Jeep M38

For posting personal or other photos of the relevant G740, G758, M38, M38A1, M170 MV's for this Forum
tiltonb
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Jeep M38

Post by tiltonb » Sat May 07, 2022 6:47 pm

This is my new project. The previous owner tried to put an M38A! motor in, but never completed the job, It looks like it has sat in the field for a while. After a good cleaning, I have a better idea of the job ahead. I will need to find several parts, a complete windshield and frame, tailgate hinges, seat frames, a mirror with the post, motor mounts, along with a lot of odds and ends.
Attachments
14.jpg

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: Jeep M38

Post by 70th Division » Sun May 08, 2022 6:09 am

Hello,

Welcome to the G503 !!!!
Congratulations on your new Jeep project !
It looks pretty decent, they are awesome jeeps, and plenty of parts are available.
The more jeeps restored the better !

Please post more pictures when you can, and I saw a rear seat for sale here on the G for your jeep.
There are lower seat springs available on ebay for the front seats, as well as rear seat springs.

Just keep collecting parts as you go along, and Ron has a tremendous amount of parts available !!

Many G members have parts available as well.

Original rims are fairly common for the Jeep as well, so they will be easy to find.

I would look at getting new tires, as the prices seem to be going up with oil prices !!

Check with Jegs, Summit, even on ebay for original Coker Firestone tires for your jeep.

Jegs has free shipping, Summit charges $9 shipping per tire.
They both carry US made Coker Firestone tires for your jeep.

Keep us posted,

Best Regards,
Ray

tiltonb
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by tiltonb » Sun May 08, 2022 2:13 pm

Thank you. There is a long list of parts I have to get. I am working on the motor mounts right now. I pulled the spark plugs, and cylinder four had some rust.
Attachments
1 (8).jpg
1 (7).jpg
1 (6).jpg
1 (5).jpg
1 (4).jpg
1 (3).jpg
1 (2).jpg
1 (1).jpg

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Mon May 09, 2022 6:36 pm

tiltonb wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 2:13 pm
Thank you. There is a long list of parts I have to get. I am working on the motor mounts right now. I pulled the spark plugs, and cylinder four had some rust.
Hello,
Nice pictures !

First , the body looks pretty good and restorable .
The tailgate is an original military one.
I am thinking you can repair that hinge by carefully cutting away the rusted section, and spot welding in a new piece of metal just above the hinge pin.

The floors look good, just cut away only the rusted metal areas, just to the egde of the good metal.
That way, the patches will be smaller and easier to make and weld into position.

The engine appears to be from a later model jeep, as your jeep would have come with a flat head engine, that looks like the WW2 and CJ2a /3a jeep engines.

It looks like it was from an M151 Army jeep.

If you can get it running, that will be a good start to getting her up and running.
You may eventually be able to trade it for an original engine in the future if you wanted?
The M38 engines are fairly easy to locate on ebay, market place, etc.
Here on the G as well.

It will be a fun project, and enjoyable, saving a piece of US History !!!

Keep us posted,

Best Regards,
Ray

tiltonb
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by tiltonb » Mon May 09, 2022 7:14 pm

Thank you, I am starting on the rust for now, while trying to find a M38 motor. This is a long-term project so I'm not in a hurry.

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Mon May 09, 2022 8:14 pm

tiltonb wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 7:14 pm
Thank you, I am starting on the rust for now, while trying to find a M38 motor. This is a long-term project so I'm not in a hurry.
Yes !!

Absolutely !

If I see any engines, I will let you know.

Keep 'em Rolling !!

WeeBee has the best canvas tops, and seat cushions available when you get to that point !

Best Regards,
Ray

tiltonb
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by tiltonb » Wed May 18, 2022 2:27 pm

M38.jpg

tiltonb
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by tiltonb » Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:06 pm

I found a donor Jeep. I am trying to find out what it was. The motor doesn't have the serial number, the motor was rebuilt and shaved. The M38 frame is in ruff shape. Some one took a cutting torch to it. I'm going to use the donar frame.
Attachments
Jeep (10).jpg

Return to “- PHOTO GALLERY -”