1952 M38 (service w/ the Greek military?)

For posting personal or other photos of the relevant G740, G758, M38, M38A1, M170 MV's for this Forum
Paulsead
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

1952 M38 (service w/ the Greek military?)

Post by Paulsead » Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:16 pm

Last Summer I bought a 1952 M38 from a guy in MN. He purchased it from a guy in TN (Sep 2021.) Go figure the “VIN” number on the title didn’t match the data plate, and no plate behind the passenger seat on the rear wheel well. The two numbers are a couple thousand off. But that aside it came with original TMs: TM 9-1804B, TM 9-1826A, TM 9-1825B and TM 9-1804A. They came in a black spray painted ammo can with L. C. Woods stenciled on the bottom. I have also purchased TM 9-8012, TM 9-1804B, and the updated green M38 1/4 Ton Reference Guide. I believe it saw service with the Greek military because under the hood is, I think, “Watch your head” in Greek. Looks like could be some Greek graffiti carved in the steering wheel also. The paint scheme appears to be of Greek nature, based on photos I have seen on this forum. It has a mod job of a M38A1 hand brake installed between the front seats. I am not sure the year of the antenna mount, definitely not original, but has a ‘50s era radio installed. Has the whip antenna and two head sets also. There is an interesting white oval metal tag with a light blue circle attached to the grill. I can see many layers of paint on the front bumper. Under a couple shades of green I can see white and a royal blue. I am pretty sure across the drivers side front bumper there are numbers visible under many layers of paint chipping. I need to replace a number of seals. I have many “class III” leaks. The breaking distance seems too extreme. Hoping to inspect that this Spring. Can any one confirm or tell me more about these surplus M38s in service to the Greeks!? I have seen a thread from quite a few years ago touching on this subject. Not sure if that gentleman is still around.
Attachments
M38 Passenger Side.jpg
M38 Underhood.jpg
M38 Grill Tag.jpg
M38 Antenna Mount.jpg
M38 Drivers Side.jpg
M38 Radio.jpg
Adam Paulsen
1952-M38

BATMOBILE1
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Re: 1952 M38 (service w/ the Greek military?)

Post by BATMOBILE1 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:23 pm

Hi Adam,

That’s a great looking M38 you have there,the antenna mount doesn’t look American to me but the matching unit does,it looks like a MX-2799,used up till mid 60’s then was replaced by the MX-6707.the matching unit is worth quite a bit on its own.
I’m also collecting Manuals , there’s so many. And the reference guide I’ve found very useful ,also nice to see black and white pictures of them in service,you don’t see that many as it never made it out to Vietnam.
There’s a few companies in Greece still selling the M38 , www.army-sparepats.com . Www.military-sp. . And … wwwmilitary-trading.com
Funny thing is I thing at least two of the companies are related to each other.lol
94 locating Regt RA,57 Bty B troop 1982-1985.
32 Heavy Regt RA,57 Bty D droop 1985-1990.
M38 1952 ,restoration project
Dodge 1/2 ton WC-24 Chassis WC-6 body..combo.
Dodge 1951 M43 ,SOLD
Harley Davidson WLA.type IV. SOLD

Paulsead
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Paulsead » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:31 pm

Thanks! I just wish I had more info about it and its military record. I am pretty grateful to find one with an original radio, even if the antenna mount isn’t. But it’s a part of its history, much like that little white and blue tag attached on the grill. I was able to get a clear-ish picture of a plate at the bottom of the engine on the passenger side. See attached. After I originally created this post I noticed the speedometer is in kilo meters per hour. Hahaha!
Attachments
Greek Engine Tag.jpg
Adam Paulsen
1952-M38

YLG80
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by YLG80 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:14 am

Paulsead wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:31 pm
After I originally created this post I noticed the speedometer is in kilo meters per hour. Hahaha!
He, it's also part of her history ... but kind of annoying, I admit :lol:
It reminds me when I was driving last year from Dublin to the Irish West (Donegal) coast along the border between the Eire and the Northern Ireland.
Sometimes the road is in the UK... with mph signs, a few km, sorry miles further, you are back in the EU with km/h signs.
The car speedometer did not follow the change :lol: !
Yves
Ford GPW 1943 - Louisville - DoD 12-7-43
serial 164794
Yves de Ryckel

Paulsead
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Paulsead » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:38 am

Hahahaha! That’s fantastic. Those speedometers sure don’t like to change over like signs. Tricky navigating between the two so seamlessly.
Adam Paulsen
1952-M38

Paulsead
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Paulsead » Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:02 pm

In my ignorance I informed my county Treasurer the “VIN” number didn’t match the S/N on the data plate. That sent me on a journey that was most educational. I had it inspected by an officer. He asked if I could show him where on this M-38 the number from the title was. You don’t know what you don’t know. I told him I couldn’t. He informed me I had to submit for a bonded title. I started that process last Aug. Over the 4th of July weekend my brother-in-law and I were working on it. Nothing major just replacing seals and bearings. While it was up on the lift I happened to be looking it over. Low and behold, I found that number from the title stamped into the frame between the drivers side front tire and bumper. Very discrete. No plate or tag. Just a stamping. I called this morning. Chatted with the original inspector and he gave me a thumbs up! I headed to the treasurer’s office and now have a new title and Veteran plates thanks to my military service! Life sure is good!
Adam Paulsen
1952-M38

Dave M38A1
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Dave M38A1 » Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:33 pm

I agree, Cool Jeep. Even when working well, they do take a while to stop, and you still have to plan for your stop. The Greek lettering and European speedo add to the character and history of that Jeep. I haves seen some threads on adjusting the brakes using the eccentrics. I like the originality of that Jeep and glad you got a title.

Dave
Dave M38A1
1953 M38A1
1964 USMC M38A1
M274 A5 Mule (Pepe')
64 CJ5
97 TJ Wrangler (Son's Ride)

Paulsead
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Paulsead » Tue Jul 09, 2024 5:59 am

Thanks Dave! I am pretty jazzed about it and its prior service with the Greeks. So many nods to its time with them. Hahaha! Of course I would love to learn more about Jeeps and the Greeks. Good to know about the brakes and planning your stop. Also good to know about threads adjusting the brakes using the eccentrics! It is such a relief to have it titled and understand where the “VIN” came from. Hahaha!

Adam
Adam Paulsen
1952-M38

Dave M38A1

Post by Dave M38A1 » Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:17 am

Pretty cool! Always on pins and needles getting the titles for these old Jeeps.
1st M38A1 came from Virginia, and the inspectors weren't sure for a little while, but after doing some searching on their end, gave me the title. The next 2 came from South Carolina, and the inspector was really nice, but it took FOREVER to get the titles in the mail due to COVID. Met a guy at a military show who had a Lend-Lease MB that he got in England.
He named it Mortimer:
The history is fascinating! Hopefully more history will turn up.
Enjoy that cool Jeep!

Dave
Dave M38A1
1953 M38A1
1964 USMC M38A1
M274 A5 Mule (Pepe')
64 CJ5
97 TJ Wrangler (Son's Ride)

Return to “- PHOTO GALLERY -”