Original 1953 M38A-1 So Very Nice !

For posting personal or other photos of the relevant G740, G758, M38, M38A1, M170 MV's for this Forum
70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: Original 1953 M38A-1 So Very Nice !

Post by 70th Division » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:52 pm

Hello,

I have booked a trucker via a broker here in Florida.
The jeep should be picked up this Friday, and be on its way :D :D :D
If all works out great, I will post the truck broker's contact info in transportation section.
$1,200 all set.
$100 via credit card to broker, after pick up contract was approved and sent to me and the trucker.
I was also given trucker contact info as well.

Will pay trucker $1,100 upon delivery.

This will be the 3rd jeep that I have had shipped via this process, all went great for the first two.
The M-38A1 should be just as smooth :D

I have already bought nos rear seat seat cushions on ebay, they are great !
Now need to find some front seat cushions, or the seat back springs.

Also, I have in the works the purchase and shipping of an nos top bow assembly, being shipped via greyhound package express !
Greyhound is way cheaper than fedex or ups.
I have used them several times before, and simply picked up the jeep hoods, and Dodge WC windshield at the nearest Greyhound bus station . They ship bus station to bus station, with a tracking number.
I like them, their system works.

Best Regards,
Ray

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:22 pm

Hello,

This beauty is on its way east to Florida !!
The trucker showed up right on time, and is now on the way from the Great Salt Lake City area.

Ray

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:52 pm

Hello,

This jeep has sat idle long enough !!!
It is in my Jeep Barn, but I want it up and running, and want it now :D :D :D
The first thing to tackle is the stinky gas tank issue.
I have decided that I can actually repair and restore the original gas tank.
I don't like the looks, or cost of a "new" gas tank.
An NOS one, yes all for it, but not the current reproductions, if I can save this one.
M38A1 gastank 14.jpg
If you have a decent gas tank that isn't totally shot, here are some tips that should help .
Keep in mind I have never done this before :D
So, I have decided to restore my original gas tank instead of using a somewhat ugly replacement one.
The tank had nasty rotten gas sludge in it. Terrible smelling sludge and hazardous no doubt
to smell that stuff !!
There was only a little in there, but I had gotten it poured out some time back.

Yesterday I opened the cap and it still is nasty smelling, and I was out doors, of course.
I had learned from G member Radomonster from his WLA Harley rebuild that he used
"The Works" toilet bowl cleaner to clean his gas tank and it worked flawlessly.
However.....due to who knows what, maybe the virus, Dollar General store is completely out of supply of the product.
I remembered an old timer stopped by last year and mentioned that he used Pine Sol in the tank to clean out the nastiness and sludge. DG had plenty of that virus killing cleaning solution in stock.
Be sure to wear gloves and a respirator. Once on your hands it stinks and is hard to wash off.

Also where safety glasses, as they recommend that as it is an irritant !!

I got several big bottles and poured it in.
M38a1 Gastank 12.jpg
Immediately the gas stink was gone 100 percent.
Replacing that was Pine Sol stink :D :D :D
m38a1 gastank 16.jpg
Best to wear your respirator, like I didn't, but do now when around the Pine Sol.
Ok, today day I removed the filter assembly from the tank and sending unit.
Having watched some youtube videos of a motorcycle guy using Pine Sol to clean a gunked out carburetor I had high hopes.
m38a1 gastank 3a.jpg
Well, let me tell you, the part of the fuel filter assembly when pulled out of the tank that was sitting in Pine Sol overnight, wiped down to like new metal condition :D :D
m38a1 gastank 9.jpg
M38a1 Gastank 10.jpg
In the second picture, I only wiped this off with a paper towel, look how clean !
You can see the upper white line is where the Pine Sol added reached it .
So I made a vat of Pine Sol and put the entire assembly in its own drink , and the sending unit as well.

I will post pictures of the entire assembly tomorrow that will be sitting submerged overnight.

The brass float has corroded through so I just ordered a brass replacement float.
I am expecting that this Pine Sol based restoration project will work perfectly to clean the sludge from the tank.

I will get several more gallons of it and fill the tank to the top and let it sit.

The tank itself looks like someone dropped it when full once and dented a bottom factory seam. I will straighten out the dented and damaged seam the best I can.
m38a1 gastank 11.jpg
There is a pin hole leak from that seam area.There was also a crease made on the bottom from the dent, and after sitting many years like that, has some fine rust pitting along the 2 inch crease, and a pin hole leak.
The plan will be to blast the entire area white, and use a solder bar, and solder up the seam, and the crease with the 2 pin hole leaks. The pin holes developed from the outside of the tank going in, not from the inside going out. It was only in the dent damaged area and from sitting in the gas tank well with dirt,water, etc. where the only issue is on the tank.

The solder may be an old fashioned repair but it will work, and not deteriorate.
The drain plug assembly on the tank was soldered in from the factory, and has been looking great since 1953 :D
I am looking forward to trying this repair method and having a rock solid repaired gas tank to put back in the Jeep.

This will hopefully get my jeep closer to being started !!!

Best Regards,
Ray

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:43 pm

Hello,

I hope this will help other M38A1 jeep owners with their USA Hood number.

The USA Hood Number on this 1953 Willys M38A1Jeep is :

U.S.A. 20989373

The USA font is a "curvy" type lettering used on the stencil as well as the numbers.

It has about 3 additional sets of the same number, so has had several repaints.
The additional number sets had a "US Army" then the number.

It started out with the U.S.A., and then went to the U.S. Army when the change over pattern was initiated to that use.

This jeep, based on the bumper numbers uncovered, appears to have served in the
Wisconsin Army National Guard, in a Combat Engineering Unit, based at Fort McCoy.
I will have to get it outside to get the bumper pictures to post.
A Wisconsin native, neighbor, noticed the numbers and told me that it was from Wisconsin.
My internet search had concluded that as well, but I was happy that he saw it.
He himself served in the 1st Infantry Division in Vietnam, and his father was a P-40, and later a P-51 pilot, who was shot down over France.
Luckily the Great French Underground got to him first, and got him out , and he got back to England.
This Jeep was sent to Utah as part of the surplus vehicle assistance program to a Sheriffs office there in a remote location.

It must have been in great shape before it arrived because there is no rust on it !!!
The engine was rebuilt in I think 1977 or so, by the US Army, at a regional overhaul depot.

I will get a picture when I can to post.

Best Regards,
Ray

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:56 pm

Hello,

The fuel filter assembly is still soaking in Pine Sol.
I will get that done tomorrow.

I did get the original AC Model- C fuel tank sending unit cleaned up and oiled with WD-40.
M38a1 Sending unit 12.jpg
This unit is very well made, and operates with the float turning 2 gears as is rises or lowers.

The gears were extra stuck with shellac from old gasoline.
Even after sitting overnight in the Pine Sol, they were stuck.
However, very close tolerances with shellac, were no match for the Pine Sol, followed up with a razor blade
worked under the metal pieces that the gears attach to. I got it loose and cleaned out the shellac, and now it functions and moves with the 2 gears perfectly.

Here are some pictures of what the unit assembly looks like now.
The gray material on the bottom of the gear is solder that was applied at the AC factory back in 1953 :D
From crud covered rusty looking stuck on shellac to great clean and oiled up shape.
M38a1 Sending unit 5.jpg
M38a1 Sending unit 6.jpg
M38a1 Sending unit 1.jpg
M38a1 Sending unit  9.jpg
M38a1 Sending unit 6b.jpg
In the picture above, that lower gear was the one that was stuck with shellac between the 90 degree bend and the gear. It is very tight tolerance but came clean with the razor blade working into the gap between the two pieces.
M38a1 Sending unit 2.jpg
The brass " barrel" float clips on the C at the bottom of the float rod seen in the picture above.

I am very pleased with the Pine Sol clean up so far !!
This unit will be restored with a new brass float that is on the way.
The electric connection part seems to be solid state, and sealed.
If need be I can get it open to repair any issues there, but it should be fine.
The cap comes of by taking out the copper button hole rivets or whatever they are called.
New rivets would be needed to be located and reinstalled if it comes to that.
It really is a precision piece of work :D :D

Best Regards,
Ray

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:21 pm

Hello,

The tank components are coming together really nice, and I will post pics when completed.
I do recommend the Pine Sol, as it has worked great removing the sludge and rusty gunk !!!

In the mean time, here are some action photos of the engine and what she looks like under the hood.
All original and untouched by civilian non jeep types :D
Except the red battery cable that the guy I bought it from installed to let me know the jeep turns over nice :D
I will be sending the carb out to get rebuilt by Scout Pilot, as well as my GPW carb.
Oz posted the video of his rebuilt carb that Scout posted on you tube. Awesome skills on display !
m38a1 engine.jpg
m38a1 engine 2.jpg
Here is a picture of the Military Regional Repair Depot engine rebuild tag.
Note the date, I am assuming 1977 :D :D :D
m38a1 engine 3.jpg
CSMS stands for : Combined Support Maintenance Shop

I am guessing this replaced the Base Work Shop system used during WW2 run by various service commands ?

I hope she starts right up like new, as nobody has run this jeep since it was transferred to a county government likely back in the late 1970's ?
m38a1 31.jpg
Best Regards,
Ray

Pat Gray
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Pat Gray » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:18 pm

Looks great Ray!! I wish mine looked that good when I found it. It's been a little cold up my way for the last few days so I have been indoors. Keep us posted on your progress!!

Thanks for the update!

Pat

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:47 pm

Hello,

Thanks Pat !!
I am sure yours is going to be looking good soon !
It is in better shape than most, so just start with a small area, then get the next area, and pretty soon it will be done :D :D

I just spoke with Scout Pilot tonight, and I will be sending him the carburetor to overhaul to like new condition.
I won't even fool with starting it until it is overhauled, and then with the new fuel system, aka cleaned and repaired tank, new in tank filter, then freshly rebuilt carburetor it should start right up !!

I will put some pictures up tomorrow of the restored sending unit and fuel filter assembly.
They have come out great !!

Best Regards,
Ray

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:20 am

A little starting tip on M-38/M-38A1. When starting these two Jeep when cold, it will do no good to pump the gas, the YS does not have an accelerator pump. The M-38A1 is the fastest starting Jeep in the world, mine starts in 1/2 to 1 revolution no matter the outside temperature, just pull the choke and the instant it starts, immediately push it back in. I never use the priming lever and it is best not to as over use will result in the lever breaking off.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:21 am

Hello,

Thanks for that great technical info Joe !
Greatly appreciated !
I am certainly looking forward to getting her running soon, and quick starting will be such a nice
thing to hear :D :D :D

Everything has pegged out great on the Ohm meter for the sending unit, so that will work fine.
The fuel filter assembly has restored very nicely and clean as can be.
The original fuel filter looks solid, but I am not sure if it is good or needs replacing.

I know you mentioned you have been using your original fuel filter since 1971 or so,
so maybe with the cleaning, mine will be ok ?

I will post some pictures, maybe you could tell by looking at it ?
It would be great if it was still in a serviceable condition.

Best Regards,
Ray

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:51 pm

Hello,

Here are some pictures of the gas tank modules repaired.
All is looking great so far :D

Here is the sending unit , an AC Model C.
The new brass float just arrived, and I will post a pic with it installed on the C shaped tail of the unit.
m38a1f5.jpg
m38a1f29.jpg
Here is the fuel filter assembly, it cleaned up nice :
m38a1f12.jpg
m38a1f3.jpg
Here are the maker marks on the brass elbow the fuel line attaches to, looks like a W with an arrow through it. If anyone knows who the manufacturer was, please post it here !!
m38a1f2.jpg
m38a1f8.jpg
I put the original cleaned fuel filter back in position, to align the beam for repair.
m38a1f11.jpg
The vertical steel beam that the filter mounts on needed a repair on 2 spot welds that didn't take back in 1953.
Here is the area that I needed to re-spot weld.
m38a1f14.jpg
The top wasn't attached to the beam.

Now it is, and I spotted it in the same spots.
m38a1f15.jpg
You can see the good penetration that will keep this assembly in great shape :D :D
The nice finished top of the fuel filter assembly
m38a1f16.jpg
Last edited by 70th Division on Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:01 pm

Hello,

Here is the fuel tank vent assembly.
It seems to operate like a very low pressure thermostat, designed to release gas tank vapors that build up .
m38a1f4.jpg
m38a1f10.jpg

Best Regards,
Ray

Warren Duchesne
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Warren Duchesne » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:04 am

I’m not sure but that looks like the m38a1 that I owned at one time. I am going to try and find pictures.

Warren Duchesne
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Warren Duchesne » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:13 am

Not the same Jeep but another very original M38A1
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=157752&p=911031&hi ... le#p911031

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:58 am

Hello Warren,

Wow, that looks like a great Jeep !!!

I like it !!!

A sister jeep to mine :D :D
I am amazed it had its maintenance binder with it, someone took great care of that jeep for a long time,
before it was put out side.

Did it get restored ?

M38A1Pictures006.jpg
M38A1Pictures015.jpg
M38A1Pictures005.jpg
Best Regards,
Ray

Return to “- PHOTO GALLERY -”