GI CJ5 in Korea

For posting personal or other photos of the relevant G740, G758, M38, M38A1, M170 MV's for this Forum
khakiweb
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

GI CJ5 in Korea

Post by khakiweb » Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:33 pm

Just for fun, here's a photo of a studly young trooper posing on a Army CJ5 in the middle of South Korea in 1981. I remember virtually nothing about the jeep, except that it rattled very badly going over rough roads, and seemed to have had no suspension; also, no one ever did any PMCS on it, nor was there anyone particularly responsible for it, except perhaps the Platoon Sgt. It was just 'there' for the MP security detachment to use, and all we ever did was take it to the POL Point for gas every now and then.
Attachments
k3.jpg
CJ5 in Korea

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: GI CJ5 in Korea

Post by 70th Division » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:00 pm

Hello,

Wow a great picture !!!
Thank You for your Army service !!!

That is a pretty rare US Army Jeep right there, a CJ5 !!

I don't think anyone knows the US Army used any 😁😁😁

You may have just made some CJ5 owners happy now that they can restore one as an Army Jeep !!

Pretty incredible actually, it has US Army hood numbers, and an Army license plate.
It also has bumper markings on the front bumper, and likely had them on the rear bumperettes as well.

I have never seen one in Army service !!

Thanks so much for posting !!

Update:
I found some great info on the G about this model jeep in military service !

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=283246&hilit=1974+ ... ry+Jeep%3F

Best Regards,
Ray

Warren Duchesne
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Warren Duchesne » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:41 pm

I have a very nice condition original data plate off of one of those Jeep’s. I would sell it if someone needs it. Thanks

Frank USMC
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Frank USMC » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:48 pm

We had them in the Marines, funny part of the story is last I rode in one was while I was a Security Forces Marine in Japan, in the same year as the poster khakiweb in 1981!
It was a bare bones CJ5 with a hard top. Just an off the shelf 100% stock CJ5
My driver came very close to flipping ours being stupid in a parking lot. he got it up on two wheels, still do not know why we did not roll over. A Marine officer saw us and walked over....just as he went to speck I stopped him and asked him to leave because I did not want him to witness what I was about to say and do to my driver. The officer walked off.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Return to “- PHOTO GALLERY -”