1944 GPW

Post your jeep photos, Pre or Post restoration. Bragging Photos etc. Also LIFE jeep photos.
gmanca
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

1944 GPW

Post by gmanca » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:27 am

My 1944 GPW, S/N 186731, D.O.D 2-29-44. Most of it is original, I know the restoration is far from perfect, maybe even far from good, and some details are still missing. But I'm reasonably pleased with the result so far. Any comment or suggestion will be greatly appreciated. (I know I have to switch the bumperettes' positions)
GPW.jpg
GPW2.jpg
GPW3.jpg
GPW4.jpg
GPW5.jpg
Last edited by gmanca on Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ford GPW
Serial No. 186731
Frame No. 186731
D.O.D 2-29-44 (Louisville)

YLG80
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: 1944 GPW

Post by YLG80 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:55 am

gmanca wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:27 am
My 1944 GPW, S/N 176831, D.O.D 2-29-44. Most of it is original, I know the restoration is far from perfect, maybe even far from good, and some details are still missing. But I'm reasonably pleased with the result so far. Any comment or suggestion will be greatly appreciated. (I know I have to switch the bumperettes' positions)
GPW.jpgGPW2.jpgGPW3.jpgGPW4.jpgGPW5.jpg
Congratulations.
This is a very nice jeep!
Thanks for sharing the photos with us.
Yves

PS Please note that the serial number 176831 in your post is different than the one in your signature.
Ford GPW 1943 - Louisville - DoD 12-7-43
serial 164794

gmanca
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by gmanca » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:10 am

You're right! My mistake!
Thanks,
GM
YLG80 wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:55 am
gmanca wrote:
My 1944 GPW, S/N 176831, D.O.D 2-29-44. Most of it is original, I know the restoration is far from perfect, maybe even far from good, and some details are still missing. But I'm reasonably pleased with the result so far. Any comment or suggestion will be greatly appreciated. (I know I have to switch the bumperettes' positions)
Congratulations.
This is a very nice jeep!
Thanks for sharing the photos with us.
Yves

PS Please note that the serial number 176831 in your post is different than the one in your signature.
Ford GPW
Serial No. 186731
Frame No. 186731

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:06 am

gmanca wrote:
My 1944 GPW, S/N 186731, D.O.D 2-29-44. Most of it is original, I know the restoration is far from perfect, maybe even far from good, and some details are still missing. But I'm reasonably pleased with the result so far. Any comment or suggestion will be greatly appreciated. (I know I have to switch the bumperettes' positions)
Hello Gmanca,

Wow your jeep looks awesome !
Thanks so much for posting pictures of your GPW !
You are doing a very nice job on her, a few more little things and she will be perfect :D :D
Keep up your good work :D :D :D

Do you know any history on the jeep ?
Do you have any pictures before you started the restoration ?

I found a USA newspaper article form May 7, 1945 , that was talking already about selling jeeps to the Italian Government.
I was amazed to read that, especially since it was before WW2 had ended.
Here is a picture of the article :
Resized_20201226_175137(1).jpeg
So Jeeps have been available in beautiful Italy since 1945 !!

Best Regards,
Ray

gmanca
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by gmanca » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:01 am

Thank you Ray!
Yes still some details to add, some others to fix 😁
These are the oldest pictures I have, late 70s with a little version of me at the wheel 😬
Screenshot_20220614_204009.jpg
Screenshot_20220614_204051.jpg
There a was a first restoration tentative in the early 80s but in those days there was no internet so it was almost impossible to get all the correct information on how to properly restore a jeep. It was a very poor job and it sat unused for a long time, until I decided to bring her back to the life she deserves.
The jeep was bought in the early 60s by my dad, he was a medical lieutenant during the WWII, and he was taken prisoner by the Germans in 1943, spent about two years in a concentration camp and the first thing he remembered from the day of his liberation in 1945 were the American soldiers entering the camp with the Jeeps, so he bought one as soon as he had the occasion. This one in particular was used by the regional geology department here in Sardinia and before that was certainly used by the Italian Police in the 50s, I found the old color used by the police in those years under the white coating. They made a lot of modifications to it, it had metal doors mounted on hinges, a 12V electrical system with parts from Italian cars but most of it has remained original I still have the original generator, voltage regulator, filterette cover. Tub, frame, seats, instruments, engine, combat rims etc. are original.
I don't know anything about the military history unfortunately, I estimated the hood number using the hood number estimator tool.
I really would like to know more about her history but I know it's almost impossible.
Thank you again for your appreciation,
GM

70th Division wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:06 am
gmanca wrote:
Hello Gmanca,

You are doing a very nice job on her, a few more little things and she will be perfect :D :D

I found a USA newspaper article form May 7, 1945 , that was talking already about selling jeeps to the Italian Government.

Best Regards,
Ray
Ford GPW
Serial No. 186731
Frame No. 186731

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:14 am

gmanca wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:01 am
Thank you Ray!
These are the oldest pictures I have, late 70s with a little version of me at the wheel 😬
Screenshot_20220614_204009.jpgScreenshot_20220614_204051.jpg

There a was a first restoration tentative in the early 80s but in those days there was no internet so it was almost impossible to get all the correct information on how to properly restore a jeep. It was a very poor job and it sat unused for a long time, until I decided to bring her back to the life she deserves.
The jeep was bought in the early 60s by my dad, he was a medical lieutenant during the WWII, and he was taken prisoner by the Germans in 1943, spent about two years in a concentration camp and the first thing he remembered from the day of his liberation in 1945 were the American soldiers entering the camp with the Jeeps, so he bought one as soon as he had the occasion. This one in particular was used by the regional geology department here in Sardinia and before that was certainly used by the Italian Police in the 50s, I found the old color used by the police in those years under the white coating. They made a lot of modifications to it, it had metal doors mounted on hinges, a 12V electrical system with parts from Italian cars but most of it has remained original I still have the original generator, voltage regulator, filterette cover. Tub, frame, seats, instruments, engine, combat rims etc. are original.
I don't know anything about the military history unfortunately, I estimated the hood number using the hood number estimator tool.
I really would like to know more about her history but I know it's almost impossible.
GM

70th Division wrote:
gmanca wrote:
Hello Gmanca,

Best Regards,
Ray

Hello,

Those are great pictures of you and your Family jeep from the old days !!

That is so nice that you still have such a nice jeep treasure, and all the years with it in the family.
You have done a great restoration job on her, and she looks great !!

Tom W on facebook may be able to give you the original USA number that it left the factory with in 1944.

A great story about your Father, and that you have a lot of the Jeeps history in Sardinia !!

I have a 1942 Louisville GPW with its original USA number.
8-6-42 delivery date.

Best Regards,
Ray

gmanca
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by gmanca » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:46 am

Thank you Ray for your kind words and for your suggestion about Tom W: I will look for him on Facebook and try to get the original hood numbers. Mine is a Louisville one too, according to the data plate (1/4 T designation for the model should indicate Louisville)
Kind regards,
GM

70th Division wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:14 am
gmanca wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:01 am
Thank you Ray!
Screenshot_20220614_204009.jpgScreenshot_20220614_204051.jpg

GM

70th Division wrote:

Hello Gmanca,

Best Regards,
Ray

Hello,

Those are great pictures of you and your Family jeep from the old days !!

That is so nice that you still have such a nice jeep treasure, and all the years with it in the family.
You have done a great restoration job on her, and she looks great !!

Tom W on facebook may be able to give you the original USA number that it left the factory with in 1944.

A great story about your Father, and that you have a lot of the Jeeps history in Sardinia !!

I have a 1942 Louisville GPW with its original USA number.
8-6-42 delivery date.

Best Regards,
Ray
Ford GPW
Serial No. 186731
Frame No. 186731

fightingiron
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by fightingiron » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:40 pm

The only time most military equipment looks pristine is when it arrives new to the motor pool. First trip to the field they are now used. Your jeep looks better then a pristine one because that is how they really look. Good job...
1943 M3 Halftrack
1942 Ford GPW
1942 WC56 Command Car
1942 GMC CCKW 353
1952 XM107E2 Water Buffalo
1943 M5A1 Stuart Tank (gone but not forgotten)

Klaas
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Klaas » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:34 pm

gmanca wrote:
Hello GM, your jeep is already looking good. A few points, since you are asking for them: I see a bolt and a hub cap missing on the front axle hub. The little plate under the bonnet (hood) catches should be on the inside of the bonnet / hood in staled of under the catches on the outside.
Also your windshield is leaning back a lot. There is a measurement from the top of the windshield to the rear of the body which will tell you the correct position ( according to information in an old post it is 66 1/2 inches, see here: viewtopic.php?t=58190 and http://www.odcloth.com/mbgpwinfo.html). There is something odd about the bottom of the windshield and the inner frame dimensions when compared to standard but that will be connected to the jeep's history so you might want to leave it like that. Enjoy your jeep!
Klaas
GPW17331 - April 21 1942 - Dallas, "J-dot"
BSA Airborne Bicycle R49171 - 1944

gmanca
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by gmanca » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:32 pm

Thank you Klaas,
yes both hub caps are missing, I had the original ones but unfortunately they went lost: I will replace them with replicas, and add the missing bolt too.
Many people told me about the reinforcement brackets and the windshield rake on the facebook groups: moving the brackets on the inside of the hood will be easy, straightening the windshield will be more difficult I guess. Yes I know the windshield is a bit strange and the inner frame is too big: I think it's all part of the post-war modifications made here in Italy.

Thanks for your feedback,
GM
Klaas wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:34 pm
gmanca wrote:
Hello GM, your jeep is already looking good. A few points, since you are asking for them: I see a bolt and a hub cap missing on the front axle hub. The little plate under the bonnet (hood) catches should be on the inside of the bonnet / hood in staled of under the catches on the outside.
Also your windshield is leaning back a lot. There is a measurement from the top of the windshield to the rear of the body which will tell you the correct position ( according to information in an old post it is 66 1/2 inches, see here: viewtopic.php?t=58190 and http://www.odcloth.com/mbgpwinfo.html). There is something odd about the bottom of the windshield and the inner frame dimensions when compared to standard but that will be connected to the jeep's history so you might want to leave it like that. Enjoy your jeep!
Ford GPW
Serial No. 186731
Frame No. 186731

gmanca
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by gmanca » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:34 pm

Thanks a lot, yes I will fix the most obviously wrong things but some others will stay as they are, they're part of her history after all.
Regards,
GM
fightingiron wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:40 pm
The only time most military equipment looks pristine is when it arrives new to the motor pool. First trip to the field they are now used. Your jeep looks better then a pristine one because that is how they really look. Good job...
Ford GPW
Serial No. 186731
Frame No. 186731

FredRG
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by FredRG » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:13 pm

Way to go, man! Looking great already

gmanca
G-Staff Sergeant