HELP WITH ID

For posting personal or other photos of the relevant US MV's for this Forum
DesertRick
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major
HELP WITH ID

Post by DesertRick » Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:31 pm

Hope I have this is the right section. Working with a museum and wondering what these items are and if they're sellable? Most are from the WWII Desert Training Center. They could be from a WWII tank or a jeep and everything in between.

Tailight housing

Data plate, for what?

The middle item looks to be a heavy duty socket. I've found that the far right bracket holds tank treads together.

From an more modern aircraft? This is 3 pieces

There's more as I go through the boxes of donated items.

Rick

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Re: HELP WITH ID

Post by W. Winget » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:48 pm

Taillight housing for many types of WWII into Korean War vehicle with the "Door" assembly (part with holes cut out), missing the light bulb assemblies inside.

Looks like engine dataplate for 6 cylinder engine, Hall Scotts were HUGE trucks.

Long socket bar is a tire iron for trucks, WWII through modern period, square end changes out the rear two part dual lug adapters (look at a semi truck sometime)
Track end pice both links shoes together and in this case keeps road wheel on top of track, so it's something like an M3 or M4 tank track would use with outer guides.
Can't recall the triangle with round hole or other triangle piece but seen them before somewhere.

Last item is a set of sabot petals from a modern 105 or 120mm APDS (Armor Piercing Discarding Sabot) M1(M60) tank round. These fly off the center armor piercing rod continues down range (likely not the depleted uranium real one but the practice model) Might be the FSAPDS model as well (Fin Stabilized APDS) Those lugs are cast in nylon keeping the petals together until the winds catches in the other end and peels them away from the core rod. (shown with back currently at top of photo)
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

DesertRick
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by DesertRick » Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:59 am

Thanks for the ID. It's real helpful. The items were acquired from a guy who scoured the old WWII Desert Training Center divisional camps (mainly) picking up everything in sight. And I mean everything. There's blobs of melted aluminum from burn pits to pieces of wood that were once perhaps an ammo crate but is unknown today. He had a jeep, so I think he tried to make sure he found the motor pool areas as there's more vehicle parts mixed in with all the other stuff. I'll probably be posting more pics for ID.

Rick

DesertRick
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by DesertRick » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:23 pm

Ok...a few more itlems.

Tailight housing, a little different

? The thing I don't like about it is the pin such as used on a hand grenade, or just to loop it onto something.

? These are painted on a hard board. I don't know what it's called, but is solid and has a sorta cross hatch design on it

? Museum has quite a few of these

Rick

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:42 pm

One side of mil vehicles had a visible stoplight and used the oval "Door" to hold it in place. This one has the blackout marker and blackout stop light holes for the other (right hand) side of the vehicle.

The ring is to both pull the ignitor, or set the piece up for a trip wire to pull it. Should be hole in other end where a fuse would be inserted. Fuse starts everything from demo charges to det cord, unscrewed you will find a firing pin and cap as an ignitor.

The rectangles look like late 70s placards mounted L/R mud flaps with 3M reflective tape to warn traffic behind the vehicle of the back of the truck.

The bent metal is a top corner of a top bow piece. Truck beds had stake pockets that a straight board rose up from, then mounted the metal corner to join a curved board to the other side. Then canvas is placed above the top bows covering the bed. Since WWII, not WWI.

W. Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

DesertRick
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by DesertRick » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:50 pm

Thanks again!
All the items are from either WWII or the 1964 Exercise Desert Strike. I'm throwing the igniter in the pile of items that EOD will have to deal with. Don't want anyone hurting themselves.

Rick

Big44maghunter
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Big44maghunter » Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:23 am

The hard board items are mine field mine location indicators and were used in the mine crate as the box dividers. M1, m1a1 mines. You can still see the round outline of the mine from when in the box.
S.E. Michigan
1942 GPW
1943 White Halftrack
1942 Autocar Halftrack

DesertRick
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by DesertRick » Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:33 am

Thanks for that as it makes sense. These were donated too....

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:39 am

DesertRick wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:33 am
Thanks for that as it makes sense. These were donated too....
Hello Rick,

Those look like WW2 M1A1 training mines.
if you decide to sell them, feel free to let me know, or post them here on the G.

I think they were often seen on the mine racks along the side of halftracks.

Best Regards,
Ray

Return to “- PHOTO GALLERY -”