Nimitz Living History Detachment

For posting personal or other photos of the relevant US MV's for this Forum
fjm
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Nimitz Living History Detachment

Post by fjm » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:40 pm

Hi Guys,

I am in the Nimitz Living History Detachment K Company at the National Museum of the Pacific War. Thought you all might like to see a few photos of our battlefield and DUKW.
Can post more if anyone is interested.
Attachments
DSCF9552.JPG
DSCF9550.JPG
DSCF9551.JPG
DSCF9581.JPG
DSCF9578.JPG
DSCF9577.JPG
DSCF9574.JPG

GPW1263

Re: Nimitz Living History Detachment

Post by GPW1263 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:17 pm

I and another guy restored that DUKW for the Nimitz's amphibious landing event wayyyyy back when. We put it in the water for the first time in something like 25 years.

As I recall, it was parked because of broken rocker arms (which did not happen on my watch).

Glad to see that it is finally in under cover. What is its status?

Cheers,
GPW1263

fjm

Post by fjm » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:23 am

DUKW was recently "refurbished" cost was about 70K, it starts runs and stops but hull is not water tight & it is not truly "restored", on a short run last week, nearly caught fire due to an oil leak!

It looks pretty good but we cannot let it "escape" because if it ever found water it could be a disaster!

FM

GPW1263

Post by GPW1263 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:44 am

The hull was water tight, I can assure you of that. We swam that DUKW for several days with NO leaks (as witnessed by a very capable fellow named Franz whose last name escapes me at the moment) who was, at that time, an employee of Brent Mullins.

Afterwards, the museum seemed to lose interest in it and it sat outside collecting (and holding) water. Because no overhead cover for it was forthcoming, we drilled holes in the hull to allow the water to drain...5/8" if memory serves; a hole size that was easily welded up if future use required it.

Unfortunately, DUKWs are a special vehicle that require special attention and dedication. As to the level of 'restoration', the owner (the museum) called the shots and we did the work. No work was done to the pneumatic system, however which was something I would have liked to have addressed. With that work completed, it functioned just as a DUKW should. If you would like to know more, PM me.

Cheers,
GPW1263

fjm

Post by fjm » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:49 am

Interesting! Not water worthy now!

Yes would like any information/details on this Dukw, information may be of value to current mechanic at motor pool , Arron he has been trying to get a better budget from museum for care of vehicles but to no avail.

3 jeeps apart awaiting parts and time , 2. Cckw not road worthy, Stewart running but not reliable , same with halftrack.

What years were you at Nimitz?

GPW1263

Post by GPW1263 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:16 am

Galveston East Beach Landing took place in 1997. Don't recall exactly how long I was involved with the museum but it was over the course of many years.

Sending you a PM.

Frank USMC
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Frank USMC » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:33 am

If you repaired the DUKW hull and the museum let it sat outside, you are off the hook for any leaks.
In the 1950s, at Camp Lejeune, NC, they had 2 Marines, and their full time job everyday was welding DUKW hulls.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

GPW1263

Post by GPW1263 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:25 pm

I patched that hull until I was blue in the face. Then, we filled it with water to make sure there weren't any leaks because I sure wasn't going to be the cause of it sinking, I can tell ya that!

But, yes, blame for rust perforation beyond that period in time is strictly on the museum. That may sound like an indictment but to be entirely fair, things were happening quickly around there and most of what the museum is today didn't even exist back then so the fruit of that decision is what it is. One dries one's tears, patches one's holes and moves on.

I just went in one day with my drill and drilled holes to let the water OUT because I could see where things were going to go. Sadly, I was just a volunteer with no authority to make the big decisions.

Cheers,
GPW1263

Return to “- PHOTO GALLERY -”