Project Salty

For posting personal or other photos of the relevant G740, G758, M38, M38A1, M170 MV's for this Forum
Coastiereid
G-Private
G-Private

Project Salty

Post by Coastiereid » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:13 am

Guys,

I am new to the Jeep, military vehicle world. Recently purchased a 1952 M38 from PA. It had a NY title before that and was used as a plow Jeep for years (30) before the guy I bought it from picked it up.

The body is terrible and I have intentions to replace the tub.
Engine runs, it’s running rich but runs.

I have served 21 years in the USCG and intend to paint it up in that fashion. What was Army, has been painted blue and also yellow and then army green again in it’s life.

Not my first vehicle project. I built a 1963 F100 I named Shipwrecked (Coastiereid on YouTube). It’s just about done and I will start on Salty after my next deployment in Spring. I was a Chief Machinery Technician, but this year promote democracy to Chief Warrant Officer 2 (Naval engineer) and servings on my 5th Cutter.

Right now just gathering knowledge

Both dash and tub tags are in place and match my title.

Take care,
april.
The months May change but I’m always April

23 year USCG LT Naval Engineer (Mustang)
OIF, OND 2010-2012
Have served on 6 Cutters and get sea sick😒🤨

https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid

Ed Roberts
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Re: Project Salty

Post by Ed Roberts » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:56 pm

CoastieR..Welcome here, Shipmate! I take care of PSU 312 here in the Bay Area for the US Navy League and use my Jeep frequently for the promotion of Unit support (read family help and events) and the care and feeding of (mostly) young enlisted. Let us know where you are and assistance will soon follow. For those that may not know, a PSU is a Port Security Unit tasked with close-in bay and harbor security in critical US/International ports. Welcome again, Chief. Excuse me...Mister CoastieReid.

BZ, Eddie
V/r Eddie
1942 GPW #5739 "Sentimental Reasons"
MVPA & MVCC

Coastiereid
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Coastiereid » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:41 am

Nothing new been done. been cleaning out my garage and trying to get my 1963 F100 to run so I can take it for its first drive in 7 years.

plan is to purchase a body kit from Kaisers in the summer and get the jeep running. I have a patrol to sail on soon, so I am not looking to start this just yet.
The months May change but I’m always April

23 year USCG LT Naval Engineer (Mustang)
OIF, OND 2010-2012
Have served on 6 Cutters and get sea sick😒🤨

https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid

JMZ421
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by JMZ421 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:55 am

I watched that 12 minute video. You do have the two most important plates with serial numbers on them. Remove that master plate and paint it up and re-install with correct rivets. Keep those plates. You can find original plates and the reproductions are pretty good. Also, you have the original hood registration numbers. I would try to find an original body that may need a little repair rather than a new replacement. This way you will have an original M38. You have a nice truck and trailer so picking up this stuff should not be an issue. John

Return to “- PHOTO GALLERY -”