New to me M38A1

For posting personal or other photos of the relevant G740, G758, M38, M38A1, M170 MV's for this Forum
AFM38A1
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

New to me M38A1

Post by AFM38A1 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:05 pm

Hi
New member here.
Just bought a nice rust free running, driving A1.
I used a 1977 CJ-5 (stock with the factory V-8) for years as a daily driver in Texas, despite it being 20 years old.
Sadly, I had to sell it when we moved to a colder climate, yes, lane excuse but the two of us had four cars.
Always wanted a A1, the first vehicle I drove...A neighbor had one (surplus in faded blue) when I was 10 and he taught me how to drive it on a remote part of the Air Base we lived on.
He was a great guy, he later became a hero in Vietnam for flying unarmed reconnaissance missions. The real deal. I want my Jeep to honor him...and my Texas friend, a retired Air Force loadmaster who was a huge Jeep fan/expert.

So, I mentioned to a friend, a official in the state MVPA, I might be in the market for one (too tall for a flat fender) and he knew a guy on the other side of the state who was selling one at a very good price...about half of the asking prices I normally see. He even brought it across the state to service it and to fix minor issues, like an Ohio fuel gauge, before the sale.

The paint was okay, nothing great. But I asked the MV shop doing the repairs if they could fix some issues (re-seal it, put in a new wiring harness to replace the Well past its "best by" date), and repaint it in correct AF blue.
The data plate showed it was built the month after I was born, so I'll put it in the markings of my father's Wing at the time.

Since I don't know the military serial or have any history on it, I'll mark it as 55K, then the last 4 or 5 of the Willys serial as seen on the dataplate.

Online I found very few period photos of Strata Blue AF Jeeps...and a bunch of later restorations with varying shades of blue...many are far too bright.
Si o, if you have any shots or info on AF A1s, I'd love to see them.
And if course, any suggestion would be welcome.
I plan on taking it to car shows where my other old cars don't fit in.
M38A1 MD 82551. Built 3/1955. Purchased in Nov. 2021.
Former owner/restorer of 1977 Jeep CJ-5 Renegade Levis Edition.
All stock w/factory V-8. Used as a daily driver for 7 years.

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: New to me M38A1

Post by 70th Division » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:13 am

Hello

Welcome to the G !!!
It sounds like you have a great Jeep
project !!

Please post some pictures when you can.

I have so noticed that there really are not too many pictures of original M38A1 jeeps in service available online.

That is a great mystery to me, it is just strange that even for Army versions, let alone Air Force pictures, not many at all !

These are great jeeps, I am working on my 1953 jeep, that is rust free, with a few dents, but I am almost ready to try to start the engine .
I have to re-tape the wiring under the hood, as many areas the covering has flaked off.
If I can tape it up, that would be a huge savings vs. getting a new harness. They are very expensive !
Mine is still 24 volt, and is complete under the hood.

The M38a1 certainly is comfortable and has plenty of leg room in the front seat areas.

Keep us posted !!!

Best Regards ,
Ray

Pat Gray
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: New to me M38A1

Post by Pat Gray » Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:21 am

Welcome!
Congratulations on you M38A1. Keep us posted on your progress.

Pat

Return to “- PHOTO GALLERY -”