the corner which the sticker was printed in which will narrow your year down, but the engine or valve cover may have been swapped out over the years so it's not 100% certain.

Sounds like what you are buying is NOT an A1, the A2 did not come out till about '71, and the titling of this vehicle was an attempt to get around registering an A2 that slipped out of the system without a real SF-97 sale from US Govt. (not that it's important to US Govt. now) Most of the A2's were crushed instead of being released, many are rewelds from the earlier cross body cut before being surplused, so careful inspection along the frame under the driver and passenger area may yield a welding repair.

I wonder if the rear suspension connects parallel to the center line like two "A" frames with the bottom legs attached near each other (Basic and A1), or does it mount on 4 tabs across the body behind the driver and passenger seats? (A2)

Bottom line, there is a discrepancy between the vehicle and the title, I would clear that up 1st with the local DMV unless you are comfortable in the paperwork being what it is.
You can replace the A1 dataplate with an A2 dataplate, but the title will need correcting if you want it to be correct, or are subject to frequent inspections which care about those matters, even in antiques.

Can't technically represent Vietnam War in theater, but then most everyone doesn't realize that only the A2 TOW jeeps went overseas before US participation tapered off ( see '72 Plieku photo of TOW jeeps in column) the rest of the M151A1's continued in country until we pulled out, with most being turned over to the ARVN.

There may be a tag by your right ankle near the accelerator pedal which can provide you with some other numbers folks here can help you narrow the year down for the body.
V/R W. Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Fil Bonica
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Fil Bonica » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:07 am

If it is registered and titled niw Dont fuss with it.
You may open a can of worms that you cant close.
There are tons of 151s out there with questionable heritage.
Have lots of fun with it!

Fil Bonica

Jimmyjack68
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Jimmyjack68 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:52 pm

Thanks all for the replies.

I agree with the possible titling issue. I assume someone attached the A1 plate to register it. I think I will leave it how it is on paper to avoid any potential drama. I still would like to know what I have (for my own personal knowledge). I will be seeing the vehicle next week, and hopefully bringing her home with me. I will post my findings.

Despite the data plate issue, it's a great looking A2 MUTT, and I am excited to finally own one!

Thanks again

Fil Bonica
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Fil Bonica » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:23 pm

Before you take ownership I would closely inspect the vehicle especially the bottom side.
Is it cut or uncut.
Is there any rust or have there been any repairs.
Hope this helps and doesnt scare you away.

Fil Bonica

Jimmyjack68
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Jimmyjack68 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:07 pm

Will do. The MUTT is uncut. I know that for sure, but I will definitely double check. Will do a good inspection for rust too. thanks for the tips.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:30 am

I rode in, and drove (because some of my drivers were not good; why do you think they weren't doing their real job), M151s in the Army for 25 years, before we got HUMVEEs. I never understood where the term MUTT came from as I assure you, no one ever called them that.
Early ones are death traps, with the independent suspension, and later ones aren't much better. Which is why we put the ROP kits on them; many soldiers were killed and injured from the front wheels tucking under and causing a rollover. That is why the DOT would not let the Army sell them; I watched hundreds crushed from my office window on RIA one summer in the early 90s.
The Unibody construction and coil spring suspension were both bad ideas, to me.
Have fun with it.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Kurt Lesser
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Kurt Lesser » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:14 am

dpcd67, did you ever take a look under one of the early Ford Taurus's? They used the same suspension there but must have figured out how to limit the control arm travel somehow.

BTW. MUTT stands for Military Utility Tactical Truck but I agree that few people ever called them by that name.
Kurt Lesser
US Navy, 1969-1975
M996A1 Ambulance w/M101A3 Trailer
M274A2 Mule
M151A1 Mutt w/M416B1 Trailer
M890 Crew cab

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:33 am

They used the exact same front suspension in the straight 151, the A1 and the A2. The rear suspension in the straights and the A1's was a swing arm design and would have a positive camber exactly like the VW bug. The A2 went with the trailing arm suspension to eliminate the roll issue. They then found out that for the most part that it was not the suspensions fault and it was the 18 year old hot rod drivers faults. How many HMMWV's have ended up on their lids and killed people? You can roll anything. Soldiers rolled MB's, M38's and M38a1's also.

And MUTT stands for Multipurpose Utility Tactical Truck, Not Military.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:19 am

I learned to call them MUTTS in the late 60's as Dad was an Infantry Officer, and I had to hang around work or the O-club many nights (G3 Opns type guy is always working and socializing late) and would read the PS Magazines laying around the office....they were cartoons, I was a kid, go figure.

So I disagree that they did not call them MUTTs, rather it's easier to state slang of 'Go get a: quarter ton/deuce/five ton' in spoken language. Ever heard someone say go get a "Beaver" (2-1/2T Deuce's name) out of the motorpool? they would have likely found something not related to animal or vehicle...

And if the MUTTs were really so dangerous, how come the Ford Escape has nearly the same design?
It's the driver/lack of friction/speed/inertia which combine to make it sloppy on (and sometimes off) road.

There were no roll over training aids in the 60's -90's, but they sure do have them for HUMVEEs and MRAPs now, and the 5T M900 series had the worst record out there for rolling due to locking up the transmission and skidding sideways. All of these are sold off without whimpering or press releases of their rollover potential.

I'm starting to sound like some other frequent poster now...I'll stop.

Side note, I have LTC Thad Mendenhall's (USA Ret,Deceased in 2016) old M151A2 he bought from DRMO as "jeep residue" (found the sales papers with matching hood/data numbers, no SF-97 though) which was sold off by DRMO... it had been in a minor wreck from what I can see, bent the fender, right A-frame and hood lip, about a year or two after entering service in '71 (my memory here), so they sent it to the CAN point where the engine, and many parts wandered off. I will restore it next year, (Liberty truck takes priority) but the fender will have to be an AMC or AM General replacement part (two piece turn signal depression in those) VS the Ford style pressed cup up front. Shouldn't matter much as it's part of the vehicles history, but I will weld it up nicely (better than a motorpool repair would ever do...)
Neat to have an early un-cut, (un-rusted!) Ford A2 in the house.
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Hell On Wheels
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Hell On Wheels » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:35 pm

Rick,
You hit the nail on the head nothing is GI proof :mrgreen:
Robert

1966 - M151A1
1986 - M998